Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As mentioned in the thread linked below, I'm gonna be opening up my headlights and painting the housing black this weekend. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the headlights and know's how to remove them. Does the bumper need to come off? how about the grille? any clips i should watch for and be careful not to break?

Please let me know if you have any experience.

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=44436#post44436

·
Registered
687 Posts
The car is not made to take apart and put back together again using the same parts. That said, you have your mind made up I'm sure. Both headlights are each a unit and you can unbolt them only after taking off the bumper which includes the grill as one unit. Start under the splashshield with the screws and push pins and then under the hood to loosen the bumper. The notch in the push pins is used to get something between it and pull up which will loosen the push pin. It don't always work as well as one would like so new push pins from the dealer might be an option (I'd guess not in stock either) so this project is a HIGH RISK one. I'd help more but this is not my area. If you wanted to change the carpet I'd give you detailed info on those steps.

Keep us updated and pictures are GREAT!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
by high risk, do you mean because the clips may break? or is there something else?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well looking at the pictures it looks nice, but I can't say I'd go through all that risk vs. reward. After you unbolt the headlight it will not just fall out, you must pull - unsnap it. When you do it will sound like something breaks, but I doubt anything will. Keep us updated and don't forget the pictures. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the information and tips so far... if anyone else know's anything or has any input or experience in this kind of thing, it would be greatly appreciated if you can post something.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Black_RT said:
thanks for the information and tips so far... if anyone else know's anything or has any input or experience in this kind of thing, it would be greatly appreciated if you can post something.

thanks.
If you have the guts to do it, and be the first, I think they will look awesome when completed!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Black_RT said:
As mentioned in the thread linked below, I'm gonna be opening up my headlights and painting the housing black this weekend. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the headlights and know's how to remove them. Does the bumper need to come off? how about the grille? any clips i should watch for and be careful not to break?

Please let me know if you have any experience.

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=44436#post44436
UNIT

DOMESTIC

1.Open hood.2.Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.3.Loosen the fascia on the side you're taking the front lamp unit out on. The fasteners along the radiator closure panel, the splash shield to fascia screws, and the bolt holding the fascia to the fender at the wheel well opening.4.Remove the three screws (3) to the front lamp unit (4) to body.5.Pull the front lamp unit (4) straight back to unsnap the ball and socket pivots from the retainer (1).

6.Maneuver the front lamp unit out of its mounting pocket, enough to expose the individual lamp (1) electrical connectors (2 and 3).7.Disconnect the two electrical connectors (2 and 3).

i hope this helps lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tuff5liter said:
i hope this helps lol
kind of helps, but not really all that much.

so i attempted this last weekend and i got the 6 screws off the top of the grill and the 4 on the sides off. after that i didn't know what to do. i didn't peel off the splash guard in the wheel wells cause it got too dark and i figured i'd get some more info and try again this weekend. any one else got some more advice for me?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
by the way, here's a horrible paint picture of what i want the end product to look like... i know my paint skills suck and i don't have photoshop at work so i couldn't spend more than 4 min on it. but i think it's enough to give you an idea.

by the way, i don't wanna paint over the reflector. i would either take it out (i find it way too big and ugly) or i'll overspray it lightly like in the honda link i provided above.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I actually thought about doing this too. I would rather try something reversable first or get a spare set.
I have worked in bodyshops for a good while and all i did was take apart cars and put them back togeather. Im ready for just about anything after pulling apart dozens of brand new mercedes and audis.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fingernipp said:
I actually thought about doing this too. I would rather try something reversable first or get a spare set.
I have worked in bodyshops for a good while and all i did was take apart cars and put them back togeather. Im ready for just about anything after pulling apart dozens of brand new mercedes and audis.
any tips or ideas on how to get the bumper off?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
if the sun at least comes out this weekend ill climb under and see how i would attack it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I went and talked to the team leader that installs the fascia/bumper. I hope these steps help. I really wish I would be allowed to take step-by-step pictures in the plant. I'll try to talk you through it without pictures. Unlike what I previously said in this thread it seems after talking to the team leader more you do not need to remove any push pins.

1. Remove the (2) 7mm screws in each wheel well to loosen the black plastic splash shield.

2. Carefully push the splash shield in just enough to locate the (1) hidden 7mm fascia to fender screw.

3. Remove the (3) 10mm bolts under the fascia.

4. Open the hood and remove the (5) 10mm please note the two outside ones are shorter than the other three.

The fascia should be loose now. If you have fog lights they need to be unplugged after you get the fascia halfway off. Find some help (3 poeple total would be safe) so you don't drop the fascia when trying to remove it. Lift the top of the fascia off the support under the hood first. Now from each wheel well push the fascia outward at the sametime to avoid it from binding.

Headlights - (3) 10mm bolts. The headlight fixture will not fall out after the bolts are removed. You have to pull it towards you to unsnap it, the whole fixture at the sametime.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I Did It!

well finally managed to get the bumper off and got access to the headlights. i took pics the whole way and have before and after shots... their at home though, might be able to post them when i get home tonight around 8 or 9

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
haven't had the chance to post, but i got this done. been ridin' around with my blacked-out headlights since last sunday. they look awesome... i had pictures of the whole process and before and after but they got deleted :O

just one screw-up, i guess i rushed the sealant on the drivers side light so moisture got in there and it's all fogged up. i'm gonna tear the car apart again on sunday and open it up and reseal. i'll take pictures of how to do it again and post.

looks amazing though, lot's of compliments.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I cant wait to see.

·
Registered
142 Posts
^^ That's exactly why I wouldn't try this. Sounds like it may be a nightmare if you don't reseal them properly. I already had a rear taillight replaced because it had moisture in it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jongunz said:
^^ That's exactly why I wouldn't try this. Sounds like it may be a nightmare if you don't reseal them properly. I already had a rear taillight replaced because it had moisture in it.
i don't see any problems. as far as i can tell all i have to do is bake them again, open them up. dry them (let them air out) and clean the lens again and back + seal properly. the reason it's fogged up is because i rushed it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
BlackRT...i'm definitly gonna have to hook up w/ you and check it out. I'm stoked to see what it looks like! I am giving serious thoughts to buying the blacked out heads off ebay but i've been too chickensh*t and have been waiting for another guinea pig to do it first. I just don't buy the whole "plug and play" they state. Seems like too many bulbs,halos etc.. to be a direct swap replacement.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts