Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering because the steering and brake systems feel like something else other than a mechanical function is going on (more than power steering and power brakes). My wife has noticed the same thing and mentioned it curiously to me. Once I decided that there may be some assistance going on the drive feel began making sense to me.

The steering, braking and throttle controls are all drive-by-wire (electronic and computer)... right???

Anyone know what kind of system it is, how it works and what the details and features are?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I highly doubt that it uses a drive-by-wire system. To the best of my recollection, only the high end BMW's, Mercedes and the like use them. Yes the Caliber has power steering (obviously) but it doesn't have brake assist (which is a different feature altogether). I'm not sure if it has speed sensitive assist like the VW Jetta has, where the amount of steering boost is greater at lower speeds (to make parking lot driving easier) to less boost at higher speeds (so that you don't go flying into the next lane when you sneeze... lol).

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the throttle control is all electronic (so I guess that's throttle-by-wire... heh) as there is no mechanical connection down there (that I saw) but merely a bunch of electrical wires.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's got a vacuum assist braking system like most cars out there, but I don't think it's got anything other than that. They do have anti-lock brakes, though. :D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, could be that I'm imagining it. Maybe it's a Dodge thing... because the steering and braking feel different that the last several cars I’ve owned (02 and 97 Cavalier, 89 Omni & 89 Golf).

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Maybe that could be it..I dunno..:)

Hahaha...flying into the next lane when you sneeze..:D:D

·
Registered
746 Posts
Amandyke said:
The throttle is drive-by-wire.
no way i didn't know that! that's awesome! i thought the honda fit was the only entry level car that had throttle by wire although i'm wondering if the caliber could be considered an entry level vehicle anymore...

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
superbang said:
no way i didn't know that! that's awesome! i thought the honda fit was the only entry level car that had throttle by wire although i'm wondering if the caliber could be considered an entry level vehicle anymore...
Doesn't the '06 Civic use that too or was I dreaming, I know, like you mentioned, the Fit also uses that. I sat in a Fit at the NY Auto show, not too shabby:cool: The only thing I didn't like was the 109HP, but it gets about 32MPG City;) If it came with the 140ish HP engine from the Civic then it will be a a pretty neat car to drive.

Pretty cool to know that the Caliber uses it too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts