Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately my Caliber didn't come with Fog Lamps. The dealer I got it from had ordered it previously and I only got the car as a friend of a friend favor. I notice on the window sticker it is only $80 or $85 to add them on. When I took delivery I asked if they had the parts in stock and I was told it takes a few months after introduction for accessory parts like that to come out, longer if the car is as popular as the caliber because they use most parts for new production. Does this sound right? I can only imagine that the cost aftermarket from Mopar will be exponentially higher than if ordered with the car. Can anybody recommend a comparable quality product to the OEM or should I wait untill a dealer carries them?

Without starting a new thread; I saw a mention of "rear" fog lamps in the manual. Can anyone tell me what these would be used for?

·
Registered
160 Posts
.38 said:
Unfortunately my Caliber didn't come with Fog Lamps. The dealer I got it from had ordered it previously and I only got the car as a friend of a friend favor. I notice on the window sticker it is only $80 or $85 to add them on. When I took delivery I asked if they had the parts in stock and I was told it takes a few months after introduction for accessory parts like that to come out, longer if the car is as popular as the caliber because they use most parts for new production. Does this sound right? I can only imagine that the cost aftermarket from Mopar will be exponentially higher than if ordered with the car. Can anybody recommend a comparable quality product to the OEM or should I wait untill a dealer carries them?

Without starting a new thread; I saw a mention of "rear" fog lamps in the manual. Can anyone tell me what these would be used for?
Ähhh uhmm...wouldn't it be necessary to cut the "grille like" parts in the front bumper, to get the original fog lights installed?
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me!

As for the rear fog light. Those are standard over here in Europe with every car since decades. Its nothing but a brighter bulb (like brake lights), which you can switch on when you can't see any further than 150ft, in order to make sure that the following traffic is able to see you, before they hit you from behind!

It's a pain in the ass though, that a lot of idiots use the lights @ night when it is raining. That'll drive you nuts in no time, if you are forced to drive behind such a dumb ass!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swoop said:
wouldn't it be necessary to cut the "grille like" parts in the front bumper, to get the original fog lights installed?
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me!
CRAP! :mad: Now that's stupid. I didn't even notice that it was a solid piece. Why wouldn't they just leave it open or put a removeable insert there? The black piece behind the "vent" pops off easy enough though. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know nothing about the front fascia of the caliber, but on my old car(infiniti g20) the place where the foglamps went had to be cut out in order for factory foglight install. It would end up looking totally factory once done if you could cut straight, which isn't hard as I used a knife in a saw like motion and took my time.

Is the caliber the same way? I don't know, but I would ask the dealer or the service bay if they know if the calibers without factory foglights have all the equipment onboard for an easy installation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
yeah I have the same problem with mt SXT(no fog lamps) I am going to pop off the black piece and put some in. They will be blocked a little by the grille/web part of the bumper. But not much you can do about. It will look different than factory, but hell it might even look better?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would be pretty hard, let alone expensive, to have them installed as if they were from the factory since I have a different light control on the steering wheel, but a seperate switch doesn't bother me. My biggest concern would be a cut edge showing and not being consistant with the rest of the finish. Perhaps they would include a fitting piece to cover any cuts, or the lights could install behind the "vents" if heat is not an issue. It's probably easeier to add an after-market sun roof! - not that I would.

All I would like for my Cali is fog lights, tint, and to get that stupid horn beep to stop when I lock my doors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am sure you can get the same thing a factory fog equipped vehicle has installed in your caliber, the wiring is probably already there and just needs to be plugged in. Again, I would suggest talking to the dealer if they will divulge that information, or even if the know.

My G20 was pre-wired and just required 5 minutes on each side of cutting, bolting in and the switch popped right in the factory location and worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bg77 said:
yeah I have the same problem with mt SXT(no fog lamps) I am going to pop off the black piece and put some in. They will be blocked a little by the grille/web part of the bumper. But not much you can do about. It will look different than factory, but hell it might even look better?
Let us know how it works out. I am pretty sure there are mounting brackets, or a base rather, but not sure about wiring. A solid mount is more of a headache with thes plastic bumpers than running a few quick wires anyway. I'm going to keep on my dealer until they come in so I can get a good look at them and see if it will be a hassle.

I don't think the vents will block to much light, I just worry about warping from the heat of the direct beam rather than just surrounding the light.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There was a post on this a while back. Someone had seen a caliber with black inserts surrounding the fogs, and when they got their caliber, were dissapointed to find them just moulded into the bumper. It was supposed that the black inserts were part of a "kit" with availability to be determined.. as if you follow the example of other DCX products, that seems to be how it works.

So yes, you do cut the grill/bumper (whatever you want to call it) but those parts would cover it up. Not sure how the wiring would work though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts