Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all figured i'd get on and ask some of you owners. I just bought a caliber on monday, because i needed better gas mileage for my 70 mile commute, and i decided on the dodge. My center console slides back and forth without staying in one position. the dealer told be that they asked the dodge rep and the said it just does that? very annoying when you come to a stop and the thing slams forward. As far as the cvt. it is just like im on my snowmobile again. it sounds like it is taching out and only grabs when you let of the throttle a little like the belts slipping. this is my first 4 banger vehicle, the power change is surely different. But as far as future hop ups, it doesnt seem the cvt could handle it? I dont know i like the looks but the performance is very questionable. please imput thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
dozer said:
...My center console slides back and forth without staying in one position. the dealer told be that they asked the dodge rep and the said it just does that? very annoying when you come to a stop and the thing slams forward...
You're not alone - this has been mentioned in several discussions on this board already.

The concern seems to range from really loose and moving on it's own with the vehicle's momentum (as you described, and I've posted the same elsewhere here...) to being described as bsically just too easy to slide but not doing it on it's own.

No matter what, it does seem to need some type of way to prevent it from sliding so easily, and the previous discussions here about it usually also state that there should be some type of mechanism or other method in the track for it to "click" or secure it into place better in the desired position.

·
Registered
53 Posts
the pt has the same type of sliding center console ...except it doesnt have the same probleme.

thinking we may add a small rubber strip or something to stop it from going forward on it own.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
slans said:
...thinking we may add a small rubber strip or something to stop it from going forward on it own.
Oops, I meant to mention that in my previous post - just haven't had time to look at it closely and see it I could do something simple and effective for that purpose...

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
We should probably start an "official list" as to what could be changed in the future and send to dodge far the heck of it, maybe some of these easy fixes can be added and incorporated into the next model years to come.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone. Just got mine last Saturday. Love the drive, but I heard a faint knocking noise coming from the engine. I'm taking it in on Saturday to get looked at. Any ideas?

·
Registered
321 Posts
My center console hasn't moved on its own since I bought the vehicle. I don't rest my right arm on it, and that may have something to do with it, but I do know there is a way to keep it from moving without damaging the console itself.

The CVT doesn't slip...it's not designd to do that. It'll handle up to 250 HP, so they say. Give it time...it takes a few hundred miles to get used to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most of the time a good majority of consumres notice the problem, the engineers at the car company are already on top of it but can't do anything about it until the next model year unless they announce a recall to fix the problem due to the amount of complaints.

When I test drove the Caliber I noticed it too. It didn't really bother me that much because I really drive with my right arm anyway and don't rest it on the center console. I know what you're saying though. What I'd like to see if maybe a way to have 4-5 levels where you can click the console into place and if you want to move it forward or backwards, just press some button on the side of it to move it into another notch or something. I'm sure the 2008 model will definately have something that addresses this situation.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yeah, I even noticed it at the auotshow. The engineers should fix it. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts