Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of us here on Caliberforums.com are passionate (some, like me, to a fault) about our cars. However, I see a lot of people who just don't care about their vehicle and what it says about them, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I pass by a Caliber every once in a while, and I will give a little wave or two fingers or something to greet the passing driver. But I have not even got a look, or any response. Granted people's minds are in other places, but damn, pay some attention.

Am I weird or something? Go ahead and say it, it wouldn't be the first time.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Thing I've noticed here around Coronado, is 90% of the Calibers I see are all RENTALS!!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HSKR said:
Thing I've noticed here around Coronado, is 90% of the Calibers I see are all RENTALS!!!!
Mmm, never thought of that, figured the Caliber was too new to be a rental already.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I saw a Caliber pull into a place one day as I was leaving. I got so excited and I pulled around so I could talk to him. I asked how he liked his Caliber, and he said it was "ok". Then I realized it was a rental car.

I always make it a point to wave at Calibers when we pass, and I used to get frantic waves and smiles from the others, but lately I'm not getting much. I don't think they really notice, and that surprises me. I can spot a Caliber from a mile away. We are a special group, so we should all wave at any other Caliber we see!

·
Registered
147 Posts
For one, I think it's overly enthusiastic/borderline weird to wave at someone just because they have the same car. The first reaction is or the other driver is probably "Do I know that person?" rather than realizing they're being waved at for having the same car. Harley riders have done this for years, but I still think it's odd.

Now being in the same area (parking lot, gas station, etc) because you see someone with the vehicle & asking how they like theirs is not so odd...it's poilte conversation looking for another person's opinion.

Just my $.02
J

·
Registered
911 Posts
jmettee said:
Harley riders have done this for years, but I still think it's odd.
J
Well Harley owners are a little weird most of the time anyways. All they care about is how loud their can like their bicycle. Its like the Honda Civic of cars. Lots of noise, little or no performance. :D

I don't think its too weird to ask people how they like their Caliber. I do think its a little weird waving at every Caliber that goes by. Its not like its a rare car anymore. I see Calibers all over the place now and some are actually on dealers lots waiting to be purchased now days, although not for very long.

·
Registered
371 Posts
jmettee said:
For one, I think it's overly enthusiastic/borderline weird to wave at someone just because they have the same car. The first reaction is or the other driver is probably "Do I know that person?" rather than realizing they're being waved at for having the same car. Harley riders have done this for years, but I still think it's odd.

Now being in the same area (parking lot, gas station, etc) because you see someone with the vehicle & asking how they like theirs is not so odd...it's poilte conversation looking for another person's opinion.

Just my $.02
J
In the small towns and back roads of Texas, people still wave as they pass by. Nobody thinks it's weird unless you're not from around here. When we go to the store and you catch someone's eye, you both say Hi. And if you break down or run out of gas, there will be several people who will immediately stop to help you out. Just good ol' Texas hospitality.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Fitz said:
In the small towns and back roads of Texas, people still wave as they pass by. Nobody thinks it's weird unless you're not from around here. When we go to the store and you catch someone's eye, you both say Hi. And if you break down or run out of gas, there will be several people who will immediately stop to help you out. Just good ol' Texas hospitality.
Same way in rural Nebraska. Where I grew up, I live a mile outside of the town(less than 100 people). If I rode my bike into town there would be at least 2-3 people that would stop and ask if I wanted a ride. It was only a mile bike ride though. Nobody locked the doors on thier houses, and everyone left the keys in the ignition unless they went to the bigger cities.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Like hskr said, a majority of the Calibers around here are rentals. Enterprise has ALOT of them for rentals.

Another thing, most people from Cali are not very sociable people, rude, dont give a hoot about anyone but them selves.... BUT you will find a few Cali people who arent like that( Now I can say this cause I was born and raised here in cali, I know first hand that people are not very nice here) .

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had the same thing going on in 2000 when they first released the xterra, different enough you can spot them a mile away. Some waved, some were clueless, and I'm getting the same reaction with the caliber.
I find it fun trying to spot a club sticker (xterra) or someone who is modding their vehicle...these are the owners you get a wave back from.
Funny part, I still seem to try to park next to another caliber (or xteera) when heading to a mall etc.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha, well, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. Being from New Hampshire originally, I am used to the small town / tight knit community, and yes, most people in Cali have their heads shoved up their a$$.

Never figured the Caliber as a rental until now, thought it was too new.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Fitz said:
Does that hospitality extend to people of the non-white variety?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Trythisonforsize said:
Never figured the Caliber as a rental until now, thought it was too new.
The first Caliber I ever saw was a rental when I was in Hawaii.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have received more waves than I initiated...although I have seen more Calibers in Orange, Sulivan and Dutchess than further south. Everyone I have seen moving gave a wave and I have reciprocated.

Now this comes from two things; part of Fitz's point that we wave in small towns and part that people are happy to see other Calibers :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since I just got my Caliber today, I haven't had the chance to wave or talk to another Caliber owner.

Our other vehicle is a Honda Element and we do a lot of waving and get waves in return. I think like Harley owners, Element owner are a bit weird. :p

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sleazy said:
Does that hospitality extend to people of the non-white variety?
ABSOLUTELY!!! It doesn't matter who you are. We get a bad rap down here, but in reality, we're probably less prejudiced than a lot of people up north. Down here, we all live side by side. Up north, you tend to segregate. We grew up with all kinds of people. Yeah there are always the fringe elements, and we do voice our opinions more openly, But, when a person needs help, no matter if they're African American, Hispanic, or Asian, we help. And we wave and socialize with everyone in those small towns.

Randy Newman wrote a song back in the 70's called "********". In it he talked about how the north had set the Black man free- "He's free to be put in a cage in Harlem, New York City, He's free to be put in a cage in Roxbury in Boston," and East St. Louis, Fillmore in S.F., South side of Chicago, and so forth and so on. When I went to college in Pittsburgh, I was amazed at all the white people who had never even been around people of other races. But yet I was catogorized as the racist because I was from the south.

Sorry to go on like that, but when I see a reference as to how bad us Texans are, I get a little defensive. I've always liked your comments Sleazy, so I hope you don't take offense to my reply. Hell, I don't even know where you're from. Anyway, we're not all bad down here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah you're weird.
If you walk past a guy wearing the same shoes as you do you wave?

What's the difference?

Maybe he thinks the shoes that he wear says something about him. Would you think it was strange if he waved at you?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts