Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend works for DCX and he heard that DCX is having major torque steer issues with the 300hp FWD combo on the Caliber SRT-4. DCX's proposed solution is to detune the motor to 260hp to reduce torque steer. This will only be in the first production year. He also heard that for the second production year DCX will plan to incorporate AWD into the Caliber SRT-4 and increase the power output of the 2.4L to 300+ hp.

I obviously cannot confirm nor deny this rumor. I am just a messenger.

If this is the case I will DEFINITELY be waiting for the second model year to be produced along side with the Challenger before I sell my 2004 SRT-4.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not denying what you are saying at all, but if DCX did what you are saying they are just shooting themselves. No one will buy the first year srt-4 if the next year has AWD for a reasonable price.

On a side note, has anyone looked at the dodge website for the new avenger lately? You are able to price out an avenger and you are able to look at "future options" and one of those options is the same 4 cylinder turbocharged engine that will be in the caliber srt-4. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this possible option.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
...and I've read several times that DCX is not planning on an all-wheel-drive SRT. Nevertheless I hope they get it right. Would hate for all the hoopla to fall as egg-on-the-face.

·
Registered
644 Posts
they better not mess this crap up... been waiting long enough already.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/10907/preview-review-2007-dodge-caliber-srt4-2007-dodge-caliber-srt4-performance-page2.html
Historically, putting big horsepower through a front-drive system carries an inevitable consequence known as torque steer. It was part of the deal with the previous SRT4, and despite various countermeasures — equal-length half-shafts, for example — it’s going to be part of the deal with the new one.

“Torque steer is definitely something you need to manage in your design,” says Erich Heuschele, SRT’s vehicle dynamics supervisor. “Our goal is to keep torque steer about where it was with the previous car.”

All-wheel drive, an option in the regular Caliber lineup, would damp out torque steer, but the system isn’t capable of handling the turbo engine’s higher output.
Guys don't bite the fish hook.... mark my words, there will be no substaintal changes. Dodge.com/srtdriven the brouchure already in print and every official press release since may has published 300hp and that is what the Caliber SRT4 will show up to the show room with. AWD is a pipe dream, also not going to happen.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Kinda of hard to take a new members word as gold. Especially when he has 1 post and claims to know "someone" at DCX.

I know someone who works at DCX too. He said that to celebrate the release of the new SRT-4 they're making the first 100 consumer orders FREE! So y'all better run down to your dealer and place an order before they all get snapped up!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Amandyke said:
Kinda of hard to take a new members word as gold. Especially when he has 1 post and claims to know "someone" at DCX.

I know someone who works at DCX too. He said that to celebrate the release of the new SRT-4 they're making the first 100 consumer orders FREE! So y'all better run down to your dealer and place an order before they all get snapped up!
Well I don't doubt he does have a friend who said something stupid, i also know someone who works for DCX and is full of stupid crap:

1) The Charger/Magnum/300C SRT8 are automatic and not offered in manual because the engine has too much torque for the drive shafts - Hello, regardless of manual or automatic the drive shafts will face the same amount of torque. the SRT engineers sited costs and who they thought was the target audience as the reason (not torque issues), i think i believe them more

2) The new challenger will have 650hp - Kinda dumd since this was the same conversation as above... the challenger is a shortended wheelbase charger with a manual transmission... funny the current models can't have a stick because of torque, yet this new challenger will not only have a manual but also have 200 more hp. Yeah right, press expectations are for about the same 425hp found in the other SRT models.

3) All current SRT models claim HP ratings that are actually what they put to the wheels - short of the SRT4, all other SRT models have dynoed less as expected by drive train loss at the wheels versus what they claim at the crank... so don't think so buddy.

4) for 2007, all the SRT8 models will come with a factory supercharger - not even going to waste my time on this one

5) The caliber srt4 is actually awd and Dodge is just calling it FWD to fly under the radar. Dodge actually has plans to heavily go after the WRC. - sure thing

Those are all that I can remember of the top of my head, but it is apparent within 30 seconds that this individual knows absolutely nothing. Ever cross your mind that not every single employee at a huge company knows every intricate detail of an unreleased product? heck the sales people at the dealership barely know anything about their current products.

Rumours are a waste of time as Amandyke was saying

·
Registered
447 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
5) The caliber srt4 is actually awd and Dodge is just calling it FWD to fly under the radar. Dodge actually has plans to heavily go after the WRC. - sure thing

I'd love it if they would do this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The funny thing is the very first caliber was an SRT-4 or sorts with AWD. Kinda sucks they went the other direction with that but who knows, maybe with the release of the Sebring, we'll get a V6 for 2008; with a supercharger. Now that my friend is a pipe dream!:D Very Nice!

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Dealership told me it was going to be AWD Too just 6 speed Trans
I was up there yesterday and all the service techs were talking about it
How they could'nt wait to drive the little car. Im happy with my AWD R/T
so I really dont care if its either or, I guess we will know when the first one comes out on the showroom floor, But it does make sense to make the car AWD since most of the R/T's are AWD , and thats the basic model its created after eng. wise , since the SRT and SE are FWD , but I do know they do make the R/T FWD too! You here alot of things on the web or hear say, We wont know I guess til that day comes , When some lucky dude or gal is driving down the street in one, and we can pull beside and ask "Hey is that AWD or FWD?" LOL:D

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
dealerships are the last to know anything ... i wouldn't believe anything they say about the srt-4 being awd.....let's face it as long as dodge and mitsubishi are together they will never build a car to compete against each other. it's really not smart on there part.

·
Banned
696 Posts
When the EVO X hits the market I would expect to see a SRT-XX with AWD very soon. The market is just to big to miss out on it. Nitro should have it, why not the Caliber, hell its already set up all you have to do is get someone to build a tranny that can take the abuse of the turbo and WRC. OK I was dreaming, I'm back now.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
ptperformance said:
When the EVO X hits the market I would expect to see a SRT-XX with AWD very soon. The market is just to big to miss out on it. Nitro should have it, why not the Caliber, hell its already set up all you have to do is get someone to build a tranny that can take the abuse of the turbo and WRC. OK I was dreaming, I'm back now.
The evo x is the same platform as the Dodge caliber.... Dodge does not play in the WRC, it makes zero sense for them to go after their own platform in a car segment that costs 10 grand more to play.

If dodge wanted to build an Evo/STI killer it wouldn't be a 3100lbs wagon.... repeat after me, there will be no awd 300hp+ dodge caliber

·
Banned
696 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
The evo x is the same platform as the Dodge caliber.... Dodge does not play in the WRC, it makes zero sense for them to go after their own platform in a car segment that costs 10 grand more to play.

If dodge wanted to build an Evo/STI killer it wouldn't be a 3100lbs wagon.... repeat after me, there will be no awd 300hp+ dodge caliber
Ford seems to have a wagon that works fairly well and Citrone (sp) seems to have one as well. The STI's go on a heavy diet when they hit the WRC but they are still just as heavy as the RT AWD Caliber (close anyways). Now dodge will not go after WRC since the have no desire to, but what is selling right now? How many EVO's do you see on the road, how many shops build parts for the EVO? It would be a gold mine for shops if they did make it AWD but it would be a headache for DCX since the warranty issues would be off the hook. Now price one around the same as a EVO X and you might not see the warranty crap. If you can afford a $35K toy you can afford to fix it. Now with the EVO X and the Caliber looking to be on the same chasis I would expect to see an AWD version of the Caliber in about 2 years. It would be an easy crossover for them to do and since Ford will have the AWD focus here in 08' DCX had better follow if not lead with an AWD domestic to take the sales of the ford tunner car.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
ptperformance said:
Ford seems to have a wagon that works fairly well and Citrone (sp) seems to have one as well. The STI's go on a heavy diet when they hit the WRC but they are still just as heavy as the RT AWD Caliber (close anyways). Now dodge will not go after WRC since the have no desire to, but what is selling right now? How many EVO's do you see on the road, how many shops build parts for the EVO? It would be a gold mine for shops if they did make it AWD but it would be a headache for DCX since the warranty issues would be off the hook. Now price one around the same as a EVO X and you might not see the warranty crap. If you can afford a $35K toy you can afford to fix it. Now with the EVO X and the Caliber looking to be on the same chasis I would expect to see an AWD version of the Caliber in about 2 years. It would be an easy crossover for them to do and since Ford will have the AWD focus here in 08' DCX had better follow if not lead with an AWD domestic to take the sales of the ford tunner car.
^^ makes no sense... Ford has been promising an AWD version of the Ford Focus for years, and only now does it look like the Concept RS will have AWD; NA doesn't even get the Euro focus platform until 08 let alone a 300hp awd version of it.

The AWD Caliber weighs 3308lbs, and Evo weighs 3219lbs and has a far superior AWD drivetrain...

This is a stupid argument, the Caliber SRT4 isn't going to be awd, nor will it be in two years... all the cars below use the same platform and there isn't going to be a 300hp+ awd version just because they use the same base chassis.... avenger maybe, caliber srt4 no

2007 Chrysler Sebring
2007 Jeep Patriot crossover SUV
2007 Jeep Compass sports wagon
2008 Dodge Avenger
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer
2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser replacement
2009 Dodge crossover SUV (JC49)[1]
2010 Chrysler crossover SUV (JZ49)

·
Banned
696 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
^^ makes no sense... Ford has been promising an AWD version of the Ford Focus for years, and only now does it look like the Concept RS will have AWD; NA doesn't even get the Euro focus platform until 08 let alone a 300hp awd version of it.

The AWD Caliber weighs 3308lbs, and Evo weighs 3219lbs and has a far superior AWD drivetrain...

This is a stupid argument, the Caliber SRT4 isn't going to be awd, nor will it be in two years... all the cars below use the same platform and there isn't going to be a 300hp+ awd version just because they use the same base chassis.... avenger maybe, caliber srt4 no

2007 Chrysler Sebring
2007 Jeep Patriot crossover SUV
2007 Jeep Compass sports wagon
2008 Dodge Avenger
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer
2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser replacement
2009 Dodge crossover SUV (JC49)[1]
2010 Chrysler crossover SUV (JZ49)
I highlighted the problem for you. Its not a an argument its disscusion of what we would like to see and the compairable cars that are on the road. You talk as if you KNOW they will never make anything or you work on the design team for DCX. If thats the case the please let us know what they will be doing next. If not keep the "disscusions" argument free so we can all enjoy our time here. And just so you know the WRX STI is 3268 lbs and the wagon is even more. Please dont tell me that 50 lbs makes a big difference either because that would be "stupid" (EVO is even lighter if you go with the lightweight but what makes you think that DCX couldnt do a light weight version of the Caliber. They did with the neon).

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
ptperformance said:
I highlighted the problem for you. Its not a an argument its disscusion of what we would like to see and the compairable cars that are on the road. You talk as if you KNOW they will never make anything or you work on the design team for DCX. If thats the case the please let us know what they will be doing next. If not keep the "disscusions" argument free so we can all enjoy our time here. And just so you know the WRX STI is 3268 lbs and the wagon is even more. Please dont tell me that 50 lbs makes a big difference either because that would be "stupid" (EVO is even lighter if you go with the lightweight but what makes you think that DCX couldnt do a light weight version of the Caliber. They did with the neon).
The EVO at 3219lbs and the STI at 3268lbs are both lighter than the 3308lbs of an AWD Caliber.

The MT FWD Caliber curb weight is 3039... the SRT4 is(http://cgmedia.daimlerchrysler.com/dcxms/assets/specs/2007CaliberSRT4_Specifications.pdf) 3189lbs.... so the 19" wheels, bigger brakes, suspension upgrades, turbo etc. adds about 150lbs; one could assume that the SRT version of an AWD Caliber would also add 150lbs for similar upgrades bringing an AWD Caliber SRT4's estimated curb weight to 3,458lbs (239lbs heavier than an EVO, and 190lbs heavier than an STI) assuming that the drivetrain could be upgraded to handle the power and functionality (i.e. center differential) at zero additional weight (which is unlikely)

STI/EVO tech spec highlights
The Subaru employs an electromagnetic clutch on the center differential. Under normal driving conditions, say you're just cruising down the interstate, the diff clutch is disengaged, and 65 percent of the engine power is routed to the rear wheels, with the remaining 35 to the front (a 35/65 front-to-rear split). The car's engine computer adjusts that center-diff clutch, based on information from the yaw-rate and throttle-position sensors, and can send as much as 50 percent of engine torque to the front wheels. So the Subaru varies the torque split between 50/50 and 35/65. The driver can also manually select the torque split via a center-console switch.

The Mitsubishi, on the other hand, never sends the majority of engine torque to the rear axle. Instead, it can send all the engine torque to the front wheels or 50 percent of it (using an electrohydraulic clutch on the center diff). So the Evo varies the front-to-rear torque split between 100/0 and 50/50. In addition to the yaw-rate and throttle-position sensors, the Evo has a steering-wheel-angle sensor that also provides the computer with information
The caliber has an "on demand" AWD system which is basically FWD that moves some power when something slips.... it is not a FRACTION as sophisticated as the AWD system available on the STI or the EVO.

So now we have created an AWD Caliber SRT4 that is heavier than the competition and has an inferior AWD drivetrain; the Evo/STI exist becuase of the companies involvement in the WRC, so lets enter a new racing market to support this product( that'll only cost a couple million) Then lets invest in a real drivetrain, and figure out how to crank out more HP since we have to make up for all that extra weight and oh by the way sell it a price that will be competitive and will generate a profit for the company.

Please don't missinterpet this as "arguing" as you stated, and or anything "personal"... it is good to look at things realistically with some of the factual challenges that would prevent such a product. Lets not forget that Dodge had no problem selling a bunch (around 25,000 of them) of Neon SRT4's which is more than the sales of the EVO and the STI combined; so you have to ask yourself why bother? Sure we'd all love it, ... customers and journalists talk alot of smack but when the rubber meets the road there aren't near as many willing to put their money where their mouth is which is why the caliber srt4 will be fwd, perform well and cost 21-23k usd

·
Banned
696 Posts
Agreed but I have seen manufacures make other changes in the design of a vehicle for far more money and not get the return on the change. The new SRT-4 will problably smoke the STI and EVO and it will only need the FWD to do so. So with that said I have to agree that the new SRT should be a hit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
awd isnt going to happen, it sucks but i know its not going to. But look at it this way, with them making the RT awd how hard would it be to convert one awd?????

1 - 20 of 33 Posts