Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done this in the other Mopars in the home....

The OEM gas-cap hanger sucks. Even with the cap hung in the clip, the cap still can bang on the rear fender. :mad:

For $1.49, or less, you can get a 6 pack or self sticking cup hangers. Take one, clean of the inside of the fuel door with rubbing alcohol, peel the backing off one, and stick one of these hangers as shown.

The door still closes, the cap no longer bangs.

:D

(chrome door is shown- will work on the OEM door)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Thats pretty kewl and cheap! It's possible the standard foam double sided tape will not last to heat and rain. Might have to get the outdoor stuff thats usually grey.

On my 2001 Dodge Ram the metal cross member on the door was formed outward much more. It was clearly designed to hang the cap there. On newer dodges the cross members clearance to the door is insufficient for such purpose. I wonder why Dodge changed this?

Hmm...I could get fancy and add a micro switch and some wiring to an LED inside that would remind me that I forgot to put the cap back on! lol

·
Registered
269 Posts
man i can't believe they don't spend $0.01 to add a lil screw or metal roundy-thing or something to hang that gas cap. I miss the days when you just set the cap on your trunk lid.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do what I did.. I removed the plastic teather altogether. it pops off the cap and does the same from the fender... This way the attendant or you HAVE to remove it. They usually place it on top of the pump while fueling up.. I do the same with my harley...

·
Registered
361 Posts
holeydonut said:
I miss the days when you just set the cap on your trunk lid.
It's nothing a good pair of scissors can't fix :D

I'm thinking about getting the locking cap. I think I'm getting paranoid in my old age ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wait..... that is a gas cap hanger???? never heard of that I always just let mine hang against the fender. :eek:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
VZGuy said:
... This way the attendant or you HAVE to remove it. They usually place it on top of the pump while fueling up.. I do the same with my harley...
The only concern is that someone will forget to replace the gas cap - an occasional occurrence with non-tethered caps. I believe the Caliber, like many newer vehicles, has an indicator system if the cap isn't returned or properly secured, though, but not sure how soon it activates.

Of course, that isn't really a concern with Harley gas caps - as they are right there in front of you on the bike. I always place my gloves on the seat, then place each of my gas caps on the respective (left or right) glove. Can't forget them no matter what that way, protects the caps and the seat, and always ensures that I put the correct gas cap on each tank.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That is a pretty cool idea. I think that I am with the whole cut the cord crowd but I do hate the damn thing laying on the paint.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
holeydonut said:
man i can't believe they don't spend $0.01 to add a lil screw or metal roundy-thing or something to hang that gas cap. I miss the days when you just set the cap on your trunk lid.
The door DOES have a hanger, its just lower hence, the cap actually hits the fender when hung there. See the bottom of the black brace? There is a hook, bottom center. That is where you hang the cap, normally.

If you leave the cap off, the tank will not pressurize and CHECK ENGINE lights may come on. If that happens, replace (tighted) cap, drive 20 miles, the system will forgive you.

As far as sticking- the van's and PTs have stuck on for 3 and 5 years so far. For the price, its easy to replace.

Cheers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the locking cap hung on the original hook touches the fender but the outer ring is a soft material.

i took a picture

1 - 11 of 11 Posts