Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I bought a SIRIUS Reciever for my '05 Ram before me and my wife went on a long trip last year. It may very well have been the greatest purchase I ever made. Never did realize how much harder it is to drive while busting several ribs laughing at "Raw Dog" or "Blue Collar Radio"...but that is beside the point.

The receiver I got displays the category, channel name, and title of whats playing on it...and I can search by any of those items...and the BEST part is that on NFL sundays...I can scan through the channels and see scores without waiting to hear the game for 20 minutes. (unless I want to of course)

But...all that being said...my Caliber has Sirius "out-of-the-box" you could say. And while I am not expecting the full capacity of that external unit...I don't even get a display of what channel, or category or anything...just a number...LAME!! I have a co-worker who just bought a Durango...and he has damn near the same factory head unit as mine...and his display the channel and what's on. Y not me?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Did you press the Info button on the radio? Which stereo do you have? I now have the REC Navigation unit which displays full info. It replaced the RAQ 6 CD stereo (now listed on Ebay) which also displayed channel number, channel name, who is currently playing and if on a sports channel the current scores. The dash EVIC display shows the channel name.

I'm not sure what the base single CD player shows.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i can check mine later as the wife decided to take my caliber and not hers to work... but i'm 99% sure the 1 cd, no frills radio does not show anything besides the channel, but i would love to be wrong

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've read in other posts that the 1-Disc has a limited display. From what I've read if you have the 6-Disc you get the full song/artist display.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you have the standard single disc cd player with auxiliary jack, then you do not get a display for sirius or mp3. However, ALL OEM/Mopar radios have the display for both sirius and mp3.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Akaeding said:
...But...all that being said...my Caliber has Sirius "out-of-the-box" you could say. And while I am not expecting the full capacity of that external unit...I don't even get a display of what channel, or category or anything...just a number...LAME!! I have a co-worker who just bought a Durango...and he has damn near the same factory head unit as mine...and his display the channel and what's on. Y not me?
That "number" you see should be the channel. It sounds like you have the basic "REF" model stereo in your Caliber (supported by your statement of it being a one-disc player), which does only display the channel number.

This has been explained many times before here on the discussion board. Below is a response I posted back in April that explains it in detail, along with the link to the entire discussion:

--------------------------
"According to my owners manual, the more detailed display is on the stereo with the 6-CD changer.

The basic stereo, the one with the single-CD player, only displays the station number as you heard. It doesn't display the station name, program, or anything else.

This is something to keep in mind when ordering a vehicle to your personal specifications, or buying a stock vehicle from a dealersip.

If you want anything more than just the channel displayed, you have to get more than the basic stereo.

If I'm not mistaken, you can still have the 6-CD stereo without the MusicGate system. Check to see what model stereo was ordered.

If it is the "REF" model, it is the single-disc version that only displays the Sirius station number (for example "Channel 103", etc) but nothing else.

If it is the "RAQ" model, it is the 6-CD version with other expanded capabilities (hands-free phone, etc) capabilities that DOES display more detailed information about selected the Sirius station."
-------------------------------

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7332&highlight=sirius#post7332

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've posted this elsewhere so pardon the duplication; I had Sirius added after-the-fact. Twice the money but the final installation is indistinguishable from a factory installation. Full display on my RAQ radio (the 6-CD changer model).

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought another Caliber after my wife took possession of my first one and wouldn't give it back. This one had factory Sirius but the basic REF radio. The one with the single CD player and the AUX jack. I wanted a detailed display but I would mourn the loss of the AUX jack. So, I looked on eBay and bought a 6-CD w/Cassette radio that someone had pulled from a new Charger. I paid $199.99 and the dealer charged me $45 to swap out the radios. Now, with a cassette adaptor I still have AUX input and now enjoy a two-line detailed display. The newer radio also works will with the U-Connect system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased from EBay a used MOPAR 6-disc RAQ stereo that was a pull from a 2006 Charger that I want to put in my Caliber. I am purchasing it for the sole purpose of being able to see song and channel information on my factory sirius unit. I now have the single disc REF model without the driver convenience package (EVIC). My question is, have I wasted my money for this purpose. Will this particular RAQ stereo show Sirius text information?

·
Registered
683 Posts
My Caliber came with the RAQ stereo. It showed the station and song info. I replaced it the the REC Nav stereo which also shows the same information.

·
Registered
187 Posts
bobkeown said:
...My question is, have I wasted my money for this purpose. Will this particular RAQ stereo show Sirius text information?
I did exactly the same thing; replaced my REF with a RAQ that was a pull from a new Charger. Now I enjoy full information from Sirius and U-Connect on the face of the radio. I can also use a cassette adaptor to give me an AUX audio input as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, I bought the 6-Disc CD model with expanded text that shows song and title information in satellite mode. I bought this unit on EBay to replace my single disc model in my caliber. Took the old unit out, replaced it with the 6 disc model. Everything worked fine except after 60 seconds, it would automatically switch from satellite to CD mode. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Check your connections and make sure they are all snug. That would be my first thing to check. Try putting your old deck back in and verify that the Sirius still works fine in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To update my previous delima, apparently, the stereo defaults to the CD mode when the Sirius channels are being updated. After about 5 minutes, once all channels were updated into memory, it quit switching back to CD and now the Sirius works great. I love seeing the channel name and song title. For those who want to upgrade their REF radio for an RAQ for the purposes of seeing the song title and info, it is totally worth it!! Plus I have a six disc changer to boot. I bought an RAQ pull for 130.00 on Ebay.

Shame on Dodge for putting the REF radio in there! Half the fun of satellite radio is seeing the song infomation.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is this the same type of radio that also displays information for FM broadcasts? If so is there another name or phrase for the RAQ radio. My searches don't come up with it, I also tried to cross-reference it at Crutchfield.com and a few other places with no luck.

·
Registered
187 Posts
.38, are you speaking of RDS? It's the service that some broadcasters use to send song title and such to be displayed on the head unit. Sitting here away from the car I can't recall if RDS is displayed on the FM channels, but if there's information to be displayed you'll see a TINY "INFO" alert appear on the bottom two-thirds to the right. I like my radio but my one nit I have with it is that you have to push a button to see the info provided by FM stations and satellite channels.

·
Registered
154 Posts
donsmith said:
.38, are you speaking of RDS? It's the service that some broadcasters use to send song title and such to be displayed on the head unit.
Yes, that's what I meant, I've seen it on the Chevy radios but it's a costant scroll accross the display. It's not a necessity but it would be a nice feature on the 6-disc radio , especially if I could pick one up on the cheap from ebay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The radio will display RDS as well as satellite information. Granted, you do have to push the info button to get that information, it sure as heck beats staring at "Ch. 100" or "97.3". Plus you get 6 disc capability too. Well worth the $130.00 I paid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts