Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, had to drop the car off this morning to get some things checked out. Fisrt off, the car makes a squeaking sound when driving. Doesn't change when brakes applied, so I know it's not the brakes. It's annoying. Sure you can turn the radio up to cover it up, but if the windows are down you can hear it. Especially when driving next to one of those retaining walls and it reverberates off of it.

Our steering wheel radio controls finally started going on the fritz like others have described. Sometimes they work, sometimes they just do random things. We'll see if the dealer can re-create it or not.

Asked them to check out the rattleing sound(detonation) off idle acceleration. Nothing I'm to worried about, but we'll see what they say.

Last thing, the little screw cover thing on the drivers side pillar keeps falling off by itslef.

When we get it back, I'll have to see what they fixed. Also noticed on the way to the dealer the car is starting to make more noises over speed bumps. Like something loose in the suspension or something. Will keep monitoring it and might have to take it back to get checked out.

For now though, we have a Magnum rental car courtesy of the dealer and Enterprise. Really think we should have gotten a Magnum. The size is nice. But we would have had to buy a used one to get in the price range we got our new Caliber. Oh well, maybe later on down the road if we ever out grow our Caliber.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow, sure your not driving my car? My squeek turned out to be one of the struts and then once they fixed that I had a squeek coming from the sunroof that was fixed by shimming the headliner from the roof a little. Both noises drove me crazy and after two visits where they found nothing I finally took the service manager for a ride and then it was "Oh, that noise" and it was fixed.

My car has been in twice for radio controls, twice they worked on the clock spring behind the wheel because I had an intermittent air bag light too. air bag light is now fixed, but the wheel radio controls still on the fritz.

I too had the same complaint about the suspension. Something just no longer feels right, a loose feeling when going over bumps and under certain driving conditions. They found nothing wrong however I had a Wrangler with a lift, sway-bar disconnects etc. etc. and the suspension felt tighter on it.

I eagerly await your dealerships findings.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, just got off the phone with the dealer. They replaced one of the radio switches, so we'll see how that goes. They also ordered the new pillar trim piece that the screw cover keeps falling out of. They claimed they couldn't hear the pinging or the squeaking. Thinking I might have to take a service tech on a drive so they can hear it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a rattle on acceleration when I first got the car. Was sure it was valve train like the timing was off or something. Turned out to be something in the transmission that they said they fixed in the computer. Havent heard it since.

·
Registered
203 Posts
OK posting update since hubster is on a ship right now and cant do it.

went to the dealership today. well lets just say that after having our car for 5 friggen days I finally get it back. 2 days after they had it they FINALLY heard the noise(squeaky, comming from the passenger side brake are(not the brakes)). Anywho the service guy said the tech took apart the brakes to look for build up but apparently found nothing.

SO as SOON as I get home with the windows up and the stereo on I CAN HEAR THE DANG SQUEAK!!!!!!! ARRGGG OKAY come on! Cant they fix a simple thing. You would think as a tech if it wasent the brakes making that noise you would look beyond that. GUESS not!!!!!!

So now I have to take the car BACK in and make the dang guy go for a drive with me!!! EVEN though he already heard the noise. I know its not the brakes cause when I press on the brakes it DOES NOT GO AWAY!!!!

SO im not going back today after spending most of my morning there. I will deal with it tomorrow!

Will let you all know how it goes. Just what we need right before the holidays. MORE STRESS!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Wheel bearing possibly? Not much else in there thats rotating to make a constant squeek. Maybe CV joint....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ya I know the noise is comming in that general area. I know am 100% positive its not the brakes so going to have fun with the dealerships service dept tomorrow!

·
Registered
381 Posts
What about a sort of high frequency at the edge of your hearing type of sound coming from somewhere near the rear axle. I wonder if it is just me... It really gets on my nerves though before I turn the music on. No one else has commented on it so maybe my hearing is just whack ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Froglove,

Your hubby's deployed out of Coronado right now, that's hillarious, my sister is a Suppo Officer on the Bunker Hill and yeap, she's there with your Hubby, i'm happy for her as they've had a good trip this time, and interesting locations.

My sister always complained because she said she envied me for going to all these "war" locations and I always do TS stuff, she said she finally feels worthy of being a military officer after this tour. I'm enlisted Air Force, so I've did alot, it was cool but I'm happy that thye are having a good tour. Did you see the pic's from the typhoon they went through a month or so ago? If not, i can post a pic or two:)

·
Registered
203 Posts
OUWxGuesser said:
What about a sort of high frequency at the edge of your hearing type of sound coming from somewhere near the rear axle. I wonder if it is just me... It really gets on my nerves though before I turn the music on. No one else has commented on it so maybe my hearing is just whack ;)

HAHA I dont think its just you if im hearing the same or similar sound. Car WILL be getting taken care of today!:cool:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ya hubby is stationed at NAS North Island( coronado) weve been here for about 3 years so far. Right now hes doing circles in the water curotsey of the Navy :cool: He has been in for 11 years, 12 in May! He works for HS-4 as an AT.

You know im not sure if I saw pics of the Typhoon or not. When ya get a chance it would be nice to see afew pics! THANKS!

bahndrvr said:
Froglove,

Your hubby's deployed out of Coronado right now, that's hillarious, my sister is a Suppo Officer on the Bunker Hill and yeap, she's there with your Hubby, i'm happy for her as they've had a good trip this time, and interesting locations.

My sister always complained because she said she envied me for going to all these "war" locations and I always do TS stuff, she said she finally feels worthy of being a military officer after this tour. I'm enlisted Air Force, so I've did alot, it was cool but I'm happy that thye are having a good tour. Did you see the pic's from the typhoon they went through a month or so ago? If not, i can post a pic or two:)

·
Registered
203 Posts
OK car is BACK at the dealership AGAIN! Took the tech for a drive. He FINALLY heard the noise! He knows its not the brakes cause he was the same tech that worked on the car last time! SO he is now going to take a tranny tech on a drive with him to check it out.

He said that they are not that busy right now so he will have a few guys help him out so I can have the car back for the holidays!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sweet, and in a few hours I'll throw those pic's up of the Bunker hill getting tossed around, you know how big the ships are so you'll realize the size of the waves:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here you go, as offered, this is the bunker hill, and yeah, the bow is going up and down pretty good here.

This was 3 seperate days I recived pictures from early October, didn't realize that was so long ago already, this year has been flying lately.

Those are some big arse sea's:)

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got one or two more and it sucks because I had to resize them SOOOOO much to get them to fit on here, they were from a 6meg camera so they are crystal but too big.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Very :cool: pics, thanks for the share.

:( Sorry OFF TOPIC

·
Registered
2 Posts
FrogLove,

I know how you feel. I bought My caliber 5 months ago and have had it in the shop more that I have driven it..

Break light kept coming on driving down the road everytime I would take it in they could not dup. the problem.

same with my headlights flashing off an on in the middle of driving on a dark road. No explanation...

I have had a rattle in the driver door and they cant hear it.. I have to now take them for a ride to point it out.

among those problems my paint was peeling and they have it right now to repaint it after fighting with them for the last couple of months.

There has been other problems along with these.. I think I got a lemon...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes sounds like you have problems with your Caliber, but it don't sound like the service department is working to hard with you either! :mad:

Have you considered finding another Dodge dealer?

·
Registered
203 Posts
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
Yes sounds like you have problems with your Caliber, but it don't sound like the service department is working to hard with you either! :mad:

Have you considered finding another Dodge dealer?
Ya we have considered it. The only problem with that is I think if we take it to another dealer we lose our rental agreement while they have the car. We take our Caliber to the place where we bought it from(closet dealer) so as far as I know as long as we take it there to get it checked out than we get a rental for up to 5 days at a time I believe.

Funny thing is this is really the only major problem that we have had with the car. Its not really the mechanics its the dang:mad: service techs that work behind the computer that arent doing their job. Especially the one whos dealing with my car. Hes NEW!!! so thats a problem. To me it seems like they overload him with stuff to do. He has NEVER but once returned my calls. I HATE THAT!! So that is why I drive down there and bug him. HAHA :D

I wont sit around and let things fix themselves. I WILL get the job done! I have to with my husband being gone all the time.

·
Registered
203 Posts
bahndrvr said:
Here you go, as offered, this is the bunker hill, and yeah, the bow is going up and down pretty good here.

This was 3 seperate days I recived pictures from early October, didn't realize that was so long ago already, this year has been flying lately.

Those are some big arse sea's:)
All I can say is HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Ya I know how big the ships are!!!! WOW that must of been interesting to see in person!!! WOW just amazing!!!! :D :eek:

Thanks for sharing!! Loved the pics!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts