Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got arond to doing my first oil change. Nowhere near 3000 miles yet but i have had the car for over 4 months and drive it daily for very short trips. Advice to anyone else who does their own oil changes. GET A OIL FILTER WRENCH! It seems that the factory tightens them on rediculously tight. Took me a good while to get it off and some very sore knuckles.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Fingernipp said:
I finally got arond to doing my first oil change. Nowhere near 3000 miles yet but i have had the car for over 4 months and drive it daily for very short trips. Advice to anyone else who does their own oil changes. GET A OIL FILTER WRENCH! It seems that the factory tightens them on rediculously tight. Took me a good while to get it off and some very sore knuckles.
Yes, the factory filters on Dodges are always he-man tight. On my Dakota, I used a filter wrench and only succeeded in collapsing the oil filter. Ended up having to drive a screw driver through the oil filter and using that to looses in. Little messy.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had the same problem getting mine off. My next change i've got the filter socket handy........or maybe i'll go with the K&N filter which has a built in adapter for a 1" socket for removal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
:mad:dealerships cant do anything right. What oil are you guys using? first and second oil change I used Castrol GTX, been using that on every car i've had works real good

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Barking Spider said:
:mad:dealerships cant do anything right. What oil are you guys using? first and second oil change I used Castrol GTX, been using that on every car i've had works real good
It's not the dealers putting the oil filters on, its the factory. I have free oil changes for a year through the dealer, so been using the Mopar oil they use. Once I start doing my own, will probably use Mobil1 synthetic.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm currently using Mobil 1 5W-20 synthetic and the mopar filter. I'm gonna switch to the K&N Or Mobil 1 filter next time. Just not sure if it's truly neccessary to use such a light weight oil.........I would like to use the Mobil 1 5W-30 extended performance synthetic oil.

·
Registered
143 Posts
silverbullet said:
I am using pennzoil platinum 5w20 and a purolator oil filter.
I looked up that purolator oil filter and it looks pretty decent. what other vehicles have you put it on? Where do you buy it? how much? how does it feel when you drive? any problems with it?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Barking Spider said:
how does it feel when you drive? any problems with it?
You shouldn't notice any difference while driving from an oil filter.

·
Registered
143 Posts
im not talking about huge power gains or huge mpg gains:rolleyes:. maybe one or 2 mpg and you CAN tell the difference in the oil color and if it burns off any oil as opposed to the mopar filter

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Barking Spider said:
im not talking about huge power gains or huge mpg gains:rolleyes:. maybe one or 2 mpg and you CAN tell the difference in the oil color and if it burns off any oil as opposed to the mopar filter
Burns off oil??? Guess I don't understand. If your motor on your new car is "burning" oil, the filter is the least of your problems. I woudl ay the Purolator and Mopar filter will be about on par with each other. You want a better filter, switch to the Mobil1 of K&N filters. The type of oil you use makes a big difference as well. You'll never see me dump any Quacker State or Pennisoil in my car. There's a reason they cost less than other brands, and it's not because they are better.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oil filter will make no performance difference at all. It will merely filter oil better or worse. It can at the most decrease parasitic power loss from the oil pump by decreasing resistance through the filter element but it would be soo slight that it would likely be immeasurable. You should have just about no oil burn off in a newer engine unless you ran it dry and toasted your rings already. Or maybe you have that rare 2 stroke model that mixes oil itself :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
LMFAO....i dont think you guys are getting my question. My car isn't burning of oil and i dont expect performance from and oil filter. But it is measurable like MPG, and oil color. My oil is probably the most well taken care of thing on my car. In the summer/winter it's changed every 2 months or 2000 miles or if the oil is a little darker than i like. and twice (before winter and summer) a year when i change the oil i change it once let it warm up to temp for about 10-15mins and then flush it out again with another set of oil. Every 6 months i tear apart the oil filter and do a little analysis of the filter. what im asking is if it made any difference from what you've used before

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Any mpg difference an oil filter might somehow make woudl be unmeasurable by any means we have as normal not lab testing people. Unless your using a smaller than required filter that has a hard time keeping up with the oil volume it highly doubt just a filter will make a difference in gas mileage. As far as oil color, that has a lot to do with type of oil used, and how the vehicle is driven just as much as filtering capacity of the filter. If you want a god filter that will keep the oil cleaner, go with the Mobil1 or K&N filters. They use a synthetic filter media that can filter out smaller particles. Also use synthetic oil. Just the synthetic oil alone will help with gas mileage.

The oil companies must love you, and I'll bet the environmentalist hate you with changing your oil so much. Totally un-necessary. Instead of just changing your oil so often and doing the bi-annual flush as you say you do, you'd be better off spending your money on doing oil analysis with every change to make sure your motor is working properly. I'd bet you;d be surprised how much les you'd need to change your oil to keep it lubricating and protecting properly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
HSKR said:
Any mpg difference an oil filter might somehow make woudl be unmeasurable by any means we have as normal not lab testing people. Unless your using a smaller than required filter that has a hard time keeping up with the oil volume it highly doubt just a filter will make a difference in gas mileage. As far as oil color, that has a lot to do with type of oil used, and how the vehicle is driven just as much as filtering capacity of the filter. If you want a god filter that will keep the oil cleaner, go with the Mobil1 or K&N filters. They use a synthetic filter media that can filter out smaller particles. Also use synthetic oil. Just the synthetic oil alone will help with gas mileage.
Again, im not expecting a huge jump but any little bit can help, gas isn't going down anytime soon.

HSKR said:
The oil companies must love you, and I'll bet the environmentalist hate you with changing your oil so much. Totally un-necessary. Instead of just changing your oil so often and doing the bi-annual flush as you say you do, you'd be better off spending your money on doing oil analysis with every change to make sure your motor is working properly. I'd bet you;d be surprised how much les you'd need to change your oil to keep it lubricating and protecting properly.
I dont plan on getting a new car in the next few years (1 year left on payments) that is why im doing the "unnecessary" oil changes and oil analysis. So you let me worry about whats necessary and whats not and whats "proper" protection;). There is recommended maintenance and there is the maintenance you should be doing. I never follow what the dealer says because it's a minimal requirement which im not into. I'ld rather know whats going in my engine how it's coming out. I feel better about the maintenace of my car knowing it was done right instead of the guy getting less than minimum wage who doesn't give a crap about what he's doing at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Barking Spider said:
Again, im not expecting a huge jump but any little bit can help, gas isn't going down anytime soon.
Not sure how it is in Texas, but the prices of gas have been dropping pretty good here in Cali. And my parents who live in Nebraska said there are stations there back under $2 a gallon. And I still say you will not get any difference in gas mileage from using different oil filters. It just doesn't affect the engines performance in that way, other than keepng particles from destroying your motor. I may not be the smartest person around, but common sense tells me that.

There is recommended maintenance and there is the maintenance you should be doing.
So who determines what you "should" be doing?? In my personal experience with my past vehicles, 3000mile oil changes were more than enough to keep my vehicles running happy with zero problems. You go ahead and keep padding the oil companies profits.

I'ld rather know whats going in my engine how it's coming out. I feel better about the maintenace of my car knowing it was done right instead of the guy getting less than minimum wage who doesn't give a crap about what he's doing at the dealership.
I do agree that I feel better doing my own maintenance than letting someone else work on my car, which is why I ALWAYS go over my car after any maintenance performed by the dealer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
HSKR said:
Not sure how it is in Texas, but the prices of gas have been dropping pretty good here in Cali. And my parents who live in Nebraska said there are stations there back under $2 a gallon. And I still say you will not get any difference in gas mileage from using different oil filters. It just doesn't affect the engines performance in that way, other than keepng particles from destroying your motor. I may not be the smartest person around, but common sense tells me that. So who determines what you "should" be doing?? In my personal experience with my past vehicles, 3000mile oil changes were more than enough to keep my vehicles running happy with zero problems. You go ahead and keep padding the oil companies profits.
gas here in Texas is $2.53 and still kinda rising...so ya we're getting hit pretty hard. I realy dont care much about your opinion on the effects of oil filtration on gas mileage, so enough with the annoying criticism, your starting to become a pain in the ass. Common sense will only get you so far until you apply science to it.

“Common sense is merely the deposit of prejudice laid down in the human mind before the age of 18”. --Albert Einstein

so yes i would agree your not the smartest person around

·
Registered
413 Posts
You gotta ease up Barking Spider and realize that when you ask a question on a forum you are not going to always get the answer you are looking for. I dont' think anyone here has all the right answers....but I appreciate all opinions on this forum......especially like HSKR who has nearly 1000 posts. Posts like your last one could be grounds on being banned from this forum, so take it easy on the comments if you dont agree. Dont ask questions if you can't take a little criticism...........trust me!......I don't always agree, but at least I have an open mind.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
EXcaliber said:
You gotta ease up Barking Spider and realize that when you ask a question on a forum you are not going to always get the answer you are looking for. I dont' think anyone here has all the right answers....but I appreciate all opinions on this forum......especially like HSKR who has nearly 1000 posts. Posts like your last one could be grounds on being banned from this forum, so take it easy on the comments if you dont agree. Dont ask questions if you can't take a little criticism...........trust me!......I don't always agree, but at least I have an open mind.
i second that ,ease up

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Barking Spider said:
Common sense will only get you so far until you apply science to it.
So where is your science that say an oil filter will affect gas mileage?? I'm sorry, but unless it's a situation like I stated earlier where the filter you were using was too small to handle the volume output from the oil pump and causing extra strain on the motor, it's just not going to happen. No common sense required to figure that out. And even then, the change in gas mileage will be all but unmeasurable in normal calculations using mileage divided by gallons of fuel required to fill the tank back up. I'm not the only one who has said this. Not sure why you can't understand it or why you are stuck on the idea of getting better gas mileage from an oil filter. Maybe you should look for a different transmission filter as well to help improve gas mileage. I hear they make some good for up to .0002mpg. You might save $1 a year with it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts