Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 SXT with about 40K miles on it. I just recently have been having terrible front end issues. I am not completely clueless as to what was going on, but this is getting ridiculous, Dodge!

So, about 6 weeks ago, I was experiencing shaking in the steering wheel, as well as an unstable feeling in the front wheels (sounded like the antilock brakes do when they go off... machine gun style) when I slowed from high speeds on the freeway. I figured it was the rotors, and had the front pads replaced and the rotors resurfaced by my Dad.

I then felt confident that my car was fixed, but lo and behold, I found the same issue not 24 hours later, but WORSE.

Took it to the stupid dealer, got both lower control arms and outer tie rods replaced through my extended warranty.

Three weeks later, I'm having the same issue. What the hell?! Anyone else have this wretched problem? I'm not paying another hundred bucks for a whole new suspension again if I can prove that they didn't fix it right the first time. Ugh!

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
If it's a speed related vibration, get the tires/wheels balanced.

So is it still only doing it when braking?

Another question, what makes the dealer stupid?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told the wheels were balanced the last time I took it into the dealer, as well as the front end being aligned.

The dealer I go through has no regard for their customers... guess I'm just a bit salty because of all the problems I've had with them. No offense to other dealers.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
I was told the wheels were balanced the last time I took it into the dealer, as well as the front end being aligned.

The dealer I go through has no regard for their customers... guess I'm just a bit salty because of all the problems I've had with them. No offense to other dealers.
who told you that? the dealer?

As Grease said, if it's a speed related vibration, get the tires/wheels balanced.

Does it still only doing this when braking?

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts

Then why do you keep going to them?

Is it only when braking? Is it only at a certain speed when braking? Does turning the wheels change anything?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it only occurs when breaking, but when they started getting worse, I would get the sound while driving down the road, which I know is the control arm/ball joints.

As it gets worse, it also starts to shake the steering wheel and such at much slower speeds, like even from 30mph to 0. I get the same thing when I turn.

I specifically asked the dealer when I got my car back from the tie rod/control arm debacle if the tires were balanced, and the front end aligned, and they assured me that both were done. I wouldn't have left if they weren't... I know that really wears down on the front end if that's not done, or done properly for that matter.

I am stuck with this dealer because of my warranty. I explained it in a bit more detail with my other post that I'm trying to get answered.

Thanks. :D

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Youre tires being balanced or not probably wouldnt be noticed until 50MPH or so. Did your dad fix your brakes properly?

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Yes, it only occurs when breaking, but when they started getting worse, I would get the sound while driving down the road, which I know is the control arm/ball joints.

As it gets worse, it also starts to shake the steering wheel and such at much slower speeds, like even from 30mph to 0. I get the same thing when I turn.

I specifically asked the dealer when I got my car back from the tie rod/control arm debacle if the tires were balanced, and the front end aligned, and they assured me that both were done. I wouldn't have left if they weren't... I know that really wears down on the front end if that's not done, or done properly for that matter.

I am stuck with this dealer because of my warranty. I explained it in a bit more detail with my other post that I'm trying to get answered.

Thanks. :D
There is no requirement with a factory warranty or even extended warranty through Chrysler that you have to go to only one dealer. If they told you that, tell them that's illegal...because it is.

If it is a suspension issue, the car would exhibit a wobble at a given speed. Braking shouldn't affect that. Same goes for tire/wheel balancing if it is only when braking.

How did your Dad resurface the rotors? Did he actually have them on a lathe, or take a die grinder to them?

Right now it is looking like it is warped rotors, nothing else.

Reactions: UN4GTBL and erich82

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
There is no requirement with a factory warranty or even extended warranty through Chrysler that you have to go to only one dealer. If they told you that, tell them that's illegal...because it is.

If it is a suspension issue, the car would exhibit a wobble at a given speed. Braking shouldn't affect that. Same goes for tire/wheel balancing if it is only when braking.

How did your Dad resurface the rotors? Did he actually have them on a lathe, or take a die grinder to them?

Right now it is looking like it is warped rotors, nothing else.
If he answers yes to the die grinder, I officially nominate this as a thread fail of the year award :jester:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really do appreciate all of your help, but mocking me wasn't very necessary.

Yes, my Dad, who is a certified mechanic through GM, used a lathe. He did correctly do my brakes.

My extended warranty is not through Chrysler at all; the contract I signed for the warranty specifically states that I must go through the dealer in which I purchased the car.

I just drove the car today, and it's shaking much worse, and at slower speeds, even while braking on a turn, if that helps you at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, and GreaseMonkey, the rotors were resurfaced only a month ago. I don't brake crazily and havent driven through puddles with hot brakes... any reason why the rotors would warp again after such a short time?

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Oh, and GreaseMonkey, the rotors were resurfaced only a month ago. I don't brake crazily and havent driven through puddles with hot brakes... any reason why the rotors would warp again after such a short time?
do you ever come off the highway on an off-ramp and stop at a red light, and stay on the brakes?

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Short hard stops won't warp rotors. It's extended use of the brakes such as riding them for a long period of time.

It definitely sounds like warped rotors again. Your Dad may have resurfaced them too close to the discard thickness, and they warped again. I would also check and make sure the caliper pins are well greased and move freely.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
It definitely wouldn't be a surprise if the rotors are at fault...That has never happened to a DODGE before. :jester:

I wonder too if lathe turning is not accounting for some variation in the hub/bearing assembly. What do think Greasemonkey?

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just bought new rotors for my caliber i have 56k miles on my 07, and they are warped and have been for a while like around 40 to 43k miles, i just got cross drilled and slotted got a good deal on them thats why i got them, and i have had front end suspension problems supposively i have a loose tie rod? according to firestone but ive had it to 4 other places and no one has said that. but its made a noise for over a year. do your brakes squeak at all jw like when they are squeaking, had that problem also firestone put semi metalic pads on when the car calls for ceramic, and they warped my rotors never hard a problem before then and a few days later the wheel was rocking back and forth when braking

1 - 16 of 16 Posts