Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday night I was out in tampa and some stupid b**** that was drunk hit my caliber... broke the rear axel, busted the back driver side door and glass and the fender and threw off the bumper. Don't ever drink and drive. I'm only 17 and know better than to do that. It doesn't make you cool it just hurts people. That girl is so lucky i didnt get out of my car cause i would have killed her. I didnt even get out to check if she was ok i just started bawlin like a baby and was mad as hell. Haven't been able to think straight since then. How in the hell am I a 17 year old suppose to figure out how to deal with all of this...

·
Registered
294 Posts
I know it hurts, but in the words of my father many years ago "its only metal and you were able to walk away from it, that's the only thing that counts"

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
me and a buddy were hit by a drunk driver heading to uconn from RI. The guy was in a rodeo and we were in a 97 galant. The guy crossed the center line and almost took us out head on but my buddy swirved enough to make him glance off the drivers door and rear door. He didnt even stop or slow down so we whipped around and chased him about 50 miles till the cops caught up. $6000 in damages almost totalled the car but his insurance worked with him. Took a while and they didnt give him a rental because the car was still drivable (even with no windows on the drivers side and doors that would not open) but eventually the car was fixed. Just make sure if they allow you to choose teh shop that you pick a good one. Thats if the car is not totalled.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Fingernipp said:
Just make sure if they allow you to choose teh shop that you pick a good one. Thats if the car is not totalled.
We have found out the hard way on this...the place we took the truck to get it fixed after some fool rear-ended it had to fix it once, and i would have taken it back again because the paint was still bumpy, and the overspray was very evident. Check out cars that they have fixed b4 yours if possible is the best thing to do or go by word of mouth. Hope it gets fixed properly!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Calibreath said:
DUI laws are not strict enough, 2nd DUI should be no license ever again and at least one year in jail as well.
I disagree...i think the first DUI should be a year in jail and a driving ban! How many people will die...and how many <edited by admin> will walk away from a wreck(they always do) before the CDN and US law agencies say enough is enough? It isn't 1986...when it was almost acceptable to have a couple...people are educated...even the original thread starter who is 17 has more sense than that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If this is the worst thing that happens to you for the rest of your life, consider yourself lucky. You could have been seriously hurt or even killed. Be thankfull that you chose to buy a car like the caliber with it's five star crash rating.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident Sxtcaliguy07. Hope you get your Caliber repaired right and quickly. Just remember, it’s your car and they hit you. The insurance company will try to jerk you all around. You had a new car and it should be returned to new and you make the choices and decisions.

I've had three cars destroyed by drunk and or drugged people. One of them was some teenage drunk chick who did the hit-and-run. But I saw the plate number and the cops tracked her down and did practically nothing to her! Yes, she got a measly little ticket and her insurance paid for the repair, that's it. :mad: :mad: :mad: I wonder how many more people she has wrecked into since then.

Calibreath said:
DUI laws are not strict enough, 2nd DUI should be no license ever again and at least one year in jail as well.
YES!!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
that sucks, but at least your ok. and yes, DUI laws need to be a little more firm.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
sxtcaliguy07,​

As far as how a 17-year old is supposed to deal with all of this - gain the support of others who are available to help you, which I'm sure you have already done so far.

Just remember that the DUI laws are the CRIMINAL laws, which are addressed in criminal courts.

Where to REALLY pursue these folks is in CIVIL court, where you are addressing a "wrong" that is committed against you - versus only a statutory law violation against "the people at large" in reference to the relatively ineffective and underpunitive criminal laws.

I could provide a few well-know high-profile examples, but don't want to introduce something here that could turn political.

I'm assuming the other person was caught and prosecuted by law enforcement personnel? If so, the evidence from that case can be introduced to support a civil action.

Bottom line:

Criminal (to include DUI) laws are just violations against society.

Civil law is PERSONAL - wrongs against a person or group of persons.

I'm assuming you have parent(s) involved in this, too, who can provide guidance in handling this. Your family's call on this, but consider consulting a good competent and reputable attorney - many firms do free consultation, especially for victims of DUI offenders. Just the initial consult results can provide you with some effective measures to receive fair treatment by insurance reps, repair standards, and (especially) what options you have to pursue for any actions against the offender.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
That could be, too - which provides an example of how elaborating could indeed turn political, distracting from the actual discussion and the general rules of the board.

My main point was about more pertaining to situations where a notable person did not suffer the punitive effects of a criminal court - but DID pay dearly in a punitive-type settlement in civil court. A person with the same initials as "orange juice" would immediately come to mind as perhaps the best example of this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts