Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i had to have my tank refueled today. for the first time.

the fun part is, i put in 47 litres after drivig 530km... 8.8litres per 100 km ... which is one litre over the proclaimed thirst-rate of the car.

that makes *calculating* *coughing* 26 mpg, right?

and this will get better over time?

i am impressed. i am delighted! :p

any experienced CRD-Drivers out there?

·
Registered
160 Posts
thrhymes said:
You are seriously cruising for a bruising buddy ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
thrhymes said:
well, i had to have my tank refueled today. for the first time.

the fun part is, i put in 47 litres after drivig 530km... 8.8litres per 100 km ... which is one litre over the proclaimed thirst-rate of the car.

that makes *calculating* *coughing* 26 mpg, right?

and this will get better over time?

i am impressed. i am delighted! :p

Really,...... I don't think thats too great a mileage for the diesel, considering VW TDI's are getting 55-65 IMPG:confused:

·
Registered
160 Posts
pacerman said:
Really,...... I don't think thats too great a mileage for the diesel, considering VW TDI's are getting 55-65 IMPG:confused:
According to official data from DCX (Germany), the CRD Caliber has a gas milage of:

31mpg (7.6 l/100km) city
46mpg (5.1 l/100km) highway
39mpg (6.1l/100km) combined

If I'll end up at about 34mpg (<7l/100km) average, I'd be quite happy though...

Those 55-65mpg of VW TDIs are sounding rather impropable to me.
Merely the 3litre Lupo, a sub-sub-compact car built by VW, might have been able to match that milage.
With a 1.2ltr 3-cylinder TDI with freakin' 61hp though and a rather high price due to the expensive materials which were used in order to keep the vehicle weight as low as possible. Aluminum doors and hoods, thinner special-glas on windows, things like that. The 3L version was about 150kg lighter than the normal Lupo was.

All in all a pretty senseless car, which didn't really sell big and hence was cut from production in 2005.
It was more like a marketing thingy and obviously not comparable to a Caliber or even a VW Golf at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay... the car started telling me it only needs 7.8l/100km. then after driving 300km it told me i used around 9l/100km. after refueling i calculated the 8.8l/100km.

i did not go easy on the car, i admit it.

but still everybody is telling stories about decreasing thirst. so i expect better results with each and every refueling.... and if it does not get below the 3l ... *coughing*... seriously no car that i ever owned did use the officially anounced consumption. they were all at least 5-15% above it.

what i expect in the long run is getting as low as 7.6 to 8l/100km.

i will be satisfied with that
in the meantime i am satisfied with already driving that car

@ Swoop: i am the first in austria to ride his own CRD, i know that much :)
is that worth a bruising touch?
btw my dealer has one black SE on display.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Getting into 5th or 6th gear as much as possible and cruising along instead of a more adventurous pace may give us our manufacture stated specifications on fuel usage...one hopes anyway ! :)

What I will do when I get my Calibre is to fill the tank up to the top then fill it up again when its getting empty and then calculate the miles covered by the amount of fuel used. This will give me an accurate mpg reading and I hope that its in the high hundreds, just kiddin;) er high 40s anyway.

My little VW Polo 1 Litre petrol powered car takes about £28.00 to fill up and I get about 300 miles for it which roughly equates at £1.00 for 10 miles or 45 mpg !

Gas in the UK is £4.50 a gallon, hence my concerns over the mpg as a real issue when I get my 2.0 TDi CRD Calibre.

just a note a US Gal is about 6 Pints whilst a UK Gallon is 8 imp pints

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
after 700km it seems to get better. i am down to 8l/100km.
i will keep you updated.

·
Registered
775 Posts
HERE is a very good site for converting mileage (L/100KM to MPH and vice versa). Just click on the Fuel Economy link and enter the numbers/units, it'll do the conversions for you.

8.8L/100KM = 26.73MPG U.S.

It will also calculate for Imperial (British) gallons and U.S. Gallons.

26.73MPG U.S. = 32.10MPG Imp

With as international as our membership is, it might be a site worth bookmarking.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Posted this in the gas milage thread before, but thought it won't do too much harm, to re-activate this 'ol thread for the diesel pilots amongst us.

On my first 1200km my Caliber used up about 83ltr of freshly brewed diesel.
Thats 6.9ltr per 100km or 34 miles per gallon (US) or 41 miles per gallon (imp).

I am quite satisfied with that, since I didn't go overly easy on the Cali during the break in period.

Not to mention the vast amount of low end torque, which makes driving this car a pure pleasure to drive!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just came back from my second test drive at the dealer. The diesel Cali i drove reported 9l/100. I guess test drivers have heavy feet!
On the other hand, if test pilots cant make a demo vehicle drink more than 9l/100k, it cant be all bad.

By the way: I'm getting mine next thursday :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
clavit said:
I just came back from my second test drive at the dealer. The diesel Cali i drove reported 9l/100. I guess test drivers have heavy feet!
On the other hand, if test pilots cant make a demo vehicle drink more than 9l/100k, it cant be all bad.

By the way: I'm getting mine next thursday :)
1st of all - congrats for the purchase of the Caliber, even though it is not quite a bargain in Denmark. But that'd be the same with every new car there is, right?

I'm from Hamburg, which is not really far from Denmark. Where do you exactly come from, when I'm allowed to ask?

As for the milage - real 7ltr per 100km seem to be possible with mixed driving (city/highway) without being overly feather-footed with the CRD.

Regarding the rather relaxed driving habits I've experienced in Denmark so far, it'll be absolutely no problem to reach the 7ltr. line.

Good luck with your Caliber and dont forget to post some pics of that "van conversion thingy"!

Cheers!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Swoop said:
1st of all - congrats for the purchase of the Caliber, even though it is not quite a bargain in Denmark. But that'd be the same with every new car there is, right?

I'm from Hamburg, which is not really far from Denmark. Where do you exactly come from, when I'm allowed to ask?

As for the milage - real 7ltr per 100km seem to be possible with mixed driving (city/highway) without being overly feather-footed with the CRD.

Regarding the rather relaxed driving habits I've experienced in Denmark so far, it'll be absolutely no problem to reach the 7ltr. line.

Good luck with your Caliber and dont forget to post some pics of that "van conversion thingy"!

Cheers!
Owning a car is never a bargain in Denmark, but hey, big boys get to have expensive toys, right?

I'm from a city called Greve, 20km south of Copenhagen.

I'm definitely expecting 7l/100 or better. I just sold my Citroen Picasso Diesel (2L, 90 hp), which got between 5 and 5.5l/100km.

I'll definitely post pictures once i get the Cali.

regards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts