Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be scared that Bosch already has a replacement fuel pump module for our cars? Any known problems yet with the fuel pump or was Bosch apart of the original design team for the fuel pump module?

·
Registered
253 Posts
CoolCallie said:
Should I be scared that Bosch already has a replacement fuel pump module for our cars? Any known problems yet with the fuel pump or was Bosch apart of the original design team for the fuel pump module?
replasment every thing sarts to be made before the car is even on the lot

·
Registered
153 Posts
CoolCallie said:
Do you actually think that every car made uses completely newly designed parts? This fuel pump could be used on a plethora of cars and years. Just like the oil filter- It's used on every 4 cylinder Chrysler, nearly every GM V8, and a host of Asian V6 engines.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How long did it take Purolator to have stock replacement oil and air filters, something quite essential to just basic maintenance? Over 7 months. Normally repair parts such as fuel pumps, alternators, and starters don't appear until well after a year and a half of production. Hell there are some 2005 models of the Big Domestic Three in our system that don't have replacement fuel pumps yet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prop1 said:
Do you actually think that every car made uses completely newly designed parts? This fuel pump could be used on a plethora of cars and years. Just like the oil filter- It's used on every 4 cylinder Chrysler, nearly every GM V8, and a host of Asian V6 engines.
I've owned Fords before, I know WELL about parts bin recycling. Which brings me to my next point, the very same thought crossed my mind on my last car, a 2003 Mazda6 V6. A replacement fuel pump showed up quite early and digging through the FSM and finding the fuel pump module diagram, I understood why. They recycled the design from the Ford Contour fuel pump modules and continued it through the Ford Focus to the Mazda6. It utilized a strainer disc on the pickup, whenever the strainer got dirty, it clogged, starved the fuel pump of fuel, overheated and killed the pump, leaving a good number of people stranded, whether in Contour, Focus or Mazda6. The disc was not required and easily pried off and run without, but for 7+ years it has remained.

However the design was recycled, there were a number of different modules and pumps that were not interchangable without considerable modification.

·
Registered
153 Posts
CoolCallie said:
How long did it take Purolator to have stock replacement oil and air filters, something quite essential to just basic maintenance? Over 7 months. Normally repair parts such as fuel pumps, alternators, and starters don't appear until well after a year and a half of production. Hell there are some 2005 models of the Big Domestic Three in our system that don't have replacement fuel pumps yet.
The Mopar oil filter is made by Purolator. As an agreement Purolator coudn't market their's right away. Just like the Mopar CAI, it's a rebadged K&N. As well as the permanent filter replacement is a rebadged K&N. K&N had to wait a year before they could release their's to the market. These type of parts don't hit the market not because they don't exist, it's because of the car manufactures preventing it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Actually, I think the Mopar CAi for the Cali is the AEM unit. Same with the exhaust. I know AEM makes the header. and since the AEM intake and Mopar intakes look almost identical.

·
Registered
153 Posts
HSKR said:
Actually, I think the Mopar CAi for the Cali is the AEM unit. Same with the exhaust. I know AEM makes the header. and since the AEM intake and Mopar intakes look almost identical.
You maybe right. The point I was trying to make, though, was that Mopar doesn't make a lot of their stuff. Last last thing they want is the manufacturers of their stuff competing right from the get go.

·
Banned
252 Posts
you guys are arguing. anywho...

any word on the fuel pump itself? wouldnt mind dumping a little extra fuel in there for some power :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
now thats a funny read

1 - 11 of 11 Posts