Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the record, I hated the tall antenna on my Caliber from day 1. I found this link a few years back when looking for a solution to the same problem on my Mustang:

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/antenna1.htm

The only difference is that I used a Dremel to slightly grind the tip down so the ball fits snug...then a few taps with a hammer.

here's a pic from today.......

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
JoeDodge said:
I like the mod. Any change in reception?
Ya know...I cut 18" off my Mustang years ago when I relied on FM radio and did not notice any difference. That article is misleading regarding the reception. Now that I have Sirius in the Caliber, I don't care....I'm strictly satellite radio from now on.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The quarter wavelength of the center frequency of the FM broadcast band (98MHz) is a hair over 30 inches. If you shorten your antenna make it 15" for a eighth-wavelength, or 7.5" for a sixteenth wavelenth if you want your shortened antenna to have the best FM reception for the maximum length you'll allow. You'll likely not notice the difference in urban areas, but for me, I'd rather keep the antenna at a quarter wavelength for such events as being out on the lake and seeing inclement weather moving in. In cases like that, I don't want to be caught on the fringe of reception for a shortened antenna. KK5DON.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Man I put one of them euro antennas (6in's) on my 2001 saturn and heck even in the country I didnt notice a difference in reception.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I did the mod as well, took 10 minutes, a pair of linesmen pliers, and some elbow grease to get the ball off. Looks great, and doesn't interfere with reception at all. (i hardly use it due to iPod :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
thats funny...i also had a mustang before this..and did the same thing...

i like the euro tenna... but it kinda makes the caliber look like a one of those RC cars from radio shack... any1 thought of shaving it completely?

·
Registered
67 Posts
i went to checkers and picked up a short black euro antannea like the one above. so i get home and open it up and the thing is like flimsy rubber. and better yet, its nearly 100 degrees here today and the thing just bends right over. i can just picture it bending completely over going down the highway, no way i was putting that on. so i tried trimming down the stock one. real easy, no change in reception and i cut the thing almost in half. looks tons better. good tip.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i wasnt knocking yours bulldogger, i actually prefer the black one like yours . but the only ones ive seen are flimsy.

·
Registered
371 Posts
j85 said:
i went to checkers and picked up a short black euro antannea like the one above. so i get home and open it up and the thing is like flimsy rubber. and better yet, its nearly 100 degrees here today and the thing just bends right over. i can just picture it bending completely over going down the highway, no way i was putting that on. so i tried trimming down the stock one. real easy, no change in reception and i cut the thing almost in half. looks tons better. good tip.
I went out and bought a 13 inch Euro antenna for $3.40. It bent over so much I almost took it off. Then I went to Home Depot and got a thin metal rod, cut it down to 11 1/2 inches, wrapped it in black tape, then taped it to the back of my antenna. Doesn't bend any more and the whole thing cost less than $5. Still looks better than the stock ant. even cut down, in my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We were just talking about that ugly stock antenna tonight and have decided to go with the ebay antenna.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wish they came with the roof antenna like it shows on the owners manual...:(

·
Registered
67 Posts
anybody tried removing the antennae housing completely? how big is the hole underneath? if its minimal id try filling it and touching up the paint then re routing my own antennae somewhere else more fitting.

·
Registered
901 Posts
kdogg said:
I wish they came with the roof antenna like it shows on the owners manual...:(
That's the Sirius antenna.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts