Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/rant mode on --- I haven't even signed the loan papers on my R/T and some blue-haired 77 y/o blows a stop light and takes off the lower half passenger side front facia (along with the fog light, headlight, bumper reinforcement, etc) to the tune of $1800+ damage.... Luckily, the better-half saw her coming and slammed on the brakes (she was just starting thru the intersection when the light changed green for her) and it was a glancing blow... tore up the side of the Toy Highlander and then the old lady keep going until she hit a curb a half a block away and probably damaged her right front suspension... No one was hurt, no airbags deployed, everyone had on their seatbelts... but there were no witnesses for either side (I wasn't there) so the cops didn't (couldn't) give anyone a ticket.. (AL is a no fault state to boot) so it is up the insurance companies to duke it out... I am paying my deductible to get my Caliber back as quickly as possible :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: /rant mode off---

I will be going to the body shop tomorrow and get some pics before work begins.. of course they have to order parts and no telling how long that will take.. so I will post them when I get them..

·
Registered
911 Posts
Dude...the F'in blows! Always seems like a new cars are vulnerable to crap like that. Damn..I feel for ya dude... I couldn't even imagine how I would feel.

Unfortunately, that car will never be the same and will always have a record of being in an accident.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the real pisser.. even tho, as the adjuster said, the damage was 99% cosmetic and can be fixed with a remove and replace of all parts, it will always carry the tag of an accident "victim" :( ... well, anywho, it will still be a Caliber and screw what the record shows...:p

I can get a rental car and will if this drags out... Although my 2500 gets about 17mpg in-town, diesel is rather expensive (20-25 cents a gallon higher) down here...

·
Registered
188 Posts
We are no fault here too, be sure to file a complaint with the other drivers insurance for the deductible, it's called a tort or something like that.

Sorry your car got banged up!

·
Registered
47 Posts
GypsyBill said:
That is the real pisser.. even tho, as the adjuster said, the damage was 99% cosmetic and can be fixed with a remove and replace of all parts, it will always carry the tag of an accident "victim" :( ... well, anywho, it will still be a Caliber and screw what the record shows...:p

I can get a rental car and will if this drags out... Although my 2500 gets about 17mpg in-town, diesel is rather expensive (20-25 cents a gallon higher) down here...
Be sure to contact her insurance company and ask for compensation for the "diminished value" of the vehicle. This will be on top of the repairs. Contact your dealer for an estimate of the dimished value. It should likely be around $2000 or more for a Caliber. If her insurance company plays dumb, contact your insurance company and have them help you recover this. There is plenty of information on the 'net about diminshed value claims as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
:( wow!!!! that was bad... sorry!!!!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
GypsyBill -

Like everyone else here, I feel your pain.

OK. Now that I've paid my respects, I'd like to ask that you relate your experience in replacing that bumper. The reason I ask is because I'd like to add fog lamps to my SXT and it appears to me that the bumper has to be replaced to get the fog lamp recesses. Could you pass along the cost of that bumper and any other information you may encounter that might help such an upgrade? Of course, it'll involve more than the bumber. It'll involve the cost of the lights, the wireing, and maybe a swap-out of the steering where lights controller. I don't know. Just exploring the possibility.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
i am so sorry for you ,why is it that always new cars get hit ?? i just hope we all learn from this and take extra precaution ,maby a siren on the roof so everyone moves over and can just have a look, sorry i dont meen to be rude and i know you are disapointed ,i just try to make the best out of the situation ,hope you have more luck next time ,Cheers thomas

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
donsmith said:
GypsyBill -

OK. Now that I've paid my respects, I'd like to ask that you relate your experience in replacing that bumper. The reason I ask is because I'd like to add fog lamps to my SXT and it appears to me that the bumper has to be replaced to get the fog lamp recesses. Could you pass along the cost of that bumper and any other information you may encounter that might help such an upgrade? Of course, it'll involve more than the bumber. It'll involve the cost of the lights, the wireing, and maybe a swap-out of the steering where lights controller. I don't know. Just exploring the possibility.
I'll dig up the insurance quote and get back to you on the cost of the bumper..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
donsmith said:
GypsyBill -

According the estimate I got from GEICO, the Front Bumper was $220.00 from DCX. That was unpainted of course.

The car has been fixed and back on the road for over a month now and is no worse for the accident...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
StephenM UK said:
Sorry to hear about your accident, I hope that you can get the works carried out quickly and get your Caliber back on the road.
All is well and the car was fixed and back on the road in a week.. that was over a month ago.. thanks for asking..

·
Registered
141 Posts
The first ever reported Caliber smash as far as I know and lets hope its the last on this froum too.

Anyway, Sorry to hear this bad news, however I'm glad that neither you or your wife was injured, which is more important than some body work.

Hope you get the damage sorted.

whilst on the subject, RE the photo of the damage: theres a surprising amount of pipes and things there behind the panel and whats that silver ignition coil shaped thing?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok im guessing here cuz im just looking at the pic, but the pipes should be going to the a/c condenser. And the canister that your talking about im assuming is a fuel vapor canister.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts