Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

As you can see metal no insulation at all!

With Back seat compleatly out!

the Sub woofer!

Sub woofer gone, as you can see metal behinde

Installed insulation !

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pics!

Back together!

Makes the Sub woofer sound so much better! Helps with road noise , I love it
Should have been done by factory, Next I will do the complete front!
Took about 2 and 1/2 hrs , not to bad , just took my time and enjoyed the project:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is that like dynamat, or regular insulation? Looks good, glad to hear it worked.:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bg77 said:
Is that like dynamat, or regular insulation? Looks good, glad to hear it worked.:)
Its regular car insulation on the floor, but around the sub woofer I used Dynamat

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Sounds like a good idea lol (sorry about the pun) Any chance of you doing a how to for either this (the back) or when you do the front, not necessarily all of it but anything that you found to be really difficult to remove/reinstall or fragile

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice job, my biggest complaint (more like a pet peeve) about Dodge is road noise. Just a couple of questions; how much does this type of job cost? and do you have any tips or tricks for removing and replacing the interior panels without potentially damaging them?

·
Registered
343 Posts
one thing I HATE about my car is the excessive road noise, caused by crappy tires, and the lack of insulation. The 06 dakota I had for a week and a half was A LOT quieter than this, due to better tires, and more insulation. Being a standard, I had to rely on the tach and vibes to shift it was so quiet. I've been considering a project like this, but a bit nervous to take my car apart, and the cost of insulation.

Is it glued in, where did you get it, who makes it, and how much did it cost? I might defer the window tint to do that.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Thats a great idea. I had not realized they didnt use any insulation at all. I will have to look into doing this as well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Russ,

That is awesome!!!!!

Looks like a cool project. Thanks for the pics!!!!!! I was wondering how the Sirius Receiver Mounted.

Nice Dirtbike also!!!

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Project is very easy, A few Bolts to remove the back seat, Cost is low I bought the role of Insulation, off Ebay for around $25.00 shipped, Glue Was used only on the Spare tire section, other places I basiclly just placed and bolts and nuts etc held down, incase I needed to get to any wires in the future, Glue was 3M in a can spray for like $10.00 at Auto parts store.
As for the Dynamat, you can find it at any stero shop, Bestbuys for around $20.00 or so , it Peels and sticks it self, As for taking of the pannels just besure to take out the Back seat section first, the both pannels just snap off
, Except for two bolts in the very back that have little ring hooks , Just take your take time, Set a its easy to do , but don't rush so you wont crack the pannels, but they come off pretty easy, and go right back on with no trouble either. looking at $55.00 all together , to me not bad , plus cuts out the excess noise and in winter car will heat up and stay warmer longer for the family, I will do Front next week and post pics, by the way the carpet up front is snapped in for th ones that want to know, not glued. I do all my cars like this , most car brands don't insulate , or insulate just alittle, I will do the door pannels to but with stero insulation to give it even better sound quality:)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Cool. Nice work. Thanks for showing!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
That looks like aircell, not really a sound insulation, barely a thermal one either, but a good application for it. Besides dynamat $$ you can "google" Barymatt BM-1C, thicker and definitely a thermal and sound insulation, since its only 1/4" thick, it will fit in nicely. Drawback, heavy as ****, a little hard to work with, especially with the curves.
You can also google Flexclad, its another deadener, much like the roofing material listed above, but thicker, has some thermal properties, self adhesive, and with a heat gun, you can mold it around anything (actually the heat also makes it stick twice as much)
I've used both of these materials in my xterra (talk about an echo chamber) good results. I only use the stuff because I happen to work with it so its free.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I just looked at FatMat that Fingernipp was talking about. Looks like a great alternative to Dynamat that i will seriously be considering as a project in the near future...........lets face it we didn't buy a Mercedes Benz, but Dodge could have taken a little time to insulate a little more to keep the noise down. If anyone else has some suggestions keep the posts and the pics coming. being that i just got my caliber, and winter is just around the corner, I think i'll wait till spring to try this project out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Trythisonforsize said:
one thing I HATE about my car is the excessive road noise, caused by crappy tires, and the lack of insulation. The 06 dakota I had for a week and a half was A LOT quieter than this, due to better tires, and more insulation.
excatly what I have discovered about the caliber. Dakotas > calibers in road noise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice job, I have an SXT and I was planning on getting a new system in the future, it's nice to know about the lack of insulation before i put the system in so that i'll be able to do it myself and be prepared properly beforehand.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wanna laugh?

I pulled off the bottom interior center plastic piece closest to the hatch so I could lay out my plans for this project ..... I noticed a black plastic bag stuffed under one of the interior panels and I thought , OH, it's a cargo net....no....wait.... there's another one on the other side... hey....two!....no....just plastic bags filled with styrofome peanuts. I guess just filler. Anyway, I put them back in disappointment and I will now await ScJon to get over his fever and install his foglights for al to see.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts