Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: This should start a lively chat. Which is better the AWD or FWD in the R/T? What is the difference and what advantages does one have over the other??

·
Registered
46 Posts
My wife and I have the AWD. Much better come wintertime than FWD. The FWD is only rated at one mile per gallon better than the AWD. If you wanted a manual then go with the FWD, otherwise AWD is the way to go!!:)

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Personal preference:

R/T FWD MPG est. 24/27 (CVT2) and AWD est. 23/26. (CVT2) 26/31 (5-Speed)

You will, through physics, have (not sure how much) some WHP loss in the AWD version when compared to the FWD.

FWD is lighter by about 200lbs.

I am going to perfer the FWD version though...;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I prefer the AWD since I hate Torque Steer with FWD. But for power, the FWD will have less Drivetrain Loss than the AWD.

Every FWD car I have owned when you step on the gas while turning, it wants to straighten itself out.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
683 Posts
AWD = All Wheel Drive meaning all 4 wheels are driven by the engine. On dry pavement it can improve handling. On snow it can improve traction.

FWD = Front Wheel Drive meaning only the front wheels are driven by the engine. It's cheaper, less complex so possible less likely to have mechanical problems and should give slightly better mpg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts