Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most people know I do not approve of the air intake of the Caliber...So I've decided to "redesign" it...I'm not promising anything and I'm doing this just cause I feel like having a welding project. Just for schnitz and giggles...:D

Here is a 3 year old drawing of what it will be..:eek:..dont make fun of my drawing capabilities please..:D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sounds interesting. Make sure to post pics when your done!

Medic

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
well...try it and let us know the results. I personally and just going with a drop in filter and be done with it. Most oem intakes are pretty effiecient.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
boostdog said:
well...try it and let us know the results. I personally and just going with a drop in filter and be done with it. Most oem intakes are pretty effiecient.
Same here... i dont need it any louder and i definetly want every bit of low end i have.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'd like to see pictures after your finished too. I might consider doing the project myself.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
everyones been "YOUR CRAZY THAT BOX IS GOING TO GET HEAT SOAKES SOO BAD!!!" but i plan on making a mold of a matterial that wont get as heat soaked as metal or even most plastics...i have to do research on diff. materials

·
Registered
644 Posts
or have some sort of drip line off the bottom so it doesnt flood?

idea looks good though. im all for new things/idea... thats how alot of good parts start out

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Darren07RT said:
or have some sort of drip line off the bottom so it doesnt flood?

idea looks good though. im all for new things/idea... thats how alot of good parts start out
great idea man!! didn't think of that:eek:

·
Registered
321 Posts
What about putting some insolation material on it like stirophome? That might keept he heat isolated.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Do performance testing before and after, Dyno if possible but at least 0-60 times. Pictures, and audio files are appreciated as well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
**Update**

Well i finally got the box done today, i need to make the insert for the tube and new inlet...pics up when i get a camera that connects to the computer

LOL....P.S. when i was welding it was kinda windy outside and my grass is kinda dry still...and...ya, i started a small fire!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Your a fire starter hu?

FIRE, FIRE, FIRE! :D

Seriously though, looking forward to seeing those pictures and hearing about any change in gas mileage.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL...thats good stuff...Do you guys know any matterials that wont get heat soaked and can be molded??

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Your working waaaaay too hard to over engineer this thing. Take a laser pyrometer and record the temp of the intake hose and compare it to even the most elaborate CAI system. You wont get all that much of a difference in temp. They for the most part give their gain by removing restriction. That is why you see gains in high rpm power mostly. If you wanna reduce temps better try heat wrap on the exhuast manifold. Also you know heat soak occurs AFTER the engine has been shut off. When the cooling system is no longer circulating and heat is allowed to rise and build in the engine bay.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fingernipp said:
Your working waaaaay too hard to over engineer this thing.
Thats because i want it to be perfect....why exactly are you posting on this thread:confused:

Fingernipp said:
Also you know heat soak occurs AFTER the engine has been shut off. When the cooling system is no longer circulating and heat is allowed to rise and build in the engine bay.
run your car to temp, and there is circulations then feel the tube leading to the intake manifold...then rethink your comment:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Less time fighting and more time working on taking pictures guys please, thanks. :cool:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Ok drove home... grabbed intake... warm tube sure but far from hot. Definetly not hot enough to really rapidly heat the moving air it contains enough to dramatically reduce hp.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol....i think when i started this thread I made it clear that it was aimed at mpg...not hp:rolleyes:...or is it just me

i cant believe you actually would go out of your way to open the hood and grab the intake...ROFLMAO...wow

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
why not? Gotta walk around it to get in my house anyway. How do you expect this to help your fuel economy anyway? Im not saying it wont but i would like to know what your theory is on how this might possibly help.

By the way im not saying you shouldnt be doing this. Its your car do what you want and im sure plenty of people want to see the end result, including me. Im just trying to let you know that you shouldnt expect any major breakthroughs. Reguardless by removing some restriction you are bound to unleash some top end, but dont think your gonna out engineer the DCX guys. My major interest is the asthetics and just the overall fun of another project.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fingernipp said:
Reguardless by removing some restriction you are bound to unleash some top end, but dont think your gonna out engineer the DCX guys. My major interest is the asthetics and just the overall fun of another project.
Im not expecting and extra 50mpg but i do expect what a healthier intake will do for a car...im not trying to out engineer DCX, but their design is focused on meeting 'mediocar' expectations. To me, like i said, it just started with a feeling of doing a welding project and i couldn't find anything usefull for the house so i figuer i do the car. I'm really just doing this for the hell of it and to have the pride in building something with my own 2 hands. Is it over complicated than it needs to be, maybe...but thats the fun part. Ingenuity is fun and interesting to me and so are cars...so naturally. But i do believe better, however slight they might be, mpg will come out of this project. at gas prices being what they are, any little bit can help for this budget, aka college student:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts