Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems the upcoming month will introduce a new incentive from DCX... and that is that a customer can return (for a slight fee based on miles driven) a car within 30 days if they are unhappy with it. I guess it doesn't even need to have mechanical or build problems; if they just don't like the car or find a better option, they can return it.

I think this is an interesting approach to get people to test out a car, and to make them more comfortable with their purchase as they know they'll have some sort of a safety net if the car doesn't meet expecations after the initial days of shock and awe. It'll be interesting to see, if at all, how this plan is received by the public. I don't think anyone outside of The Auto Industry knows who Zetsche is, so I hope they can communicate this message without people thinking he's the father of the wacky guy in the VW-Pimp-Mein-Auto campaign.

-- -----------------------

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060622/AUTO01/606220427/1148/rss25

-- -----------------------

·
Registered
86 Posts
Absolutely

·
Registered
226 Posts
It looks as though they "may" come back out with the Employee pricing again as well as the above mentioned. I think it will help people feel more comfortable in the purchase knowing that if they don't like it... they can take it back. So often people feel pushed to purchase a vehicle at any dealership, 5 star or not. This gives them a little more power in their decision making.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Great. Picking up my car either today or monday. Watch, the price will drop on the 1st, or some other incentive. Should I hold off a few days to see what happens?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Don't count on a slight fee. There will be a restocking fee, which will be a percentage of the purchase price, a per mile charge will also be deducted from reimbursement amount. You will also not be reimbursed for TTL.

Also, It is only going to be eligible to consumers that purchase without a trade-in, and those who lease are not eligible.

Oh, and I almost forgot. 2007 Models will not be included in any of the upcoming incentives, which means Caliber will not be included. They will only be for 2006 models (excluding Sprinter, Viper, and all SRT-8 Models), and select 2005 models.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Daimler Chrysler to offer 30 day return policy

This might be of interest to prospective Caliber or other Daimler Chrysler product buyers (it's the first I've heard of this):

Over the weekend CNN reported a story regarding plans by Daimler Chrysler to begin offering a 30 day return policy on new cars. Essentially, if you buy a Daimler Chrysler product and aren't completely satsified, you'll be able to return the vehicle within 30 days (I believe Saturn did this a few years back). The report didn't specify when Daimler Chrysler would introduce the new policy but there will apparently be an annoucement (by Daimler Chrysler) shortly. Also, I believe this may only apply to the U.S. (although I wouldn't be surprised if Canada followed suit).

The report did mention that Daimler Chrysler would charge some kind of fee if the vehicle was in fact returned; something like a mileage fee. Regardless, it might make the car buying experience a little easier to take if you know you can bring the car back if you really don't like it.

Now we'll just have to wait for Daimler Chrysler to verify the CNN story.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: Daimler Chrysler to offer 30 day return policy

It will not include Calibers, though, as it is a 2007 Model Year vehicle.

Also, this topic was already discussed in another thread.

·
Registered
361 Posts

futureowner said:
(although I wouldn't be surprised if Canada followed suit).
Some dealers here have blue signs with white text encouraging you to ask about the 30 day return policy.

·
Registered
22 Posts

TommyLee said:
It will not include Calibers, though, as it is a 2007 Model Year vehicle.
That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense as most DCX vehicles coming out in the next few months will ALL be 2007's. Case in point, the 2007 Chrysler Aspen, the 2007 Sebring, the 2007 Jeep Compass, 2007 Dodge Nitro, etc. One would think that if a car company is offering up a whole bunch of new models in a year where a lot of other car companys are offering up new models that you would include your new models in a program like the 30 day return thing that Chrysler is supposed to offer.

TommyLee said:
Also, this topic was already discussed in another thread.
I searched for this topic and nothing came up. Perhaps it's outdated or been deleted ?

·
Registered
173 Posts

futureowner said:
That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense as most DCX vehicles coming out in the next few months will ALL be 2007's. Case in point, the 2007 Chrysler Aspen, the 2007 Sebring, the 2007 Jeep Compass, 2007 Dodge Nitro, etc. One would think that if a car company is offering up a whole bunch of new models in a year where a lot of other car companys are offering up new models that you would include your new models in a program like the 30 day return thing that Chrysler is supposed to offer.
It would make sense, because the point of the program is to move the remaining 2006 models. You will see that I am correct in due time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
30-day return program = :confused:

so... you show up in some wholesale clunker, trade for an '06 charger, then bring it back on the 30th day... and then demand your old car back?!

Um... NO. Many dealers are refusing to participate, because the last time they tried to pull this crap quite a few lots went bust and shut down. Yeah, good idea... run a program that shuts down dealerships so even less of your cars get sold... real smart.

also, the employee pricing thing isn't what it's cracked up to be... the current incentives place some vehicles thousands below original invoice, whereas employee pricing does not include rebates (which actually makes the cost to purchase HIGHER)... and they're not going to be sold below invoice... it's kind of like the "no-haggle" pricing Saturn uses. Sad thing is, yes, it will undoubtedly move more units, but at greater cost to both the dealers AND the customers...

Now, if they offer 0% financing with employee pricing that would be different, but it's not likely to ever happen.

-Jeff

·
Registered
173 Posts
salesman_type_guy said:

so... you show up in some wholesale clunker, trade for an '06 charger, then bring it back on the 30th day... and then demand your old car back?!

Um... NO. Many dealers are refusing to participate, because the last time they tried to pull this crap quite a few lots went bust and shut down. Yeah, good idea... run a program that shuts down dealerships so even less of your cars get sold... real smart.

also, the employee pricing thing isn't what it's cracked up to be... the current incentives place some vehicles thousands below original invoice, whereas employee pricing does not include rebates (which actually makes the cost to purchase HIGHER)... and they're not going to be sold below invoice... it's kind of like the "no-haggle" pricing Saturn uses. Sad thing is, yes, it will undoubtedly move more units, but at greater cost to both the dealers AND the customers...

Now, if they offer 0% financing with employee pricing that would be different, but it's not likely to ever happen.

-Jeff
Oh, ye of little faith...;)

·
Registered
901 Posts
salesman_type_guy said:
so... you show up in some wholesale clunker, trade for an '06 charger, then bring it back on the 30th day... and then demand your old car back?!...
Really, that's a practical question...
Say you traded in a vehicle, or turned one in when its lease was up. If you DO return the new car within 30 days, you'd be out a vehicle. And then would you feel pressured to buy another new vehicle right then and there? I mean, you'd need one. So then that leaves you a sitting duck for any agressive sales tactics? But if you returned a car in the first place, perhaps you don't WANT another from the same brand or same dealership?

To be completely cynical, I suppose this predicament is all your own problem then... So maybe the money-back program won't be as much as an "incentive" as assumed?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Deals involving trade-ins will not be eligible, nor will lease deals. These are non-issues on Calibers, as they will not be eligible for the program, anyway.

Also, very few dealers will refuse to participate in this program as there is no financial obligation from the dealer.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Employee prices do include all other incentives. When I bought my 2004 Durango I was able to get the Supplier price, which is 1% above employee price. At the time that was 1% below invoice minus all rebates. it was a fixed price, no haggle and about $9,000 off MSRP.

Current Supplier/Employee pricing no longer goes off invoice. On top of the current rebates they simply add another rebate. DCX wants to get away from negotiating based on invoice. Won't work. People willing to haggle will still do their homework and know how far the dealer can go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts