Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..and my first time to take the R/T on the interstate... so I purposely drove it a little hard on the way there.. up to 85-90 a couple of times.. just to set a baseline... ran good and I have no complaints (of course I don't :D ).. after the oil change and flash, I drove home the same way... no noticeable difference in acceleration, etc.. so I guess F29 didn't hurt anything.. around town I didn't notice the low speed hot weather pre-ignition knock either.. (and I did have it before).. so I guess they did combine the TSB into F29.. I didn't bother with getting into the "Caliber Click" with them as I plan on replacing the exhaust system with the Magnaflow setup as soon as it is released to the public (and saved myself the "normal cool down" comment from them)...3200 miles and it runs better everyday... gas milage on the last tank around town was up 24.2 from 23.1.. not much and it could have simply been a difference in fill up but at least it went up some.. still no figures on hwy milage but will have some next month as I make a 1500mile round trip...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good to hear, Bill. I'm coming up on my first dealer service visit here soon, so hopefully it will go as smoothly as yours did (without any of the horror stories I've seen elsewhere on the boards)!

Perhaps you or another reader can help me with something. When I shut my Caliber off after driving, it doesn't make any noise, which means I guess that I don't have the exhaust "ping". However, I notice that when I accelerate from a stop (especially noticeable when there is another car or some sort of barrier around that the sound can bounce off of), I hear a sound a lot like a playing card in bicycle tires... sort of a ratcheting sound as I accelerate off the line. Is this the "Caliber click" people are describing, or am I lucky enough to have some other kind of noise problem that nobody else is experiencing? I'm also guessing that F29 is not meant to fix whatever this is, correct?

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just figured I'd ask someone who knew what the difference was between the two sounds. :eek:

·
Registered
683 Posts
The Caliber Click as people refer to is the exhaust system snapping and popping after shutting the engine off or often when stopped at a light. After about mid May Calibers were built using a newer designed muffler and pipe which does not seem to have this noise issue. Many of us have had their exhaust system replaced with the newer design under warranty.

The engine pinging is when combustion in the cylinders occurs prior to the spark plug firing. It's most noticiable on many Calibers when at idle, or when starting off from a stop. The sound very much resembles a diesel engine. Others say it sounds like marbles clanging together.

The F29 recall does include an update to help the engine pinging issue. However, Chrysler has stated that it doesn't appear to solve it in all cases. Mine is one in which the pinging still exists.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NyllaTx, what Huff said... also, as I said, there was a TSB that was superceeded by F29 for vehicles built before 5/06 (I think that was the date). As Huff said this was to fix the pre-ignition pinging.. it seems to have worked for mine and hopefully will for you...

BTW.. I lived in San Antonio off and on for about 20 years (in the military and after I retired) leaving there 6.5 years ago.. we go back at least once a year to see friends...(and eat some good Tex-Mex)..

·
Registered
92 Posts
shoot i had the f29 recall done a couple weeks ago and the pinging for me got worse... i can't wait until they issue something on it so it can get replaced. my r/t doesn't make that noise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the help, all... I'm glad to know the difference between the two now (finally). :)

Bill - San Antonio is great, though right now it's hot as all getout and no rain in sight. If someone ever starts kicking the idea around of a San Antonio Cali Rally, maybe you can make it down here for some great company and Mexican food. :D

·
Registered
506 Posts
ok... made my first trip to the dealer in Wiesbaden and they were ultra receptive to me... the general manager took care of me right from the get go... they are fixing the chill zone i'm getting a new less slideyer center console a new rear spoiler... mine had a strange bump in it. new rear sprayer nozzle and they are going to address my passenger window squeeking and scratching the window... i think they are great and i'll let you know asap when they call that the parts have arrived...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good deal Mudstone, glad you got a decent dealer....I will have them look at the drippy rear spayer in a few weeks when I get some time to take it back... I am not too shot in the butt with this dealer and may go elsewhere (more of a feeling than anything else at this point). I am taking my Ram to another dealer as the dealer I bought it from left this area and I don't like the dealer that took over the location (one of those dealers that sells everything from Nissan's to GMC, that has the VERY irratatiing adds on TV).. if I like the dealer I take the truck to I may take the Caliber there also..

NyllaTx.. well if they do have a Cali Rally in SA, I will be there..

·
Registered
50 Posts
had my 1'st oil change to, I never really notice the spark knock issue. But the car seems to accelerate a little better now. Might just be me though.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ditto here. First change was last week at 3500km. I neither abused or babied it during break-in. Switched to Castrol Full Synthetic. My R/T is running great.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
i dit noticed that some of of you go early for your oil change like @3000km ,should you do this normaly ??because in the manual it says 5000km just a queston ????

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had my first oil change at 1500 miles, then again at 3000 for no other reason than to get back on the 3000 mile schedule listed in the manual for hard driving conditions. I'm now at 6000 miles and will get another oil change, and will continue at 3000 mile intervals even though I use Mobil1. As for the recall, I had it done a couple weeks ago, and I think I'm getting better gas mileage now, as well as a little more power (not much).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts