Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or does that ugly black plastic engine cover look hideous? Does anybody make a replacement for it? I'll be a long time coming before I get a new one or make one though...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just remove it. All auto manufactures put way to much plastic over the engine.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eh, I know the VW guys all have some carbon fiber or aluminum covers they replace theirs with. I'd like to see a billet aluminum one with a big Dodge logo in the middle of it or something. Painting it does not help, its still ugly. And as far as too much plastic, my Jeep had none whatsoever. The Mercedes SUVs look BETTER with the engine covers on them due to all their wires and stuff, and I kind of feel the same way about my Caliber.

·
Registered
253 Posts
CoriolisSTORM said:
Eh, I know the VW guys all have some carbon fiber or aluminum covers they replace theirs with. I'd like to see a billet aluminum one with a big Dodge logo in the middle of it or something. Painting it does not help, its still ugly. And as far as too much plastic, my Jeep had none whatsoever. The Mercedes SUVs look BETTER with the engine covers on them due to all their wires and stuff, and I kind of feel the same way about my Caliber.
we can due you one up at work 100$ an hr maybe 20 hr for the first one:eek:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said, not gonna do it anytime soon... I know my way around a milling machine just fine thank you, so I should (in theory) be able to do it one day.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Everyone does not have this problem.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
??? I missed something I think. Oh well, just thinking outside the box a little, I'll think something up eventually.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Everyone does not have engine covers.

I have one with my Caliber and like it. Plastic is easy to keep clean. I question though in the summer time if the cover maybe does more harm (trap heat) than good. :confused:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
Everyone does not have engine covers.

I have one with my Caliber and like it. Plastic is easy to keep clean. I question though in the summer time if the cover maybe does more harm (trap heat) than good. :confused:
I heard that they only install them on the R/T now to cut costs. Can you confirm??

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
my sxt has one - but then it was apparently built in november:rolleyes:

but the one that i looked at at the toronto auto show did not have an engine cover now that you mention it

·
Registered
432 Posts
August 2006 was my build date on the SXT and it also has the engine cover.

Have not heard about it being omitted on new builds.

IBUILDCALIBERS would be the one to comment here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey... I'm new here. First post.

My SXT was built about 10 days ago, and it does not have the cover either. Could be that the R/T is the only model to get it anymore. I didn't particularly care for the ones that I've seen either.

Glad to see a forum for this car... I really enjoy mine so far!

- Gus

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I have no issues with the cover at all. Easy to remove and makes the engine bay look alot neater.

·
Registered
775 Posts
If you don't like the looks of the engine cover, just do as I did:

·
Registered
687 Posts
I called the dealership to find out how much an engine cover would cost for those that might not have one but want one. I was given a price of $22.00 US$ and the part number I was given is 4891715AB.

Side note, they told me it's nolonger on the 1.8 or 2.0 but all 2.4 engines still get it.

I thought it was all engines, but never checked myself. Now I have something to double check. :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
that looks awesome Michael. What type of paint did you use and do you just pull the cover off, or is there some technique to it?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Covers just pop off. i think you have to take the oil fill cap off first though

1 - 20 of 27 Posts