Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First oil change

The dealer has told me that the oil doesn't need changing until the first service at 10,000 miles or whatever.

I'm sure when I last had a new car I had to change the oil at 1000 miles. I have heard this is because a new engine gets tiny bits of metal floating around in the oil when you first use it.

Maybe with modern oils or new engines it is not thought necessary to do it but I think it still seems a good idea.

What do other people think?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: First oil change

If you look in your manual there are two different schedules for mantienance. They are listed as A and B. One says to change your oil every 3,000 miles and the other every 6,000 miles. It is up in the air if you should change it at 1,000 miles due to the wear of the new engine. I guess that would be more of a personal decision. Since it does say right in the manual about service mileage I would stick with that. You many have one of the extended life synthetic oils, some of which last 10,000 miles but I wouldn't think that the factory would put that in. The manual doesn't neccessarily tell you not to use this synthetic oils but just to make sure that they are API Certified. It does say NEVER to add any additives to the engine oil. I would get another opinion.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Your dealer sounds like an idiot. I would seek far more opinions, and I believe nearly everyone on these forums will agree with me. Don't jeopardize your warranty due to an uneducated dealer, stick with the manual. At least it's straight from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
15 Posts

clockmaker said:
Your dealer sounds like an idiot. I would seek far more opinions, and I believe nearly everyone on these forums will agree with me. Don't jeopardize your warranty due to an uneducated dealer, stick with the manual. At least it's straight from the manufacturer.
Could not have said it better myself. Follow the owners manual/bible. Before my current position I work with the Ford 6.0L diesel development and they would run the units up to 7,500 miles between oil changes (which is max allowed) and the oil would come out like black water. Granted these are diesels and the oil does get a whole dirtier than gas engines. The point is that oil does and will break down and all the hype about 10,000 mile oil is B.S. Once again follow the owners manual for mileage and weight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just took my SXT in today for it's 1st oil change at 3,000 mi.. They also fixed the chill zone compartment door and adjusted the computer to stop the spark knock. The car is running great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts