Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed Boston Acoustics to see what info they had on the upgraded system in the Caliber and this is what I received this morning from one of their representitives:

"In your Caliber, there is an 8" dual voice coil subwoofer in a sealed enclosure in the back right side of the storage area. See attached diagram for more details."

I'm new to this forum, so I'm going to try to attach the diagram. If it doesn't work and someone knows how to, email me and I can send it to you... lol!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Good pic dude! That should clear stuff up. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the fact that it's a dual voice coil sub and that the tweeter's are 2.5 inch - and it is a dual amp'd system! This is going to ROCK!! Now I'm REALLY pumped to get this thing!!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Haha hell yeah! :D

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Raz said:
I love the fact that it's a dual voice coil sub and that the tweeter's are 2.5 inch - and it is a dual amp'd system! This is going to ROCK!! Now I'm REALLY pumped to get this thing!!
Sweet!! Thanks for the pic/diagram guys!! Umm the amps are easily accessable right??

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure, I'll find out when I get mine in a few weeks. I hope so. I have a nice class-D mono-block sub amp that just pounds! lol! When I get mine I'll find out and let everyone know.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Raz said:
I'm not sure, I'll find out when I get mine in a few weeks. I hope so. I have a nice class-D mono-block sub amp that just pounds! lol! When I get mine I'll find out and let everyone know.
I hope they are pretty accessable, I am sure that there will be something out there that will be better that someone will want to upgrade.;)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yeah, that would be a bitch if they are a PITA to get out...:D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Could you ask that guy the specifics of the system itself? What model speakers, what model amplifiers, what kind of wiring is going through the vehicle etc?

Or just PM me his e-mail address and i'll shoot those questions off to him.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Amandyke said:
Could you ask that guy the specifics of the system itself? What model speakers, what model amplifiers, what kind of wiring is going through the vehicle etc?

Or just PM me his e-mail address and i'll shoot those questions off to him.
Good idea!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Most factory "premium" systems are not composed of off the shelf products. And remember that systems like this are component matched for the best sound for a particular vehicle. When you start changing speakers/amps your changes may or may not have the effect intended. Different speakers have different efficiency ratings and frequency responses, so that's when you'll want to make sure the head unit has enough soundfield control for you to adjust audio properties to compensate for differences in sound induced by aftermarket products. I'd be interested to know what the DSP controller does for the system, but more than likely, it probably adjusts timing of the sound to optimize it for the Caliber's cabin.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amandyke said:

Done and done. I also asked the composition of the speakers themselves: paper cone with a foam surround or polypropylene with a rubber surround on them - I asked the accessibility of the amp's as well as the model codes for both. As soon as I find out, I'll post!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Raz said:
I emailed Boston Acoustics to see what info they had on the upgraded system in the Caliber and this is what I received this morning from one of their representitives:

"In your Caliber, there is an 8" dual voice coil subwoofer in a sealed enclosure in the back right side of the storage area. See attached diagram for more details."

I'm new to this forum, so I'm going to try to attach the diagram. If it doesn't work and someone knows how to, email me and I can send it to you... lol!
I am happy to see Boston Acoustics could help you out, not only a good resource for Caliber owners but for us as well. Sadly, we are not provided these sheets or info on the speakers.

The DPS is a product of a Joint venture between Visteon and Boston Acoustics, click here for the press release that specifically mentions the Caliber.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dommo g is right, you probably don't want to mix and match with this system. You should be able to use most aftermarket radios (Alpine, Pioneer, etc.) but the speakers and amps are tuned specifically for the Caliber by BA. I got the following info from the BA website:

Once the speakers are selected they are matched up with a Digital Signal Processing (DSP) amplifier. Each channel in the amplifier is "tuned" specifically for each speaker using a proprietary software program. Because the speakers are placed in different locations within the vehicle, each will perform slightly different from the next. This tuning process increases the performance and sound quality of each speaker.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nygiantzz1 said:
Because the speakers are placed in different locations within the vehicle, each will perform slightly different from the next. This tuning process increases the performance and sound quality of each speaker.
I was hoping that's what the DSP processor was doing. It's not that much different then a home theatre receiver(yes in Canada we spell it "re"... lol even though my favourite band is Dream Theater... lol). A home receiver has the ability to customize the distance; from the centre channel, the mains and the two rear speakers in relation to where you're sitting: reverb, tonality, frequency and the like. I'm glad to see that DC and Boston Acoustics are both providing so much quality and engineering in a "simple car system". And the price to upgrade is UNBELIEVABLE - $450 in Canada! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I posed your questions to the rep at Boston Acoustics and this is what I received back:​

Unfortunately the materials that make up the composition of the drivers is not published.

The amps and speakers are specifically designed for that vehicle and do not correspond to model numbers of our aftermarket car audio products

Information is being sent to the amplifier from the head unit via a CANBUSS data transfer system. From there speaker wire sends the signal to the speakers. Again, the specifics on the wire are not published.
The amps are not easily accessible.

The 6x9's are one way as are the 3.5" woofers in the rear hatch.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I highly doubt that they engineered new speakers for the Caliber. There's really no sense to.

Anyway I'd be interested to know how much power the 2channel amp for the woofer produces, and what the resistance is of the dual voice coils. 4ohm, 2ohm, 20,000ohm :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree, considering the 6x9's are only a 1-way. I'm sure that the amps chosen were based on the size of the sub enclosure as well as the size of the cabin. We do know that the system is 460 watts total and I assume that that rating is for both amps. As far as the impedence, I'm pretty sure that it's 4 ohms, anything smaller than that is getting into custom territory and requires more money then most manufacturers are willing to invest in a car system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts