Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting quotes from that article that came out a week or so ago:
In the first 14 days of May, the Caliber's transaction price averaged $17,951, compared to $16,973 for models in the premium compact car segment, according to PIN data.

And the orders are mounting. Dodge has 48,700 dealer orders for the Caliber, up from roughly 20,000 several weeks ago, said Chrysler spokesman Kevin McCormick.

Analyst Jim Sanfilippo of automotive consulting firm AMCI Inc. said Chrysler should resist the urge to the flood the market with Calibers. "You want to keep the tension just right so that the message to the customer is that there's high demand," he said.
As a consumer, ^^ is frustrating but from a business standpoint Dodge is doing really well as they have managed to have everyone believe the short supply demand hype and were able to sell the Caliber nearly $1,000 above the average sell price in this segment... impressive.

I think they are starting to flirt with danger though as the disconent even on this board is escalating as people await delivery of their new car.... lets hope they get better at this supply and demand game and don't start turning people away

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey, DCX is out to turn a profit just like any other car company. This reminds of me when the New Beetle came out. People were creaming in their pants and HAD to have one. After the craze died down you could get one at any local yokel mom and pop corner dealership. Will be funny to see TONS of Calibers on the road in the next few years. Just happens to be a hot car right now. I know this doesn't help those waiting for their car (me included) but it will be over soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I hope they don't wait too long. The pricing and EPA mileage estimates for the Saturn Vue Green Line came out yesterday and that is making me rethink the Caliber.

Hud

·
Registered
86 Posts
bookhud said:
Well, I hope they don't wait too long. The pricing and EPA mileage estimates for the Saturn Vue Green Line came out yesterday and that is making me rethink the Caliber.

Hud
That roadster they have looks bad ass too.

·
Registered
447 Posts
What they should be doing is rewarding the people who have orderd a vehicle by making those the priority for production. Obviously mixing in the dealer orders as well. But restricting the supply for dealer orders more so than for customer ordered vehicles.

That would keep the waiting people happy, the dealers *should* be happy as they're getting priority for the ordered cars while still getting their supply of ordered cars, and DCX happy as they're still maintaining the facade of short supply.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I agree with the last post. Those of us who have ordered cars definitely should be top priority. The cars sent to dealers aren't sold yet (usually) until they hit the floor, yet for all intents and purposes, we've already put deposits on our vehicles. Plus, at least in my case, I couldn't get all the dealer discounts because I'm not buying a car that's already on the lot, which is fine with me because I'm already getting a pretty awesome deal.

I don't know, that seems to make sense to me. Hey, maybe they could have first shift make all the allocated dealer cars, and 2nd shift make all the ordered vehicles. Just a thought.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Customer orders always have priority over regular dealer inventory orders, unless your order doesn't have any allocations. But say if the dealer has 3 allocations and 2 ahead of your order were just regular stock orders and then you ordered yours later on, Dodge will build your Caliber first and then the dealer stock orders, even if the dealer stock orders were ordered 2 months ago and you only ordered a week ago.

What Dodge needs to do it put on a 3rd shift for the Caliber so they're made around the clock. Why they don't do that is beyond me. I guess they like pissing customers off. Its what Chrysler does best lately.

Also I think they should delay the SRT-4 version until regular Caliber orders are caught up (sorry SRT fans!). Makes no sense to me by adding ANOTHER model into the assembly line when they can't even keep up with the orders they're getting now. All they would be doing is digging themselves a deeper and deeper hole by adding another model. Especially one that has a lot of special parts like the SRT-4.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The 3rd shift they set up will be building the new Jeep Compass. Which might be a bad idea if they have the same issues with demand.

I do agree that they might want to hold off on releasing anything new (Compass, SRT, etc), but then again I'm not DCX and I'm sure they have a method to their madness (I hope).

I just hope I get mine while they are still a rarity on the roads LOL.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You seem right about that, Chrysler seems to like unhappy customers. With customers having a long wait like this, they could easily make the customer's wait better, but I don't think they care.

They could do things like, Discount coupons for Mopar parts while you wait, mail promotional items, mini videos, key chains, balloons (J/K), just minor stuff like that would keep the interest up and help with the wait.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DCX has the ability to flood the market (i.e. Intrepid, Neon, 300C, Caravan etc.) ... this isn't a production capacity problem, this is a tactic to sell at or above sticker by limiting supply. Introduction of an SRT has nothing to do with you getting your car any sooner, the change this past week from 2006.5 to 2007 is more likely to cause a delay than a model that is nearly a year away.

In Dodge's eyes, customer orders are sales in the bag... dealer orders are new sales that will happen... they are over selling and under delivering, keep it up to long and you'll (customers will) lose interest. Mazda will have the Mazdaspeed 3 out at the same time, if you can get one in a few weeks versus several months the competition will eat up the orders

·
Registered
70 Posts
All of the below are with 49.7 miles of my house. Surprised everyone is having so much trouble finding them.

2007 CALIBER SXT
MSRP: $19,945 Black

2007 CALIBER SXT
MSRP: $19,175 Steele Blue

2007 CALIBER R/T AWD
MSRP: $19,985 White

2007 CALIBER R/T AWD
MSRP: $22,750 Black

2007 CALIBER SXT
MSRP: $16,025 Steele Blue

2007 CALIBER SE
MSRP: $17,025 Red

2007 CALIBER SXT
MSRP: $18,635 Steele Blue

2007 CALIBER R/T AWD
MSRP: $22,115 Yellow

2007 CALIBER SE
MSRP: $16,135 Red

2007 CALIBER R/T AWD
MSRP: $23,035 Marine Blue

2007 CALIBER SXT
MSRP: $17,880 Yellow

2007 CALIBER SXT
MSRP: $17,515 Yellow

2007 CALIBER SXT
MSRP: $19,195 Red

2007 CALIBER R/T AWD
MSRP: $22,280 White

2007 CALIBER SXT
MSRP: $17,720 Yellow

2007 CALIBER R/T AWD
MSRP: $19,985 Red

2007 CALIBER SE
MSRP: $16,625 Steele Blue

2007 CALIBER SE
MSRP: $17,060 Red

2007 CALIBER SE
MSRP: $16,045 Yellow

2007 CALIBER SXT
MSRP: $17,420 Black

2007 CALIBER SXT
MSRP: $17,705 White

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well if you live in California thats what you'll find on the lots. Dodge purposely shipped about a ton of orders to Florida and California because thats where they're trying to market this car. If you can push the car in LA and surrounding area, it may get someone to buy the Caliber over the Honda Civic Si for example and southern California is a potential major market for Dodge.

If you're like me and live in the Northeast you'll be lucky to find 1 on the lot in some dealers and the ones that do have them on the lot are gone within 2 weeks or less. The next town over from me has had 1 yes 1 Caliber on the lot/out the door since March and thats it! They haven't seen one since March. Even the major dealers in the surrounding cities don't really have any many in stock, 3 or 4 at most which are again, gone within 2 weeks.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
DCX has the ability to flood the market (i.e. Intrepid, Neon, 300C, Caravan etc.) ... this isn't a production capacity problem, this is a tactic to sell at or above sticker by limiting supply. Introduction of an SRT has nothing to do with you getting your car any sooner, the change this past week from 2006.5 to 2007 is more likely to cause a delay than a model that is nearly a year away.

In Dodge's eyes, customer orders are sales in the bag... dealer orders are new sales that will happen... they are over selling and under delivering, keep it up to long and you'll (customers will) lose interest. Mazda will have the Mazdaspeed 3 out at the same time, if you can get one in a few weeks versus several months the competition will eat up the orders
Thats probably true. I was saying it makes no sense right now to add in the SRT to the assembly line. In other words, Dodge should NOT even think about taking orders for the SRT version anytime soon until the normal models get caught up.

I'm really hoping Dodge doesn't decide to close the plant down for a break. To me, that also makes no sense at all. Workers already got a 4 month break while they converted the plant from the Neon to the Caliber and now they're gonna make Calibers for about 3 months and then go on break again? Meanwhile, orders are pouring in 4x faster than they can get cars out. I actually can't wait for the Avenger to come out so some of the people will possibly start looking at that car, taking a little pressure off the Caliber production. The Caliber is the only real brand new car in production right now if you don't want a full size vehicle. Like I've posted before, its very poor planning for Dodge to discontinue the Stratus/Sebring, leaving the all new Caliber as the only small/mid-sixed car for customers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I beg to differ about being able to find Calibers in the California (at least around San Francisco).

I had to order mine because they don't have them. In fact I ordered a black one and I have NEVER seen a black caliber in person. The dealership by my house had 1 white SE about 2 months ago and that was it. They have zero now. I went to another dealership and they had 1 yellow R/T (yellow's not for me or else I would have gotten it). It is also gone now. The dealership I ordered my car from zero when I ordered it in April. When I went back 2 weeks ago they had had 1 orange SE which was delivered that day and sold that day.

I even got my dealer to do a search to see if he could get one from another dealer and they found ONE black SXT within 100 miles. Unfortunately it had every option ever and was slightly out of my budget.

·
Registered
267 Posts
As of last week, there was 1 SE and 1 stripped down SXT on lots within 100 miles of me (Spokane, WA area). The place I ordered from had 5 coming within the next 3 weeks. The other dealer I went to said they had no idea when the next batch was coming in, but he was also trying to sell me the SE he had on his lot. And I think I've seen 5 unique Calibers in this area, none of which are R/Ts.

I was told "40-45 days" which would be great, I'll be OK with 60 days. Especially if I get one with a few of these bugs worked out. I think it would be in DCX's best interest to get involved in all of the vehicle forums that exist. And if that's why it's taking them a bit longer to get them out because they are slowing down a little, so they aren't putting out a half-a**ed-built vehicle (pardon my English), then it's worth the wait. (I may change my tune the longer I wait, however LOL)

·
Registered
361 Posts
PAJeep said:
All of the below are with 49.7 miles of my house. Surprised everyone is having so much trouble finding them.
There seems to be quite a few around my area as well, but none in the colour with the options I want. Maybe I'm just picky, but if I'm paying over $10,000, I'd like it to be just how I want it. I haven't seen one yet with leather for some reason. The last dealer I spoke to said none were made yet ..

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd just wait til all this "inventory/ordering" crap is over. Wait til maybe next winter or spring. (Unless you really need a car now). About a year after the introduction, they should have things in order and flowing correctly. Then you should be able to walk into your local Dodge dealer and get basically what you want right off the lot for a reasonable price. (without mark up).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts