Dodge Caliber Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
746 Posts
ib2loud said:
so does that mean the stereo install dash and wiring harness for a magnum will work for the caliber, to install an aftermarket cd player
well by the looks of it, the hvac system is completely different from the lx line... it would depend on a couple of things... actually no... you wouldn't be able to... the 173's and 171's have only two plug ins... the 523's and 32's have three and the 646's have 4 including the gps plug...

hmmm... wait a second...

if you were to swap radios first you'd have to make sure the password matches the vin on the car and secondly you'd only be able to do it if it were swapped with the same make of radio... like a 173 to a 171 would potentially work as they are the same plug ins, but don't think for a second a 646 would plug into a 173... i mean you'd have some functionality i imagine... but you wouldn't have the screen or the gps working... hmm... let me think about this.... switching 171's with 173s should have no change but in aesthetics. however if you went from having a 523... and switch down to a 173/1 than it would work as the extra plug controlling whatever it controls would just dangle there and the other two would probably run the rest of the radio... however, if you wanted to go up from a 173 to even a 32, than it wouldn't work as you'd obviously be missing an intergral powersource...

jesus, i hope i'm not going to get fired for this...

i know for a fact that the speaker cables are all standard on the lx line... so there's some modding you can do without any heart ache...:rolleyes:

· Registered
1,055 Posts
insomniac said:
I wonder why the euro caliber has a roof-mounted antenna, and the US version has the old-school fender mount.
Same here. I don't like the fender-mount antenna. Would like very much to replace it with the roof mount one.

· Registered
321 Posts
We have different frequencies here in the United States and the European antenna doesn't have the same reception that the mast antenna does, so I've been told. Using the European antenna would give you poorer reception than the mast antenna. You'd be better off removing the mast antenna and using the "delete plug" to cover the socket.

These mast antennas are the same as the Neon's, so if you have (or had) a shorty antenna for your Neon, you can use it. Same goes with a delete plug.

· Registered
1,220 Posts
insomniac said:
I wonder why the euro caliber has a roof-mounted antenna, and the US version has the old-school fender mount.
I thought I'd posted something to the effect of the following overnight, but apparently it didn't "take" - so here it is again:

Based on the owners manual and my own experience with communications systems, the antennas are on different planes/sections in order to not interfere with each other's function/reception.

I don't see the (standard on US models) satellite antenna on the European model, so that could explain the roof-mounted mast antenna.

Generally, the roof mount does provide the best reception. It's just that the location is more vital for the satellite antenna if the vehicle is equipped with both a satellite and standard radio. If no satellite radio - by all means, the other antenna would generally be best placed on the roof.

· Registered
268 Posts
superbang said:
well by the looks of it, the hvac system is completely different from the lx line... it would depend on a couple of things... actually no... you wouldn't be able to... the 173's and 171's have only two plug ins... the 523's and 32's have three and the 646's have 4 including the gps plug...

hmmm... wait a second...

if you were to swap radios first you'd have to make sure the password matches the vin on the car and secondly you'd only be able to do it if it were swapped with the same make of radio... like a 173 to a 171 would potentially work as they are the same plug ins, but don't think for a second a 646 would plug into a 173... i mean you'd have some functionality i imagine... but you wouldn't have the screen or the gps working... hmm... let me think about this.... switching 171's with 173s should have no change but in aesthetics. however if you went from having a 523... and switch down to a 173/1 than it would work as the extra plug controlling whatever it controls would just dangle there and the other two would probably run the rest of the radio... however, if you wanted to go up from a 173 to even a 32, than it wouldn't work as you'd obviously be missing an intergral powersource...

jesus, i hope i'm not going to get fired for this...

i know for a fact that the speaker cables are all standard on the lx line... so there's some modding you can do without any heart ache...:rolleyes:

what i was really asking is can you use the aftermarket dash and wiring harnesses to a magnum to install other cd players in the caliber, i have a pioneer mp3 player with sirius just sitting here waiting to go in

· Registered
1,278 Posts
No, I haven't noticed that, I'll have to look harder next time.. :D

· Registered
506 Posts
the mirrors coming to germany are the folding mirrors... req'd by laws in europe... plus HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT THEY CALL PARKING/ PARKING GRAGES... don't even think to bring your suburban out here lol

· Premium Member
33,175 Posts
Germaneon said:
Today I visited the AMI Autoshow in Germany. This was the first time I saw the Caliber in flesh. I must admit the Caliber is a car that definitely looks better in person than in pictures. Dodge showed a silver SE and blue SXT Diesel. Oddly the engine cover and the rear badge said "CRD" not "TDI" (it´s a VW-engine and VW does not use CRD but TDI). It was equipped with a 6-speed-manual-trans and leather seats (very nice!).

The Dodge guys gave no comment about the SRT-4. I still don´t know whether the SRT-4 will make it to Germany or not.
PLEASE DODGE!!!
So it seems that Dodge does my interior mod to german calibers. Well some of it any ways, see the painted arm rests on the doors? See my sig for more...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.