Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Caliber in for the now famous exhaust pinging noise. Service manager looked up on screen for a TSB and found none (I was looking at the screen as well). He then called DCX and stayed on hold for 40 minutes until they came on line. He asked them what the story was on this issue.

DCX rep replied that there is no TSB at this time. However, there was a design change to the muffler and owners who have the newer muffler have not complained about the noise. There is a memo (not a TSB) that indicates the noise with older mufflers should disappate after 5,000 miles.

Here is what my dealer wrote up on my ticket.

"Owner states loud popping/creaking in exhaust system even while cruising. There is no TSB but later built mufflers appear to have less of a noise concern. Ordered new muffler for replacement"

So I will have the newer style muffler installed next week under warranty.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Huff said:
Took my Caliber in for the now famous exhaust pinging noise. Service manager looked up on screen for a TSB and found none (I was looking at the screen as well). He then called DCX and stayed on hold for 40 minutes until they came on line. He asked them what the story was on this issue.

DCX rep replied that there is no TSB at this time. However, there was a design change to the muffler and owners who have the newer muffler have not complained about the noise. There is a memo (not a TSB) that indicates the noise with older mufflers should disappate after 5,000 miles.

Here is what my dealer wrote up on my ticket.

"Owner states loud popping/creaking in exhaust system even while cruising. There is no TSB but later built mufflers appear to have less of a noise concern. Ordered new muffler for replacement"

So I will have the newer style muffler installed next week under warranty.
Good to hear. Sounds like you have responsible service manager.:cool: Hope things continue to go well and that it gets repaired well and quick.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You know it's strange... I have a really early built Caliber (February) and my car is silent... the only noise you'll hear outside of the car after its turned off is the AC compressor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
OUWxGuesser said:
You know it's strange... I have a really early built Caliber (February) and my car is silent... the only noise you'll hear outside of the car after its turned off is the AC compressor.

I hear ya....my ping was LOUD for a few hundred miles. But, now at 2500 on the odometer....it has gotten very quiet lately. A few slight pops, but that's it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So, I'm guessing that the "ping" is one of those things that if I had it, I'd know it? I find myself listening very hard to the car while driving, idling, after I shut it off, and I don't think I hear anything. Of course, since I'm listening for "something", my ears tend to pick up every tiny little sound.

So is the ping really that loud? What does it sound like?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
NyllaTx said:
So, I'm guessing that the "ping" is one of those things that if I had it, I'd know it?
You'd know it alright. It happens when you stop the car for any reason (at a stop light even). The exhaust starts to cool down and the loud ticking sounds begin. It just sounds like a very loud tick about every three seconds. My Caliber has been repaired. Now it sounds normal. :cool:

·
Registered
63 Posts
NyllaTx said:
So, I'm guessing that the "ping" is one of those things that if I had it, I'd know it? I find myself listening very hard to the car while driving, idling, after I shut it off, and I don't think I hear anything. Of course, since I'm listening for "something", my ears tend to pick up every tiny little sound.

So is the ping really that loud? What does it sound like?
Mine started at a few hundred miles. I'm at 3,000 miles. It has become a steady clicking, or pinging sound. It sounds just like other exhausts due when you turn off a car, but slightly louder, and more frequent. It's not just a cooling down sound. If I'm idling and have the window open i hear the steady, continuous sound. When I turn it off, it's steady, and loud, and gradually lessens. But sometimes even after say an hour or more, I'll hear a ping from the car. Very strange.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had been waiting mine out, but now at 1300 miles, it is just getting louder and louder. I am taking mine in soon. I was going to wait for the oil change, but it's too far away.

This takes all the fun out of driving a new car, you can't show it off when it's clanking all kinds of loud.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts