Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just completed our first road trip (round trip to TX from AL - 1424 miles all total). Averaged just a little over 27mpg (running 70-75 two people with luggage for a week - had to fold the rear seats down on the return trip to make room for stuff we bought). No complaints with the car and was glad I have cruise control as it was hard to keep the speed down. Cool Zone worked to keep water cool. Picked up a few rock chips in the lower chin and rubbed the rear bumper with a suitcase that will need touchup.. All in all, not a bad vehicle for long trips (drove 12 hrs on the way out and split up the trip back into two days to accomadate a stop over in Louisiana).

It was nice to see gas prices under $2.50 for the trip. The highest was in AL at $2.44 and the lowest was in Houston at $2.11.:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
congrats on your first trip! Glad to see it accomodated nicely. I liked my roadtrip (NY to NM) but wish I had cruise.

·
Registered
371 Posts
And you didn't even stop by for a cold beer. I'm hurt.

See anything good? Any pics? Glad you had a good time.:p

Fitz

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds like a good trip!!!

Perfect timing since Gas prices are low. Kinda sad that we are excited about gas below $2.50 per gallon though!!!

Later

Mike

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:( I feel bad that I didn't at least wave to our TX contingent on the way out and while there.... I did see several Calibers in San Antonio (white SE, white SXT and a black R/T)... but I didn't seem to stop going from the time we got there until the time we left (combined a business training trip with a short vaca). Having lived for 25 years in SA I had a lot of people to catch up with in a short period of time.. (did manage to find time to get 10 dozen tamales from Delicious Tamales tho :) ).

And yes, it is a shame to be happy with gas still above $2 a gal... but they have us nicely conditioned by now..:(

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know what you mean about trying to keep the speed down! Cruise control comes in handy for that, but sometimes I just want to SPEED!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
oh god how I'm kicking myself lately for not getting cruise control.. on my last holiday a week ago we drove 2,800 km's. The muscles in my right leg were so tense from holding the pedal down that they felt bruised.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Caliber Europe said:
Cool for you, but no complaints at all? ;)
About the only complaint I have/had on the trip was a rattling noise that kicked in around 70-75.. sounded like the heat shield on the cat.. but I just turned up the volume and drowned out the rattle...

The ride was firm, but not harsh (except for stretches of road in Louisiana that kinda made us bounce around a bit), handling was great in heavy traffic in Houston dodging the idiots, power was more than adequate at speed (never had a problem getting out of the way of the idiots), carrying capacity was way more that I needed (still had room for more "stuff"). At one time we had 4 full size adults on-board and the rear seat passengers had no complaints even with my (drivers) seat all the way back and reclined. Got plenty of stares, questions and compliments when stopped for fueling.

All-in-all, the Caliber performed well on the road for us.. no, it is not a luxo-boat that floats down the road and there are much better long haul cruisers to be had, but it felt solid and performed well for the class of vehicle that it is...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts