Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't gotten our Caliber yet, but deciding on what to do for a bike carrier. I'm looking at the roof rack with the fork mount & the hitch-mount carrier.

So the question: Is there anyone that has had experience with both a hitch-mount carrier & a roof carrier? What is your preference & why?

A complicating factor: we both have the new-style frame mountain bikes with the front & rear suspension, so the racks for the hitch that hang the bikes from the frame are out. I'd probably be looking at getting a hitch-haul with the bike attachment....if the hitch can support it. Are there any other options than this for new-style bike frames?

Thanks
J

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have hauled my dual suspension bike on a frame carrier before. Just didn't sit level. As for the hitch mount, only problem with that would be if you needed to get in the rear for anything you'd have to remove the carrier, and if there are bikes on it, just seems like a PITA.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am also looking into this. There is a crossbar you can get that attaches to the handlber post and the seat post that fits into the hitch mount carriers.

·
Registered
357 Posts
no exp. using the roof mounts but I'd choose hitch mount just for convenience's sake! esp. after a grueling mt. bike session or something where you can't barely move your body.

one caveat though! make sure the tires aren't close to the exhaust! ghahaha I didn't check one time and heard and felt a loud explosion WHAT WAS THAT!!! the bike tire blew up from the heat :p

·
Registered
414 Posts
We have a RoadGear rack that mounts on the back of the car/window area. It works well with the Caliber, but my wife jsut got a new Trek Y26 that is a full suspension that sits sort of off kilter on it. There is an attachment for it that should make it fit better.

The only down side it that you have to take the bikes off to get into the back unless you have someone to hold the door up while you get into the back. Even then it is pretty tought to keep from dumping everything onto the roof.

I will get some pictures of it on later.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mr_badda_bing said:
We have a RoadGear rack that mounts on the back of the car/window area. It works well with the Caliber, but my wife jsut got a new Trek Y26 that is a full suspension that sits sort of off kilter on it. There is an attachment for it that should make it fit better.

I will get some pictures of it on later.
If you could post pics, that would be great.

Thanks
J

·
Registered
198 Posts
This count??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts