Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed how bad the front rotors get wet when driving on the highway in the rain? I think it might be the air ducts sucking in the road mist and spraying the inside of the rotors.

It was scary the first time I had to hit the brakes, and there were none.

I was thinking of taking the air ducts out completely. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I drove to FL last week 14 hours straight and I was playing around the whole time, zero brake fade no problems with the brakes.

·
Registered
445 Posts
if you think the vents are a problem just try covering them up with plastic on the end of the pipe and securing it with a clamp or similar item. See if it helps, I've driven through some big storms on the highway and never felt that problem, I don't know if it is worse in winter conditions. ?

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
if you think the vents are a problem just try covering them up with plastic on the end of the pipe and securing it with a clamp or similar item. See if it helps, I've driven through some big storms on the highway and never felt that problem, I don't know if it is worse in winter conditions. ?
I have just been through some of the worst snow shiit you could imagine over the holidays, and never a problem. Not even the icing up of the vents as described by others.

I've spent a good deal of time punishing the brakes, even with the esp off and producing better than published stopping distances.

Maybe these guys shoudl get their brakes checked out?
Seriously these brakes are some of the better brakes I have had on any car.

I think the only way to produce fade would be by riding them, but every car and driver is different in what they do.

I think we need more details.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think this brakes are awsome, took this sucker from 0-140 back down to 30 and up to 120 and hit the brake hard so far so good.

Maybe you guys should get it check, also don't have any problems in the rain or cold weather ether.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
lol you gotta be kidding ahahahaha.. funniest thing I heard in a little while.... Dude, at a highway speed, you would have to apply a brake for about 1/4 of a second before friction will cause all water to evaporate instantly... If you have issues with brakes it has NOTHING to do with wet rotors....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem is not Brake Fade. I know what that is. I also don't have problems when the roads are dry. Obviously no one else has seen this before. My regular (NON-SRT) caliber didn't have any issues with this problem.

I think I will remove or somehow block the air ducts and see how that works.

Thanks for the input SRTst, but I think it would take more than a 1/4 second to 'burn' off the water collected on the rotors and pads into steam. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I've driven through tropical storms with mine and never a problem. If there's one thing that rocks on these car it's the brakes.

It's possible you have air in your brakes lines.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Thanks for the input SRTst, but I think it would take more than a 1/4 second to 'burn' off the water collected on the rotors and pads into steam. I'll keep you posted on what I find.
How about this, drive your car to 50km/h, hit the brakes, get out of the car real quick, and stick your finger on the rotor.... Just have burn gel handy...

The ducts are pointed at the calipers to cool them down, you're not running a hose thru them.. You're wasting time and hacking up your car by removing them, that is not your problem.... It is, however, funny as hell....

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
excellant brakes. never a problem in wet or snow.

The rotors are kept dry be constant pressure by the pads. this is a + of disk brakes. they always have the pads on the rotors. No Fade, No Slip, All Brakes.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
How about this, drive your car to 50km/h, hit the brakes, get out of the car real quick, and stick your finger on the rotor.... Just have burn gel handy...

The ducts are pointed at the calipers to cool them down, you're not running a hose thru them.. You're wasting time and hacking up your car by removing them, that is not your problem.... It is, however, funny as hell....
x2.

I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE BRAKES REALLLLLLL PROBLEMS

Brake throw some major dirt and dirty my rims :jester:
x3.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE BRAKES REALLLLLLL PROBLEMS

Brake throw some major dirt and dirty my rims :jester:
That's why God made soap and water

1 - 20 of 29 Posts