Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there a lot of threads on the issue. So I apologize upfront on that. My Caliber was built 6/20 and after about 400 miles I got the exhaust ping going on after turning off the car. I swung by the dealership I bought it thru and they said that was "normal". I think a majority of people are getting replacement parts and I'd like a heads up on how this is accomplished. I'm going to call a different dealer in the area tonight and see if they are more receptive to my issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
683 Posts
A light noise after shutting off the car is normal and occurs with many vehicles. If it makes a rather loud noise while the engine is running at stop lights etc. then you have the issue being discussed.

I'm suprised you have it with a June build date. There is no TSB for this problem. However, the muffler/pipe design was changed and the newer design seems to not have this problem. Even though there is no TSB, dealers can call Chrysler and verify about the newer muffler and get it replaced under warranty. A lousy dealer won't bother calling and instead just notes no TSB, so problem is normal. Talk (nicely) direct to the service manager and not the service ticket writers. If still no luck then go to a different dealer.

My car at this very moment is at the dealer getting a new muffler put on. Also having the spark knock update and thermostat diognostic software recall done.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Today my Caliber hit 3000 miles. During my lunch break at work, I decided to call my dealer and schedule an oil change. Next Tuesday it seems is going to be my day... Near the end of the conversation, I mentioned that my Caliber has a loud exhaust ping after shutting down my car for a good five minutes. I was assured that this behavior is normal...

You know what I'm thinking. If everyone else is getting their's fixed, I damn well want mine done too. I know there is no TSB issued for this problem, but is there any memo... anything I could show to the service staff to make them think twice about this 'normal' behavior? Would you think that -politely- asking them to call Chrysler to verify the muffler change might be my ticket to success?

Any thoughts/opionions are welcome. Thanks again everyone!!

-- Devsforev

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Devsforev said:
anything I could show to the service staff to make them think twice about this 'normal' behavior? Would you think that -politely- asking them to call Chrysler to verify the muffler change might be my ticket to success?
You (and anyone else for that matter) should copy-n-paste the several posts here (look through the similar thread topic titles and or do a search) and take them to your service manager. Show then the several dealer responses and how the members here faired. Most if not all of us who have had the problem and asked the dealers to help with it, got the thing repaired. It may have taken some creative discussions on our part but in the end we have a better car for it.

Hope things go well for you.

·
Banned
554 Posts
GOT said:
You (and anyone else for that matter) should copy-n-paste the several posts here (look through the similar thread topic titles and or do a search) and take them to your service manager.
Yep, and make sure to take a photo of my print-out that is in a couple of those threads. My print-out showed that it was indeed a TSB, & was repaired accordingly. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bulldogger said:
Yep, and make sure to take a photo of my print-out that is in a couple of those threads. My print-out showed that it was indeed a TSB, & was repaired accordingly. Good luck.
Could you kindly link us to your photo? I searched through your existing threads, but had trouble finding it. Thank you so much. I'm sure this would help all of us :-D

-- Devsforev

·
Registered
683 Posts
Your muffler was not replaced under any TSB even though your ticket says that. The dealer has to write something in there. There was a memo to dealers explaining that a new muffler was made and gave a clean build date for it. Dealers can at their discretion replace the old style with the new.

On my ticket the dealer wrote that "Customer reports a noisy muffler, Replaced muffler." No TSB. Note on your ticket, no TSB number is given as being performed.

I think it really depends on the quality of a dealers service dept. on who gets it replaced and who doesn't. People need to talk directly to the service manager and not ticket writers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have this same exhaust ping problem. Ive had it since about 300 miles and my caliber has 2500 now. Mine is progresisvely worse everytime I drive the car. STarts up as soon as the car is warmed up, constantly pings loudly nonstop the whole time im driving, and sometimes I can even hear it over the radio its so loud. Its really embarraassing.

The guy at the dealership told me also that 'this is normal, thats just what cars do.' I told him that hes full of crap, because I can understand it for a mintue after you cut the car off when its all cooling down, but driving down the road at 45mph and you hear it constantly over the radio? I might be a girl, but im not an idiot and I think I have a major issue w/ the car. Hopefully its fixed now, if not, Ill be taking steps to file a lemon law case.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am really tempted to print out jayster_4_69 pictures of recipt from his dealership that explains how they fixed the exhaust ping. I wonder if I would come off as an a**hole when the service staff is like "Nope, I assure you this is normal behavior", and then I break out the paper and say "Well if it's so normal, and can't be fixed, then how do you explain this other owner with the same problem that mysteriously had his dealership fix the problem?"

Trying to think of a way to be sort of nice about it, haha... I'll totally do it though if they refuse to acknowledge it as a problem. Sometimes on short distances, when I don't push the car too hard, I hear little ping at all. But most other times, it is LOUD as hell... I can come back 30-45 mins later and still hear a few pings every 20-30 secs or so sometimes!!! Thats -not- normal...

-- Devsforev

·
Registered
197 Posts
Finally...people who understand. I gave up being nice at my dealership....they keep feeding me lies and thinking i believe it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good morning all. This afternoon i'm going in for my 3000 mile oil change (now up to 3270-something). I printed out a bunch of different posts by memeber on this forum, and even printed jayster_4_69's photos. The moment they start saying that the exhaust pinging is normal behavior and cannot be fixed, I'm breaking out the papers and talking to the service manager!

I also got a notice in the mail this morning about the F29 recall. I'm guessing they'll have no problem doing the flash while I'm getting my oil changed.

I'll post back later tonight and update you all with how it went. Wish me luck :)

-- Devsforev

·
Registered
197 Posts
is there a link to these pictures your talking about?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If its of any help this is how I finally managed to get my exhaust fixed. I actually gave up on trying to convince my service rep. that I had a legitimate problem and instead called dodge (DC) directly. They(DC) ordered the parts , sent them to the dealer, told them how to fix it, and eventually I had my muffler/resonator replaced which got rid of that freaking noise.

·
Registered
226 Posts
They basically told me that I'm full of crap and there is no tsb and they won't fix it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts