Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, you should be able to straighten this out, if not, then things are worse that I thought.

What exactly is going on at the Caliber factory?

Are there lots of delays going on now?

How long will there be a shut down, if there will be a shut down coming up?

How is Chrysler going to handle the 2006.5 and 2007 changeover, are some current orders going to be changed to 2007 and the wait will be longer for them?

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Dan should be able to answer these, or give good insight as to answers to those questions....

Step right up Dan!!:D:D:D.....these questions have popped up more than once....now we have a thread just for it!:D

·
Registered
245 Posts
TTT? The last week has been busy so excuse my lack of involvement; a variety of things came up and wouldn’t go away until this morning.

I noticed this topic the first day it posted and wanted to provide the most accurate feedback. I was able to put together a meeting with our program people to discuss what was going on and here is a summary of what we were told.

At this time (06/09/06) dealerships are able to place Caliber orders with the factory and we have no information to suggest otherwise.

What we do know is that process of changing the ordering system from 2006 models to the 2007 lineup took longer then originaly expected. In addition, the process in which orders are placed has changed within the dealer connect application. For some reason, certain individuals were not given appropriate access rights to be able to access the new ordering system in DealerConnect. These rights are assigned by a dealership employee responsible for maintaining who can access what.

In terms of your ordering concerns, The Caliber suddenly took a influx of orders increasing the overall estimated delivery date for everyone. You may have seen news stories proclaiming the Caliber has more then 40,000 customer orders pending. Current demand exceeds our capacity to produce.

Additionally there has been the impression that the Belvedere, IL plant will undergo the typical 5 week shut down (retooling) for the 2006-2007 change over. As confirmed by a Belvedere employee here this is not the case. The plant will remain open and producing vehicles at maximum capacity.

Finally for those concerned regarding individuals who placed an order later then you who have received there vehicle first, well this is just how the manufacturing process works. Placing order X does not guarantee you will receive the X vehicle produced. Vehicles are assembled in allotments of similar equipped & colored models not on order #’s. Keep in mind supplier delays might also attribute to a delayed/post-poned delivery date of any order.

We appreciate your patience during this confusing time as always if you have any questions regarding your order you can contact the DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance center to check.

You can contact them @ 1-800-992-1997 Mon-Fri 8am-5pm

Thanks again,
Dan

·
Registered
384 Posts
You know, I'm starting to not even like the Caliber as much as I did almost 8 weeks ago when I ordered it. I'm afraid I'm losing interest! I wish my car would hurry up!

·
Banned
400 Posts
Personally, I think it's a damn shame. I know if I order a vehicle, then what I ordered options, color, etc... had better be JUST THAT! Or I won't be paying for shhhhhhhhhhhhhh (you get the idea):mad:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Dan,

Can you clear things up about the Jeep Compass? Are they really going to start production with all these backed up Caliber orders still?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
Personally, I think it's a damn shame. I know if I order a vehicle, then what I ordered options, color, etc... had better be JUST THAT! Or I won't be paying for shhhhhhhhhhhhhh (you get the idea):mad:
It should be as ordered and I didn't see anything to the contrary here... unless I missed something?

Just to put things in perspective, this isn't Caliber-specific, or even Dodge/Chrysler-specific... this is typical for any new, hot vehicle on the market; call it growing pains. We had numerous threads about the confusion, frustration, and rumors, like those we're seeing here, over on our 300C and Charger forums when those vehicles first hit the market as well, and no different when the new C6 Corvette first hit. The fun is watching all the "I finally got mine and I love it" threads emerge after awhile...

Hang in there!!

...And many thanks to you, DodgeInfoCenter, for your generous contributions to our members inquiries :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
ok dan, we understand that cars are not being built buy order number... but how come for some people the time it takes from D1 status to delivery time is not necessary the same? doesn't D1 means it is already being built????????

What is DCX planning to do to fix this "delay" problem?
Why dealerships can't always provide accurate info.?

thanks.......

·
Banned
400 Posts
HEMEEE said:
It should be as ordered and I didn't see anything to the contrary here... unless I missed something?
That's because Mr. Dodge Info Center has edited his words HEMEEE. You're the moderator, it clearly shows he edited his post. But, anyway... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Your vehicle will always arrive as ordered, if a vehicle cannot be built due to a lack of parts from our suppliers the order gets idled.

D1 stands for: "gateline schedule - scheduled to be built"

I don’t have the definitive explanation of these codes but I read it as "your vehicle is cued up to be built" not "your vehicle is being assembled". Until your order gets past D status, It has not taken physical form. It is simply a record in the ordering database.

Its not a problem that can be "fixed", its a matter of logistics. Manufacturing capacity is set at a fixed maximum rate. This rate is determined by factors such as union agreements, manufacturing limitations and quality assurance concerns. Keep in mind that manufacturing may not obtain optimal production 100% of the time. Logically machines break down and people get fatigued, thats why dealerships give estimates. If they failed to communicate this to you, I apologize on there behalf.

STEELBLueCALI said:
That's because Mr. Dodge Info Center has edited his words HEMEEE. You're the moderator, it clearly shows he edited his post. But, anyway...
Words may change but the message remains the same. When I re-read my postings I occasionally find a word here and there misspelled or worded incorrectly.

I make appropriate changes so everyone understands what I am saying without further complicating the issue.

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
DodgeInfoCenter said:
Your vehicle will always arrive as ordered, if a vehicle cannot be built due to a lack of parts from our suppliers the order gets idled.

D1 stands for: "gateline schedule - scheduled to be built"

I don’t have the definitive explanation of these codes but I read it as "your vehicle is cued up to be built" not "your vehicle is being assembled". Until your order gets past D status, It has not taken physical form. It is simply a record in the ordering database.

Its not a problem that can be "fixed", its a matter of logistics. Manufacturing capacity is set at a fixed maximum rate. This rate is determined by factors such as union agreements, manufacturing limitations and quality assurance concerns. Keep in mind that manufacturing may not obtain optimal production 100% of the time. Logically machines break down and people get fatigued, thats why dealerships give estimates. If they failed to communicate this to you, I apologize on there behalf.

Words may change but the message remains the same. When I re-read my postings I occasionally find a word here and there misspelled or worded incorrectly.

I make appropriate changes so everyone understands what I am saying without further complicating the issue.

Dan
Thanks Dan!! That clears up some of it.

I appreciate your help, and someone on this forum with inside knowledge is great.

I agree that this is not just DCX, but all companies have the same problem with their new cars with demand and such! (Example: Even Honda IS having the problem, had a friend look at their new Fit and there is a 4 month wait for custom order!!)

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
That's because Mr. Dodge Info Center has edited his words HEMEEE. You're the moderator, it clearly shows he edited his post. But, anyway... :rolleyes:
And you edited your post, which I quoted here. I see this as a non-issue, except that the comment comes across as accusatory. I have edited my posts in the past as well :rolleyes:

We are fortunate to have someone on "the inside" that is willing to visit our site and contribute what he can to help the members understand the process... I promise you, had you been in a car-buying situation 10 yrs. ago you would probably not have a clue about any of this process, nor would you have a resource like this to try to find out about it. The least we can do is be gracious and not drive away the very people that have the information members seek.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Tigerr said:
Dan,

Can you clear things up about the Jeep Compass? Are they really going to start production with all these backed up Caliber orders still?

Thanks.
I guess that ultimately depends if the demand for the Caliber continues doesn’t it? The third shift is slated to begin July 1st 2006 to help alleviate the ordering backlog. The Patriot is scheduled for a fall release so they have a few months to catch up.

The new flexible manufacturing process allows them to divvy up production allotment depending on demand. One week it may be 70%/30% and the week after that it may be 40%/60%.

They will both be produced as quickly as possible but there will be "growing pains" as one member put it. Manufacturing facilities running @ maximum capacity is a sign of a healthy company.

Dan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Dan: Thanks for clarifying these questions. I have a simple question concerning 3rd shift startup. I am a Quality Assurance Engineer and also an ISO-9001:2000 Certified Lead Assessor (IRCA QMS2000). I have concerns about my order and my car being built on 3rd shift. I understand that there are start up glitches, I have been reading these quality and reliability issues with great focus since I've become a member and have been a potential new Dodge customer. What measures is DCX making to help minimize other potential quality issues beginning with 3rd shift production with 1000 new employees? I'm very nervous about my car being built on 3rd shift in this environment.

Help with that question will, I think, ease my mind a bit. Hopefully no corrective actions from me? (I'll try to restrain myself as a customer!). In advance, thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
DodgeInfoCenter said:
Finally for those concerned regarding individuals who placed an order later then you who have received there vehicle first, well this is just how the manufacturing process works. Placing order X does not guarantee you will receive the X vehicle produced. Vehicles are assembled in allotments of similar equipped & colored models not on order #’s. Keep in mind supplier delays might also attribute to a delayed/post-poned delivery date of any order.
Say I'm the only one to order a Sunburst Orange SXT Sport with the 1.8L. Could my order potentially keep getting delayed as long as there are multiple similar orders coming in, even after I order mine?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts