Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have my JL sound system from my previous car ready to be installed. The problem I'm running into is the REC nav does not have a sub out, obviously.

I purchased a High-Low converter to use, but don't want to cut my factory harness. So, I purchased a wiring kit (female end typically used to install an aftermarket HU) and now I need to get another harness (the one that comes off the car and plug's into the factory unit). I heard this is called a "reverse harness", but my family member in parts cant confirm the name, and since they don't have one in stock, I cant confirm the product is correct either. :headbang: Basically, Im building a factory harness extender to splice into.

Does anyone know a better name for the harness coming off the car? Perhaps a part number as well? The part number I got from them is 68032281AA, but don't see enough information on it using google. The harness apparently is a white 22-pin connector and is typically used to replace a damaged connector. All sounds right, but I want to make sure.

Also, some of the information I did find on google indicates there may be a problem with the EVIC. I want a fully functional setup. Hence the reason I'm summoning the CSRT experts here!

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was considering putting an aftermarket amp on my stock headunit too. I found this adapter on ebay (item number 180263976338). I've used their aftermarket adapter for my ipod and it works great. Hopefully this is what your looking for..

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was considering putting an aftermarket amp on my stock headunit too. I found this adapter on ebay (item number 180263976338). I've used their aftermarket adapter for my ipod and it works great. Hopefully this is what your looking for..
Aside from the fact that its for a Charger, it is for an amp to run front and/or rear speakers, not a sub. I'm trying to only pull the low frequency, which is what the high to low adapter does.

I consider myself knowledgeable in car audio, however, I have never set a system up this way since I have always replaced the HU's and not ran off factory radio's. That said, if I am wrong in my understand, please feel free to correct me.

jeffisevil, I don't mean to sound like an a$$, so please don't take my comment the wrong way. Thank you for responding, if I can't get the system working this way, I may have to try your suggestion.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sorry dont know about the harness...Why would you have a problem with the EVIC?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Maybe pick up an aux in harness. It is basically a pass through with added inputs, probably the easiest solutuion if you dont want to splice into any factory wiring.

This is basically what I am talking about, but you would only be using the wiring and not the box, unless of course you want to add an input, then its a home run!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I think he wants the OEM ends that those Metra ones would plug into, thats why I suggested that box I picked up, has both ends you can hack off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The 70-6522 plugs into the stock harness and is used for aftermarket HU. The 71-6502-1 is a replacement C1 plug for the stock radio in case the harness is damaged/cutoff. The box you mention has the C2 plug included though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
just tap into the speaker wires its not hard i dont see what the problem is

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The second one you linked looks like the one I picked up from the dealership at cost. Dealership part number for this is 68032281AA, incase others are intersted.
I picked the first one up at a local parts store for pennies on the dollar (cost as well). It pays to know people!

just tap into the speaker wires its not hard i dont see what the problem is
I dont want to cut ANY factory wiring as i want to be able to take it out and have it be completely transparent to the techs if my REC takes a dump.

As a conclusion, I have the parts needed, now I just need the time to install the assembled harness, high-low, amp, sub, etc.

Side note, we have 4x6's up front on the dash (for tweeters) right?

·
Registered
65 Posts
No the stock speaker is an oddball size. I believe it is close to a 2.5" opening. It should work well for tweeters but 3.5" coaxial speakers won't fit.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i just made brackets and i put infinity tweeters in. Use the cardboard pieces to use as a temp

1 - 13 of 13 Posts