Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got an electronic anti dazzle mirror and I wondered how they worked.

In my previous cars I have just manually deflected them but what does this electronic version do?

It doesn't seem to physically move the mirror.

It doesn't actually seem to work as well as a manual one. I was dazzled this morning and turning the mirror off and on didn't seem to make much difference.

·
Registered
377 Posts
There should be some kind of knob to control the sensitivity of it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
There is no knob. There is a switch to turn it on or off. It works through an electrically activated chemical that alters the mirrors backing causing it to dim. It will produce a slight green or blueish hue to it when dimmed.

There is a light sensor on the front and rear of the mirror. The two sensors measure the difference in light hitting from front vs. from the rear. At night lights shining from the rear are brighter than the ambient light in front of the vehicle causing the mirror to dim. It does not dim if the sun is shining such as at sunrise.

To try it manually cover the sensor on the mirror that faces the front of the vehicle with your hand. After about 15 seconds you should see the mirror dim.

Mine cuts the glare considerably at night while still enabling me to clearly see whats behind me. With the old tilt type mirrors it would dim way too much. While that style did cut the glare the only thing left visible was the dimmed headlights of cars.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I leave my auto-dim on all the time. Works very well. I agree with Huff in that it is better than any manual dim mirror and is invisible in operation other than you don't get harsh reflections anymore. Great product.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Exactly as stated. You will never realize how much of a difference it really does make at night until you turn it off one night while driving with someone behind you. You might not think it does anything, but it cuts the glare a lot and as Huff said, still allows you to clearly see objects behind you as oposed to the manual "flip" mirrors. Also, you don't have tio flip it back in the morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts