Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Detailed my Caliber today, got MOST of it done. hard to deticate the time i wanted to it when im also watching my 6 month old boy. started around noon, and had to call it quits when it started to get dark. i got everything done but the final wax... so ill do that in the morning and maybe get a couple more pics up.
I usually start out by doing the engine bay... for this i use a damp wrag w/ soap and water, cover all my electrical components, then do a light wrinse with the hose. Afterwards i detail it up with a rag, and a detailing brush, and some WD-40.
I then wash the wheels,calipers and wheel wells with warm water and Meguires Classic Gold car shampoo.
After cleaning the wheels i dump the wash bucket and refill with bath temp water, and again use the Meguires Classic Gold on the entire exterior of the car. (usually wash it twice) and i always use Microfiber rags or a microfiber wash mit to wash the car.
I then dry it off using The Absorber drying towel and a microfiber cloth to get up all the little spots... (btw, the grill leaks water like a mother f**** and it drives me crazy)
After its completely dry i go around the entire exterior of the car with a claybar and Mothers Showtime deap cleaner. This is an annoying process just for the fact that you cant let the Mothers Showtime dry, or you have to go over it again. So, you always have to have a dry microfiber cloth on you to dry the small areas after you use the claybar. Now, what the clay bar does, is it picks up all the deap dirt thats built up in the clear coat that washing doesnt get it... its very affective and leaves your car silky smooth.
When i was done with the clay bar i took out my Craftsman power buffer and went over the entire car with some 3M cream rubbing compound... to get out and small scuffs or mild scratching that may have developed here and there.
As far as the exterior thats all that sunlight and my kid allowed today. I got the interior completely done using Armor All Multi Purpose Upholstery cleaner, and Meguires interior shine (and a vacuum ;) ) also used a couple detail brushes to clean around the bezzles and airvents to get rid of any dust build up. Also finished detailing the wheels, and hit it real quick with some Meguires Tire Shine.
Tomorrow ill use the Mothers Carnuba Wax on it (by hand of coarse) and the finish it with the Meguires Finishing wax.
Wish i had a picture of how dirty it was b4... but i forgot... it had gotten rained on many times, sprinklers hit it when it was windy, and hadnt been washed in about a month...sad.
also, to help keep it clean between washing, or even after a quick wash to get up some random waterspots... i use the meguires Speed Detail mist and wipe.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I would love to wash and detail my car..... too bad its below freezing outside :(

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive got a couple tire shines that work better, but this one is the easiest to use. my favorite is Tire Wet, but it takes longer to apply IMO

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice work Darren!
Can anyone give me a "how to" on the use of a clay bar. I am going to get some time with my "baby" after i spend a little time with my wife and son and i am going to buy a clay bar but i'm just not 100% clear on how to use it. Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
H-CD

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive found the Mothers kit is the easiest to use and the most straight forward as far as instruction. you should be able to get it at any major autoparts store, and theres pretty detailed instruction on how to use it on the box. it comes with the showtime cleaner, clay bar, and carnuba wax.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Is the Meguires window cleaner safe for the tint? I know some spray window cleaners will bubble the tint or turn it purple.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
you just cant use anything with ammonia or harsh chemicals on tint.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Darren07RT said:
ive found the Mothers kit is the easiest to use and the most straight forward as far as instruction. you should be able to get it at any major autoparts store, and theres pretty detailed instruction on how to use it on the box. it comes with the showtime cleaner, clay bar, and carnuba wax.
Thanks...will do! I'll try the Mothers kit as i'm pretty partial to Mother's products.
Cheers,
H-CD

·
Registered
114 Posts
xlimodriver said:
Is the Meguires window cleaner safe for the tint? I know some spray window cleaners will bubble the tint or turn it purple.
Most of the current brands of window cleaner will actually say "safe for tint" on the can/bottle. Just stay away from Mom's windex...unless yer thirsty and broke! LOL

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
_CALIBER_ said:
nice work, I love the looks of your car.
thanks a bunch....

pretty much the only window cleaner they say not to use is windex (ammonia products) but from what my tint guy told me, most of that is even urban myth now, because they make the tint alot better now days. theres not too many tints left in production that will turn purple anymore...

·
Registered
3 Posts
To keep the black plastic looking new, or to restore it after it fades or has wax build up in it try Meguires Gold Class Trim Detailer. For normal use just wipe it on with a rag. When the plastic starts to turn white, use a tooth brush or a paint brush with the bristles cut down to work it in. This stuff is great.

Try to keep it off the paint. I haven't had any problems with it yet, but it looks like an oil slick.

As a quick introduction we traded in our '95 Neon on an inferno red SXT on Saturday. I had painted the Neon a dark metalic (with heavy blue and red pearl) Purple with ghost flames. I feel so plain now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts