Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Is there anything special I should tell my husband about changing the oil on my Caliber?

Do you need any special tools?

What kind of oil filter and oil do you use?

Thanks,

Katie

·
Registered
39 Posts
the oil filter in these cars is straight up and down. Guess what that means... the vertical position causes some very messy oil changing because as it unscrews, oil just dumps onto your hand. as for what type of oil to use, check it out in your owners manual. special tools? i believe there is a special type of wrench for filter removal. I've just seen my dad do it and have never changed it myself :rolleyes: good luck!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
all you need is a universal filter tool ... i bought one from autozone for 7 bucks.. the manual for the 2.0 calls for 5w30 weight. Autozone has everything you need... 1 thing to keep in mind is that oil will cost more than usuall which is why i take mine to the dealership now costs me 3 dollars more to pay them per change. worth my time and the mess if you ask me. my dealer offers the 4th change free. for 4 oil changes it costs me 90 bucks.. if i do it myself..80. see my drift here? and it keeps your vehicle uptodate in thier system if there is ever an issue with warranty. Ask your local service dept. if they have the same deal that ours offers.

Bryan

·
Registered
237 Posts
Type of oil can be found in the owners manual, Fluid Types and Capcatities or Maintainence section. Usually no special tools required. The drain plug should be a regular bolt, most likely a 13mm in size. Filter wrenches come in various types, which one is best depends on the access you have in that particualr car.

If he's done oil changes before, it shouldnt be too hard, big thing, if this is your Calibers first oil change is to know that its gonna be a bear to get that filter off. Lots of twist, not so much crush. Many Dodge vehicles, the factory filters are very tough to remove without damage, factory just puts them on that way.

Not saying it cant be done, just takes more cuation to not damage the filter, becuase cutting one off is a pain you want to avoid.

Oil filter can be had at any auto parts place, try to avoid Fram.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm with boostdog, its not really worth the DIY unless you're a car nut who doesn't trust the dealer. If you do, remember to properly dispose of the old stuff.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
buy by the 12 case of oil... get 2 filters at a time and you definetly save over having it done at the dealership. The first time you remove the filter will be tough because its overtightened from factory. I priced out oil changes at my dealership using full synthetic and its significantly more expensive.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I usually buy the 5qt jugs of oil from Walmart. Cheaper than buying by the case or by the quart. Haven't changed the oil in the Caliber yet though since we have free oil changes for a year through the dealer. But as soon as the free oil changes are over, I'm doing it myself. Not that I don't trust the dealer, but I enjoy working on my own vehicles, and I can do it cheaper and I don't have to drive to the dealer and wait on them to finish.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
yeah the jugs definetly are cheaper. I dont often see the mobil 1 jugs though but when i do see them i grab them up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I have free oil changes until 30000 miles. The jug is cheaper then buy the quart. If you do your self keep the recepit and wirte the mileage so if dealer question because warranty issue you have something to prove that you did it. It think It would be cheap do your self my dealer charge 29.95 and on the malibu it cost betwen $9-$14 depending if have to replace the air filter. Also make sure you lube the doors to and actual on the malibu make sure the tire rods and other suspension parts have plenty grease.

·
Registered
92 Posts
my husband changed the oil on the cali already. we bought the filter for like $3. definately cheaper to change it yourself. we buy the oil by the case as we use the same oil for all 3 cars we have. (& the case is always onsale or with a rebate)
never had an issue with the warranty. Save the receipts and write down the date & milage and all is ok.

·
Registered
147 Posts
boostdog said:
the manual for the 2.0 calls for 5w30 weight.
Bryan
You had been complaining about getting poor gas mileage. That could be a small part of it. As others have said, 5W-20 is the preferred oil for these engines. Changing to that may help your mileage.

J

1 - 12 of 12 Posts