Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question for you guys

does your caliber come with one? mine doesnt and i'm looking to get a small one. what is the stock location of the fire extinguisher if it comes with? where you guys recommend to put it?

cheers!
Mauricio

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Hehe that sounds very odd to me as an american. They dont include items such as fire supression equiptment in really any of the cars imported or not here.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It could come in handy for an electrical fire but personally have never carried one.

You could bolt it down in the engine compartment or put it in the little storage area on the passenger side back near the rear tail light.

·
Registered
253 Posts
let it brun get the incerinces $$$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've always had one. (got to use 2 of them)
I wouldn't put it in the engine compartment, and would be careful in the hatch area. Remember to mount it low and anchored solid. It can become a heavy projectile in case of an accident.
I haven't stocked my caliber yet, but I think mine will be under the driver's seat (I already have my tool kit there.

·
Registered
775 Posts
My Belgian spec Honda had one mounted on the floor in front of the passenger seat. It was positioned so that it didn't interfere with either the passenger's feet, or the adjustment of the seat

·
Registered
413 Posts
mraguilar said:
question for you guys

does your caliber come with one? mine doesnt and i'm looking to get a small one. what is the stock location of the fire extinguisher if it comes with? where you guys recommend to put it?

cheers!
Mauricio
Finally something I can relate to.......I'm in the fire protection business:D . One thing to consider is that you are out of the U.S., so what it Tell you may differ in your part of the world.

First you need to consider the type you want, and what classes of fire you want to put out.....here are the class ratings.

Class A......Ordinary combustibles: wood, paper, textiles (anything that leaves an ash when finished burning) (pretty much all of your interior)

Class B....... Flammable liquids or gases.......self expanatory!!!

Class C....... Electrical fire..........In this case it just tells you that the agent inside does not conduct electricity...........you need to kill the electrical source before attempting to extinguish it for it to be completely effective.

There are other classes of fire but they don't pertain to the Caliber unless there are flammable metals involved(Class D).

Here are the differnet types of fire extinguisher to consider:

ABC dry chemical (multi-purpose dry chemical)......yellow powder (messy) but puts out all main classes of fire, and is difficult to clean off surfaces because it forms a crust to block oxygen from the fire (class A) This is the most popular type because it is tri-class rated and economical ( but can be corrosive to some materials if not cleaned off quickly)...if you see a fire extinguisher, this is the one you most often see!!!!!

BC dry chemical (class B & C )(standard dry chemical & purple K)
Standard dry is basically baking soda(blue or white powder)....old kitchen standard extinguishers.

Purple K dry chemical (pinkish-purple powder) is more effective at putting out flammable liquids that both ABC and standard dry chemical. Typically found on ships and at airports (HSKR probrobly knows about PK...LOL).
Both these dry chemicals are easier to clean off then the ABC.

Other types to consider are clean Agent extinguishers (no mess at all)....typically much more expensive$$$:eek: Found around computers and other sensitive equiptment. If you don't want a mess these are the way to go!!!!!!!!!

Halon 1211.....not manufactured since 1994(chloroflourocarbon...ozone depleater) but still available......puts out fires quickly,but only gets a class A rating 9lbs and above.

Halon alternatives....still $$$$$

Halotron
Dupont FE-36....(Cleanguard)

Now to consider size. Keep in mind the smaller the extinguisher the smaller the fire it will put out. Typically people will use a 2-1/2 lb ABC in ther car (they usually come with a vehicle bracket to mount in your car) you may even be able to find at your auto parts store a smaller BC rated one(possibly chrome plated 1-1/4lb) (aprox.) these extinguishers believe it or not only have a few seconds of discharge time aprox. 5-8 seconds, and it's game time!!!! the next size up is a 5LB size which may be too big.

So, size, type, and placement of the fire extinguisher is totally up to you!
Hopefully this helps you.........sorry so long winded...LOL:eek: :D
Any other questions on this I will gladly answer.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Under the hood would be a bad place if you wanted one because that's the most likely place a fire would start.

I would say maybe secure one in the storage area in the rear r/s qtr trim if you DO NOT have the musicgate system. On second thought, the best place for all Calibers might be under the cargo floor next to the spare tire.

I'm thinking about taking out my spare tire. Why drag that extra weight around all the time and loose the cargo space when I have a cell phone to call and have a new tire brought to me if needed. :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Arn't most car fires the result of electrical problems?

If so, EXcaliber, which of the options would you recommend?

·
Registered
775 Posts
The key to putting out a fire before it gets out of hand is to put it out quickly. If you have to open the hood to get the extringusher, or open the hatch, then open the spare time compartment, you have wasted valuable time. The best place is someplace where it will be easily and quickly accessible without wasting valuable time. But, it also needs to be secure enough not to become a deadly projectile if you are in an accident.

·
Registered
33 Posts
in my rallycars (Dodge 1948 and Volvo Amazon 1961) I have a 2 kg. fire extinguisher mounted in he middle between the front and rear seats so I can reach them sitting in my seat

·
Registered
253 Posts
the odd's of you u ever uesing it on your car are vary slim. your more likely to ues it on some one else when you come up on a acadent. at witch point right next to your safty kit you dealer sent to you would be a good start. where the spare tier is not a good spot. hell i have 80kg os road salt in the back end of my car as i type this. you want it where you do not need to fight to get it out.. it is like you will never need the spare inles you have 500lb of stuff in the back of your car. it is just how it go's. so use some comon sens and happy fier fighting:eek:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Oldguy said:
Arn't most car fires the result of electrical problems?

If so, EXcaliber, which of the options would you recommend?
Any of those I described are rated to put out Class C fires. ABC dry chemical by far is the most popular, but remember in my post about it being slightly corrosive. Typically if you go to an auto parts store, and they sell an extinguisher, it will likely be the BC rated type, either standard dry chemical, or Purple K with a vehicle bracket to secure it. (make sure you get the vehicle bracket if you want to mount it). Read the label or info on the box to make sure what you are getting. BTW make sure to check the gauge that the extinguisher is completely full of pressure............they can leak sometimes. Because I have choice.............I go with the clean agent fire extinguishers. I don't want to clean up a mess after a fire:D .

·
Registered
413 Posts
Michael K. said:
The key to putting out a fire before it gets out of hand is to put it out quickly. If you have to open the hood to get the extringusher, or open the hatch, then open the spare time compartment, you have wasted valuable time. The best place is someplace where it will be easily and quickly accessible without wasting valuable time. But, it also needs to be secure enough not to become a deadly projectile if you are in an accident.
Absolutely true!!! As mentioned before, extinguishers even in the large sizes you may come in contact with(hand portable) Will at most have aprox. 25 to 30 seconds of discharge time. These are the 10-20lb versions, extinguishers in your car are typically the 1-1/4 to maybe the 5lb size(much less time). Anyone who has had live-burn hand portable fire extinguisher training knows the limitations of the extinguishers they are using. Car fires are the most difficult to put out because of all the cracks and crevices where fuel can hide out waiting to be ignited. So as Michael K said........you better get it out quickly............or it will be too late!!!! If your car is engulfed in flames, don't think the small extinguisher you have is gonna put it out............let it burn and leave it to the fire dept. to put it out. Don't put yourself at risk, car fires are extremely volatile and dangerous to be around.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Do a search online for fire extinguishers in case you are interested in buying online......I only suggest you buy a quality fire extinguisher...not a plastic throw away!!!!! You can even find them on e-bay ( the chrome and black chrome versions I spoke about) again these are the smallest you cant get, but they are pretty!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
boostdog said:
you could rice out and put it on the a pillar.
LOL....I've seen that before.......but I bet they rattle a little bit, one reason to try and tuck it away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts