Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several of the roads near to where I work are currently being resurfaced and my Caliber is filthy. Now because the use of hosepipes is banned in my area I was wondering the best way to clean the worst if the grime off without scratching the paintwork?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the problem Bulldogger, I have a Karcher pressure washer at home but I'm now allowed to use it because of the drought order we're under. (You may find it hard to believe but it hardly rains here now:eek: ). This means that you can only clean your car with buckets of water, but with the amount of grit I'd rather not start sponging it down!!

I'll see if I can get hold of that cleaner, thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bulldogger said:
I was going to say, what are you having a drought over there, then I thought to myself....not England. LOL. The weather is getting retarded these days.
You sound like an ex-pat !

Anyway, yes affraid so, the weather over here has changed dramatically over the last few years. We get lots more hot or warm days now. ( Basking Sharks now swim around the coast of Cornwall as the sea is warmer now ) And where-as it used to rain every month or rather every week this is now not the case.

It hasnt rained here in Birmingham now for months, when I say rain I mean a downpour not little sprinkle showers.

And the hose pipe ban has been in force for months and months.

·
Registered
140 Posts
do it by the bucket... have a bucket of fresh soapy water and a bucket for rinsing off the washing mit (preferably chenille - no sponges) after scrubbing a little. the mit should always be rinsed before dunking it into the bucket of soapy water anyway..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dawson :D

I think that I will try that after a quick, if illegal, blast from my pressure washer ;)

We've had it raining 'stair rods' here twice this week, I never thought I'd be asking for more rain :D

·
Registered
644 Posts
a little gas on a rag takes tar off very nice, just remember to wash the area u used the gas on right away to nuetralize the gas.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
So how many buckets of water are you allowed to use? Just keep filling them up and dumping them on the car. Maybe after 5-6 buckets, they will realize a hose with a pistol nozzle on the end actually uses less water.

·
Registered
140 Posts
but carting buckets around to wash your car or water your flowers is much more "strenuous" than just hitting it with a spraygun... I'm suppose the gov't thinks that this may deter some water usage...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
No water spout close to where you wash the car? I have one right at the front of my driveway. If I pull the car in all the way, it's literally 2 feet in front of the car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, it's total madness alright - I can use as much water as I like, I just can't use a hosepipe to do it???

I'll be out on my drive on Saturday morning and I'm going to give my Caliber a quick blast with the pressure washer before I resort to buckets and hope that my neighbours don't call the water company ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
i don't get how you guys are in a drought... i'm in germany and it's rained like mad here... actually it is downpouring as i speak....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it sure as hell doen't feel like it never rains, although any rain between April and September is the 'wrong sort of rain' :rolleyes: . We need a really wet winter to replenish the ground water levels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts