Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed there factory Sub in the rear and changed it out with something else?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i have yet to see anyone replace the sub but i do wonder how it would sound turned around .. i was not impressed in the least with the ba system.. wonder if it would sound better. it's got to be easy to replace too.

·
Registered
413 Posts
boostdog said:
i have yet to see anyone replace the sub but i do wonder how it would sound turned around .. i was not impressed in the least with the ba system.. wonder if it would sound better. it's got to be easy to replace too.
You are way too hard on the B/A system.:( Does it sound better than a well put together aftermarket system......no! but you do not give it the credit it deserve's. I have had systems installed in various cars, and have heard all sorts of stock sytems. This much I can tell you........I haven't heard too many stock systems that compare to mine. Maybe the sytem you heard wasn't adjusted properly, poor fading or audio settings can reak havok on a systems sound quality. Not mad at you....just had to defend the Musicgate sytem.;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
specialguess said:
Has anyone changed there factory Sub in the rear and changed it out with something else?
As of yet there is no upgrade for the factory sub, but as in any stereo system it is not impossible to add a separate subwoofer.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
boostdog is likely just an audiophile. Not too many stock systems will please a hardcore sound fenatic. I personally am very satisfyed with mine and considered swapping some components out at one point. After getting the tweeters replaced at the dealership im totally content with it. I had some distortion with the original tweeters and during a visit to get an alignment the tech noticed and ordered some new ones up. For sound quality i wouldnt ask for anything more and for just neighborhood terrorizing bass i always have my van :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Personally I think the BA system is one of the best put together factory-option systems since another favorite vehicle of mine, and it dates back to the mid-1980s. Boston had it right, low-placed large speakers in the doors, tweeters angled at the front windshield for fill, small speakers in the rear hatch for rear fill and an adaquate subwoofer.

For too long have we been under the impression that the largest speakers need to be in the rear and they were only placed there in the past for space savings (IE GM placing 6x9s on the rear shelf).

Personally I have very little complaint on the BA system, maybe it is because I am not someone who desires everyone within a four car link radius to enjoy the music I listen to.

Perhaps an aftermarket amp(s) to drive the subwoofer or speakers?

If I am going to do anything with the BA system, it would probably be to replace the MG speakers with true BA 3" speakers, not the DCX/BA ones. Then replace the subwoofer with an Adire Audio Shiva subwoofer and add a pair of amps to drive them all. The Shiva subs can be driven effeciently off as little as 65W.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Fingernipp said:
boostdog is likely just an audiophile. Not too many stock systems will please a hardcore sound fenatic.
Most car stereo fanatics seem to want almost all bass. The louder the boom boom the happier they are. I prefer good clean tones from high to low. Can't stand the boom boom and greatly prefer very rich bass without the windows being blown out even when cranked.

Honestly I think the overkilled massive speakers inside a small car sounds downright horrible. All I can hear is massive bass in those show cars at the audio competitions. They seem to judge on decibal levels rather than quality!

·
Registered
413 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
NA i am not being hard on it at all.. I am an audiofile and i do not agree with huff.. huff you need to look up the definition of audiofile ( not trying to be a jerk)...i want it to sound good ( and be loud when I want as well). It makes no sense to me... look at what some have said about the BA system.. I love it but when I upgrade here's what I am going to do replace this replace that..yada yada yada.... the ba system is a waste of $ if you are just going to replace it with something else. I took the same 500 bucks that it would have cost me for the ba system and wisely bought all aftermarket componets... sounds 10x's better than the ba system no matter how the ba was tuned. Now I realize that most won't come accross the deals that I have on my audio equipment but I stand next to my statement..........If you are completely satisfied with the system that by all means enjoy it, but for me it did not make sense to purchase as I already had plans to rip out the stock audio from day 1.

·
Registered
413 Posts
boostdog said:
NA i am not being hard on it at all.. I am an audiofile and i do not agree with huff.. huff you need to look up the definition of audiofile ( not trying to be a jerk)...i want it to sound good ( and be loud when I want as well). It makes no sense to me... look at what some have said about the BA system.. I love it but when I upgrade here's what I am going to do replace this replace that..yada yada yada.... the ba system is a waste of $ if you are just going to replace it with something else. I took the same 500 bucks that it would have cost me for the ba system and wisely bought all aftermarket componets... sounds 10x's better than the ba system no matter how the ba was tuned. Now I realize that most won't come accross the deals that I have on my audio equipment but I stand next to my statement..........If you are completely satisfied with the system that by all means enjoy it, but for me it did not make sense to purchase as I already had plans to rip out the stock audio from day 1.
Actually fingernipp called you an audiophile, not huff:eek: . Here's a definition...An audiophile, from Latin audire "to hear" and Greek philos "loving," can be generally defined as a person dedicated to achieving high fidelity in the recording and playback of music . Also stated in another thread, part of the reason for going with the musicgate is twice the amount of stock locations to upgrade. So If I decide to upgrade my musicgate.....I'll gladly go against you in a sound competition.:D BTW if huff looked up audiofile there would be no matches in the dictionary.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I called him an audiophile without definition. Im sure hes aware that I did not mean it as an insult at all.
Huff mentioned "stereo fanatics" and not audophiles.

·
Registered
683 Posts
boostdog said:
I am an audiofile and i do not agree with huff.. huff you need to look up the definition of audiofile
Those that put $1000's into their car stereos and enter audio competitions just for show are who I am referring too. I've sat in them and listened to my favorite tunes. I love good loud music, mostly classic rock but I tell ya, these mega audio systems are just horrible. They're for show, bragging rights, etc. I feel if you have to remove seats and/or luggage space its overkill!! If the speakers or amps are lit up with neon lights its overkill and just for show. I also do not believe it takes massive amps and a huge alternator to get very good crisp clean sound.

My Durango has an upper end Alpine head unit, a small amp and I replaced the stock paper cone speakers with some decent mb quartz and jbl speakers. Perfect for me!

I haven't done much with my Caliber yet other than swap out to the Alpine REC GPS deck.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
lol i have a budget overkill system in my van now that i love. At low volume its very clear and full but once its cranked the bass overpowers everything and resonates your eyeballs. Its a novilty item really and i only crank it to show off from time to time or for enjoyment of certaint tracks. Nothing like a nice sub when listening to some 3-6 mafia.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
EXcaliber said:
Actually fingernipp called you an audiophile, not huff:eek: . Here's a definition...An audiophile, from Latin audire "to hear" and Greek philos "loving," can be generally defined as a person dedicated to achieving high fidelity in the recording and playback of music . Also stated in another thread, part of the reason for going with the musicgate is twice the amount of stock locations to upgrade. So If I decide to upgrade my musicgate.....I'll gladly go against you in a sound competition.:D BTW if huff looked up audiofile there would be no matches in the dictionary.
I know he called me an audiofile but huff made a statement that all audiofiles like bass and that's it. I was agreeing with fingernipp. ( i am not being a smart a*s please do not take it that way)

·
Registered
683 Posts
boostdog said:
I know he called me an audiofile but huff made a statement that all audiofiles like bass and that's it.
I made no such statement and I clarified it further! For me these mega stereo systems with massive speakers and amps sound horrible inside the confines of a small car yet they are all too common.

·
Registered
377 Posts
We got MusicGate just because it happened to be in the car we particularly test drove. At the time we didn't know if we were going to keep the car at the end of the lease or not, so we really didn't care what it had in it, so it wasn't "a waste of money".

Now that we have decided, at this point in time, to keep it, yes they will probably get replaced. The BA speakers in the MG system are not BA speakers, they may have been made there, but they are not BA. I had BA Pro Series 6.5s in my last vehicle, they were BRIGHT speakers, the tone from these "BA" speakers is dulled.

·
Registered
413 Posts
CoolCallie said:
The BA speakers in the MG system are not BA speakers, they may have been made there, but they are not BA. I had BA Pro Series 6.5s in my last vehicle, they were BRIGHT speakers, the tone from these "BA" speakers is dulled.
The speakers in fact are BA.....they are not coaxial speakers. that's the reason they don't sound as good as your other BA speakers. The 6x9's in the doors are just paper cones with no tweeters.:D

·
Registered
377 Posts
EXcaliber said:
The speakers in fact are BA.....they are not coaxial speakers. that's the reason they don't sound as good as your other BA speakers. The 6x9's in the doors are just paper cones with no tweeters.:D
My Pro Series (Last generation Pro Series, not current gen) were components, not coaxials.

Are the dash speakers not tweeters for the drivers in the front door, but rather the same 3.5"'s found in the liftgate?

·
Registered
413 Posts
CoolCallie said:
My Pro Series (Last generation Pro Series, not current gen) were components, not coaxials.

Are the dash speakers not tweeters for the drivers in the front door, but rather the same 3.5"'s found in the liftgate?
Well I guess you can say they are tweeters for the front speakers. My opinion is that they are more like a mid-tweeter as they play more than just highs. The front 6x9's for sure are just mid-bass speakers......so yeah the dash speakers go hand in hand with them. The dash speakers may play the same role as the liftgate speakers, but for some reason they are not he same size.:( BTW when I mentioned that the door speakers were just paper cones rather than coaxials, I was just stating the fact that there were no separate drivers specifically to handle extremely high frequencies. The liftgate speakers along with the rear door speakers, I consider full range speakers.........which neither of then have separate tweeters.;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts