Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just ordered my new Caliber R/T and I am thinking about installing the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Nav/DVD system. A nice easy install requires a double DIN size opening (4"). I know many chrysler products are 3" (1.5 DIN). Is the Caliber stereo opening 4" or 3"? I stupidly forgot to check this before leaving the dealer and was hoping any current owners could answer the question.

Thanks,

Siggy

·
Registered
57 Posts
siggycom said:
Hi All,

I just ordered my new Caliber R/T and I am thinking about installing the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Nav/DVD system. A nice easy install requires a double DIN size opening (4"). I know many chrysler products are 3" (1.5 DIN). Is the Caliber stereo opening 4" or 3"? I stupidly forgot to check this before leaving the dealer and was hoping any current owners could answer the question.

Thanks,

Siggy
Whatever size it is, what are you going to do with the extra cut-outs for the knobs when you put in an aftermarket system?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Chryslers use double DIN size. You can get stereos that fit perfectly. But most people get the HU they want with an adapter/install plate. Crutchfield sends you the plate free when you order a HU.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What about the cubby under the stereo. Is that 1 DIN? I was to permanent mount my Sirius Streamer GTR there with their Car Kit. Can somebody measure that up for me?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RobMR3 said:
Chryslers use double DIN size. You can get stereos that fit perfectly. But most people get the HU they want with an adapter/install plate. Crutchfield sends you the plate free when you order a HU.
Yeah, I get most of my stuff from Crutchfield, actually. The System I'm putting in though, is a NAV/DVD system which requires a double din opening (it has a 7" screen). Thanks for the Info.

Siggy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GregoriusM said:
Whatever size it is, what are you going to do with the extra cut-outs for the knobs when you put in an aftermarket system?
I haven't quite figured that out yet. I know they make install kits with fillers for the knob cut-outs but they look a little weak. I'm open to suggestions. I'll be sure to post picks when it gets done. I just ordered the car so it could be up to 8 weeks before I even get it.

Siggy

·
Registered
118 Posts
My opinion is that the non-nav radio dash kits lick sack and I would either get the Nav bezel and this dash kit

OR...

do it yourself like! Link

If it was me, I'd do it like this though. Looks SO much nicer than a crappy plastic ring with little half-cirlces sticking out on each side.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice job on the custom install. How long did it take from start to finish?

·
Registered
226 Posts
very nice job indeed!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I didn't do that dash panel. A guy over at LX Forums did. I think he said it took about a week. Most of it was dry time between coats, layers, sanding, hardening, etc. But yes it does look sweet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
can someone please get a tape measure and measure the height of their cd player i need to find out what kind of dvd/nav system i can get for my caliber
thanx

·
Registered
8 Posts
does any one have a tape measure and cango measure the dimensions of their caliber 3 seconds is all it should take
thanx

·
Registered
506 Posts
i really want to do that.... like really bad... i need to know how that was done... or if i can buy it done already. also that is a DOUBLE DIN reciever rite? so the double din will fit?

·
Registered
506 Posts
also just noticed this... but those pics are from different cars... look at it closely

·
Registered
901 Posts
kmktron said:
can someone please measure their stereo to see what dimensions it is and if i can put a nav system in it
Measuring one of the 3 factory stereos MAY be misleading... because there is more room for the mopar in-dash nav unit (the "REC" radio) once the console bezel is removed. Which also requires a different bezel after the install. Plus, wouldn't you need to know the depth of the compartment too, not just height and width?

You might try calling the service or parts dept at your dealership to see if they could provide you with the maximum dimensions for the available space in the console per the tech specs for the car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I installed a nav unit in my car and yes you have tons of room behind the dash. If my memry serves me right it goes back 14 behind the bezel. the nav radio is about 10-11 inches so any size of radio should work. just a word of advice, get a nav bezel and get the trim ring for that instead of the one with the little half circles. Those look like absolute shit in my opinion. If you live in the midwest, there is a place out of michigan that sells them dirt cheap. I can't find the info right now as i'm off to work but i'll update later. like $50 shipped next day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
rcompart said:
I installed a nav unit in my car and yes you have tons of room behind the dash. If my memry serves me right it goes back 14 behind the bezel. the nav radio is about 10-11 inches so any size of radio should work. just a word of advice, get a nav bezel and get the trim ring for that instead of the one with the little half circles. Those look like absolute shit in my opinion. If you live in the midwest, there is a place out of michigan that sells them dirt cheap. I can't find the info right now as i'm off to work but i'll update later. like $50 shipped next day.
How much effort is involved in removing the stock faceplate on the dash of the Caliber ? are any special tools involved ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts