Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an answer to my questions at the end? :confused:
The following is from the service manual as it relates to the EVIC

The Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) features a driver-interactive display (29). The display is located in the lower left part of the instrument cluster below the fuel and engine temperature gauges (1 and 3). This system conveniently allows the driver to select a variety of useful information by pressing the STEP button (28) to the right of the EVIC display. The EVIC displays information related to the following:

System Status​

Vehicle information warning message displays

Personal Settings (customer programmable features)

Compass display

Outside temperature display

Trip computer functions

UConnect™ hands-free communication system displays - If Equipped

Navigation system screens - If Equipped​

Audio mode display

HANDS FREE TELEPHONE MODE - IF EQUIPPED​

Provides the following information and features for the optional hands-free communications system:​

Phone status: idle, voice mail, roaming, battery strength and signal strength in increments of 20 percent​

Call status: Incoming call, connecting, connected, air time in minutes and seconds, call ended, busy, call failed, roaming and no phone connection

Caller ID phone number display​

I have uConnect and I have never seen any information displayed on the EVIC at any time regarding its status, etc. There is some information (but not as much as they describe in the book) displayed on the radio screen but only when uConnect is activated.

Any thoughts on this?
Is EVIC capable of displaying this kind of information?
Is there something I need to do to mine to get it to display this information?​

Just trying to get all the parts to talk to each other and tell me about their day.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'll have to look into that as well. I have never seen any UConnect information on my EVIC display either. The information displayed on your radio is dependent on your phone capabilities. I have the REC unit which can show battery strenth and signal strength. However, my phone does not send the battery info so the REC unit shows a battery but no indication of its strength.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
What i understand is that it depends on the phone you use. Alot of models wont display battery life and signal strength properly over bluetooth.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yep, lots of it is phone dependant, and VErizon, for instance, delibertely lobotomizes BT functionality on thier phones.

·
Registered
237 Posts
And hey, while I have some EVIC guys here, heres something to try. I dont know your button configuration, so you might have to do some playing, but theres a kinda backdoor in the Charger EVIC, might be in your also.

In the Chargers that have steering wheel radio controls, if I press and hold the compass button, and then press and hold the music note button on the other side of the wheel, after a few seconds, the EVIC switches into a data mode, meant for enigneers, but acessible by us.

In Chargers, I can see raw sensor data like fuel level senders (two, becuase we have a two sided tank), oil pressure and temp, coolant temp, raw outside temp, and a few others. Why not play around and see if you guys have something similar.

·
Registered
721 Posts
GLHS837 said:
And hey, while I have some EVIC guys here, heres something to try. I dont know your button configuration, so you might have to do some playing, but theres a kinda backdoor in the Charger EVIC, might be in your also.

In the Chargers that have steering wheel radio controls, if I press and hold the compass button, and then press and hold the music note button on the other side of the wheel, after a few seconds, the EVIC switches into a data mode, meant for enigneers, but acessible by us.

In Chargers, I can see raw sensor data like fuel level senders (two, becuase we have a two sided tank), oil pressure and temp, coolant temp, raw outside temp, and a few others. Why not play around and see if you guys have something similar.
Do we have a music note button on ours? I dont think we do, but it would be worth trying to find out, since that's what I'm wanting to do with a car PC anyway...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I dont think you do, it willl be something else, if its there. I'll be at a Dodge dealer Sunday for an LX car meet and greet, amybe they will let me play then.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Try odd combinations that logic would never let you combine, the odometer reset button, that sort of thing. Dodge is the king of "Easter Eggs" in the electronics. On almost any Dodge going back to the earliest computer controlled models, you can trigger a display of engine codes using just flippiing the ignition key back and forth from Off to ON three times. Worked on my 1985 Shelby Charger and works on my 2006 SRT-8:)

·
Registered
414 Posts
OK, I tried 6 different Bluetooth phones, all to the same results. I usedmy Sony Ericsson W800I, my wifes Sony Ericsson z520a, my bosses Blackberry 7130, my friends MotoRazor V3M, my sisters Samsung U420 and my moms Motorola. They all did the same thing, used the radio display only.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I guess that settles that. DCX must consider the radio face display as part of the EVIC. I did notice mine does indicate cell phone signal strength (only when uConnect is activated), phone numbers etc. But nothing on the dash EVIC, in fact the last radio related item (station ID etc) remains displayed while uConnect is active.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Try odd combinations that logic would never let you combine, the odometer reset button, that sort of thing. Dodge is the king of "Easter Eggs" in the electronics. On almost any Dodge going back to the earliest computer controlled models, you can trigger a display of engine codes using just flippiing the ignition key back and forth from Off to ON three times. Worked on my 1985 Shelby Charger and works on my 2006 SRT-8:)
The '97-'99 Dakota lack this feature. 96 and previous, and '00+ all have it, but not those three years. Dodge different I guess. And just to make it even more confusing. I put a '99 Dakota instrument cluster in my '00 for a few days, and I lost the ability to check codes when the '99 cluster was installed. Never tried putting a '00 into a '99 to see if the only difference was in the cluster or not.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I still want to know what all the codes are that come up when you hold the odo reset button in while you turn the key to on. It flashes through a few screens of codes and numbers, but nobody ahs been able to tel me what they mean. It also send the instrument cluster through a self test on the guages.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Wow, and I though our readouts were a little crytpic. Tommorow, I'll run those by the LXforums master tech fnky chkn, hes got allthe books and the willingness to use them:)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I can pull engine codes just fine using the key on key off trick, but don't know what the hell those numbers are for. The only way to see them is to hold the odo reset button in while you turn the ignition to on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts