Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went into the Dealership for my first oil change, thinking.. well I need to have them do the F29 recall and I need them to look at my pinging issues....

So they do the oil change and the flashing of the system, and I get a call telling me that my car is done... they did not detect anything wrong with the pinging, just normal new car noises from a cooling exhaust... So I know that I have to debate this when I get to the shop...

I get to the shop and the debate starts... I tell them that I belong to a Forum of Caliber owners and almost half of them are experiencing the pinging issues... Could you call Dodge and find out if there is something in their databanks about the pinging?

His response: "I never believe anything I read on forums, they are a bunch of crap... and I can't call Dodge because they closed 3 hours ago."

Alright... then I will just pay for my car and hopefully the pinging will go away...

So I take my car home, and it sits in the driveway over night and then in the morning I take it out to run a few errands... I arrive at Lowes, go inside to look at blinds, come out of the parking lot, hop into the car and pull back... I notice a huge oil slick under my car... I freak out... I jump out and make sure it is oil, and then look under my caliber and sure enough... it is coming from my engine...

I go as fast as possible, not knowing if I am causing more damange to my engine or not, to the local Jiffy Lube... Luckily there is no line, so I drive right up. I jump out of the car and say, 'I had an oil change last night, and I am leaking oil badly... can you see what is wrong'

They look under the carriage and the plug was screwed in half way and was ****eyed... oil was flowing from it, and the undercarriage of my car is covered in oil...

They straighten out the bolt and proceed to put almost 2 quarts of oil into my engine... they type out an invoice, telling me what was wrong so I could show it to the dealership... and didn't charge me a dime...

So my question before I call the dealership today is: 1) How much damage was done to my engine if any... 2) Should I have them do a complete engine check-up because I only have 3100 miles on it...

Thanks for your time and sorry about the long post...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Only being 2 qts low, you probably didn't do any damage, but in the future, you should have just left it sit in the parking lot and had it towed to the dealer. The dealer would have had to foot the bill for the towing, and you would have had more of a case since it would have still been screwed up when it got to the dealer. Did the Jiffy Lube use the 5W-20 oil when they topped off the system? If not, have the dealer do another complete oil change. Also, they had to put in 2 qts, but how much oil was lost while they were trying to straighten out the bolt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HSKR said:
Only being 2 qts low, you probably didn't do any damage, but in the future, you should have just left it sit in the parking lot and had it towed to the dealer. The dealer would have had to foot the bill for the towing, and you would have had more of a case since it would have still been screwed up when it got to the dealer. Did the Jiffy Lube use the 5W-20 oil when they topped off the system? If not, have the dealer do another complete oil change. Also, they had to put in 2 qts, but how much oil was lost while they were trying to straighten out the bolt.
Dont know... They just told me that they put almost 2 qrts in... I know that they put in 5W - 20 in... Quaker State... the oil slick at Lowes was huge... It just pisses me off that they say we should go to the dealership for all the work... and then this happens.. it doesn't make me trust my dealership...

·
Registered
976 Posts
After your done gaining some satisfaction from this so called dealer the first
order of business is to find one you can trust be that another dealership
or an independent.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I understand about not trusting the dealer, which is why I suggested that you should have had it towed straight back to the dealer. Now, they might try to weasel out of the problem because they ddn't see what was actually wrong and they didn't fix it. Make sure you talk to the service manager and nobody else. Just request to talk to the manager as soon as you walk in. Don't even tell anyone else the problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only reason I drove it to Jiffy Lube is because the service dept at the dealership I bought it is closed on Saturday and Sunday... I am pretty upset about it... first new car I have ever bought... and I am sure the engine will be fine... but I have little doubts popping in my head... I am going to call during my lunch break... and try to have a calm rational talk with him...

·
Registered
154 Posts
kirthew said:
I am going to call during my lunch break... and try to have a calm rational talk with him...
I didn't know you could use dealer and rational in the same sentance....Good luck and let us know how it goes, if they give you a problem I would sure like to know what dealership it is to avoid such service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I took the car back to the dealership... they did another oil change.. something about not wanting to mix Castrol with Quaker State... they washed the undercarriage and got all the oil off...

I asked the service manager about the exhaust ping... and he explained that it was all natural due to the fact that the muffler is made of two different pieces, and when those two metal pieces touch they ping from the expanding and contracting...

I took it all with a grain of salt... he even went as far as showing me the exhaust system, and told me that it would last a long time because there is a little pin hole where water can escape... and I kinda tuned out after about 30 seconds...

They gave me a free oil change for my 6000 checkup... I dont think I will be going back... just too much of an uncertainty and I disbelieve most of what they are saying... so now I have to find another dealership to get my service done... that should be fun...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Well its true about the expanding pipes making the noise.. also about the pin hole as most mufflers have them. If you simply buy an aftermarket muffler or even luck of the draw OEM replacement you can cure the noise. I can hear mine cooling down but its very subtle.. hardly audible at all.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Dodge never issued a TSB for the exhaust pinging noise. However, around May they changed the design of the exhaust system to stop the loud noise. If your dealer calls them they can get it approved to swap out your exhaust to the new design. Some dealers will do so, others will not. My dealer said they had to wait on hold for 45 minutes before getting through. Find a dealer that will work with you.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I recently moved to ND and had my first oil change (up here). Wanting to avoid any issues I took it to the dealer. After getting there I learned that the service dept is some sort of chain attached to teh dodge dealer (Lithia or something).

When I went to pick up the vehicle, the lady said they found a small oil leak and that their mechanic had called Dodge up about it. I raised an eyebrow as if it was leaking, how come there was no oil drip marks on the pavement? Even after bringing the car home, I failed to notice any sort of signs of an oil leak. A few days later the service lady called back and said that they had called Dodge and had the part to fix the issue (some sort of gasket). I debated what to do.... since it was warrenty, it wouldn't be ripping me off, so I figured they might just be trying to rip Dodge off. I took the car in just in case (everyone was freindly there at least). Sure enough, it "took the mechanic longer than expected", and I was able to pick up the vehicle about 8 hours later. No biggie since I was at work and had a courtesy shuttle.

Still no drip marks... car seems fine, so maybe/maybe it wasn't legit. *shrug*
Aaron

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's a shame that there are so many shady mechanics and shops out there that we become immediately suspicious of the slightest thing out of the ordinary or even when a mechaninc is "too nice". I know I am guilty of it. I STILL drive nearly 60 miles out of my way to go to the same mechanic I've used forever because he has demonstrated to many, many people that he is honest and dependable. Hopefully you will have nothing but good experiences with this shop and they are looking out for their customers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts