Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing people post about the "crappy" Firestone tires that come stock on the Caliber. Mine came with a set of Dunlop SP50 tires. My Caliber is U.S. spec and purchased through a U.S.supplier (AAFES), why would I have Dunlops when everyone else is getting Firestones?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Did you get 15" or 17"? I think I saw Dunlops on the 15" here at my dealer but I think all of the 17" come with "crappy" Firestone tires.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I only have a moment to post anything - but even in the US, which tires are on a Caliber all depends on what MODEL it is (as they may have different size wheels/tires, etc).

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
adrienna1026 said:
I believe only the R/T has Firestone tires (mine does). SXT (and maybe SE?) have Dunlop tires.
The 15" wheels have the Dunlops. The 17" and 18"(on R/T) use the Firestone.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
HSKR said:
The 15" wheels have the Dunlops. The 17" and 18"(on R/T) use the Firestone.
Correct. I have the SXT Sport, which came with the Firestones (Affinity).

I believe even different models of Calibers with Firestones can come with one of TWO models of Firestone tires (Affinity T4 or Firehawk TM GTA03).

·
Registered
614 Posts
Harley said:
Correct. I have the SXT Sport, which came with the Firestones (Affinity).

I believe even different models of Calibers with Firestones can come with one of TWO models of Firestone tires (Affinity T4 or Firehawk TM GTA03).
Firehawks on my R/T.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Firestones on my R/T as well.. and let me tell you... they are not cheap when it comes to replace them... Ran over two nails... and it cost 160.00 for the tire alone...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
kirthew said:
I have the Firestones on my R/T as well.. and let me tell you... they are not cheap when it comes to replace them... Ran over two nails... and it cost 160.00 for the tire alone...
all se come with the dunlop tire,because we all have 15 weels

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The 15" Dunlop SP50's seem to have a way better thread pattern on them than the 17" Firestones. They have a more aggresive thread with wide water dispersement channels to stop aquaplaning. The Firestones underperform in all conditions and I took them off at the first sign of snow and replaced them with "H" rated Continental snow tires on the factory alloys. I'll try to pick up some 17 or 18" rims and "H" or "V" rated for next summer. With the thread pattern on the Dunlops you could probably do the first winter with them. Anyway, basic new car factory tires are designed with only one criteria in mind and that is to give the highest EPA MPG rating with no concern for quiet ride or handling or safety.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My SXT has 17" Firestone Affinity's. They're junk. Almost feels like I have 3 radials and 1 bias-ply. If anyone has ever driven a car with a mismatch you'll know what I mean. Feels like the back end wanders at highway speeds. I'm positive it's the tires thats causing it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Huff said:
My SXT has 17" Firestone Affinity's. They're junk. Feels like the back end wanders at highway speeds. I'm positive it's the tires thats causing it.
I agree, these Affinity's are junk, I can't want to burn these buns off and get some Michelins. I have felt the rear end wander under hard braking conditions on the freeway. Kinda creepy.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
What's creepy is when you are driving down the road with passengers and one of them adjusts in thier seat and the whole car rocks. Doesn't take much movement for the whole car to shake.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You wouldn't think that putting snow tires on a car would improve the handling of a car on dry pavement, but with the high profile of the 60 series tire moving up to higher speed rating gives the tire a stiffer sidewall. I've noticed over the years that even changing the factory "Q" rated Michelins on a Lincoln Town Car to "H" rated Michelin Pilot Alpin snows changed the handling and response dramatically.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Q rated tires on the Caliber??? impossible....a tire with a speedlimit of 100 miles is in our county forbidden on a car with a max speed of 130+mls; and I did not buy the Caliber to do only 100 m/h

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The 17" Firestones on North American Calibers are "T" rated. 118 mph-190 kph and a "H" speed rated tire is 130 mph-210 kph. I'm sure the European Calibers have Continentals. ps-amazon, can you confirm? Check http://tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp

·
Registered
33 Posts
xlimodriver said:
The 17" Firestones on North American Calibers are "T" rated. 118 mph-190 kph and a "H" speed rated tire is 130 mph-210 kph. I'm sure the European Calibers have Continentals. ps-amazon, can you confirm? Check http://tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp
yes, my SE 2.0 CRD has Continetals, H rated; I don't like Continental (noisy, no comfort) and I prefer Michelin Alpin wintertires (I use wintertires summer and winter). But the Caliber dimension, 215/60R17 is a dimension that hardly exits in Europe, so I need a 17 inch dimension that has almost the same diameter

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Look for a 235/55/17 tire. Same diamter as stock, will fit the stock rims, and should increase handling and performance as well. Lots of options on Tire Rack in that size. For some reason, I've noticed Dodge has a tendancy to use oddball sizes for it's stock tires, which make it hard for most to find affordable tirs since a lot of people don't know to look for different sizes in the same diameter. Or just don't know how to decipher tire sizes to know what would be a comparable diameter.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts