Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone says that they are getting a little less mileage then expected. Well here is my question. The Chillzone, can you turn it off, and does it run off an electric cooler, or is it hooked up to ur a/c compressor. Not having my car yet, i cant tinker. But here is my point. If hooked up to the compressor, it means the a/c is always running, thus creating more of a load on the engine resulting in lower fuel economy. Now me personally, i can deal with a warm drink if it comes between a warm soda or an extra mpg. So im wondering if there is a way to turn off the chillzone, besides unplug ur compressor and letting it freewheel, or if you have to go into the computer settings and turn it off. Your thoughts? am i out of my mind for this little bit of load, or does it seem crazy to you to have your a/c compressor running all the time?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The ChillZone only cools when the A/C is on and you slide the panel back to open the vent from the A/C duct. Of course to keep it open you need a combination of velcro, pop rivits, sheet metal screws and chewing gum. Hopefully this glitch will be corrected by the time you get your car. By the way, my last 6 or 7 cars have had Automatic Climate Control and there was no way to turn off the A/C. With the Caliber, when the weather is around 70F or 20C you can turn the air off and just have the outside air blow in. I've missed that for years.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've had no issue's with gas milage with my se. last tank i filled up the other day I got 29.9 mpg. I think that was awsome... if I didn't sit in so much traffic, I'd probably get better milage.
now I'll have to see how the 2.4 r/t does.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have listed in few other threads several times about our mileage. We have been getting 25-26 mpg for our R/T AWD. Other people don't, don't know why.

We drive spirited and normal (80% normal), and use the A/C all the time. Our chill zone stays in whatever position we put it, can't explain. We are closing in on 10,000 miles and no headaches.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Are those that are getting 25+ is that city and with A/C on? My SXT is very repeatable at 22mpg city with A/C on. Highway is 26 A/C on. Also this is as measured at the pump. The dash EVIC display always shows about 2mpg higher than what it really is.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I was out for 200 km drive yesterday and filled the tank to first pump
auto shut off,drove city 40km/hour and expressway up to 140km/hour
on a couple of passes and had the cruise set at 110 km/h.
The car has 330 km on it and the gas milage was 8.4l/100km or
about 28 mpg/US.
I had the a/c on the whole time,I am 6'1" 230lbs & my passenger
is 6'4" 240lbs,so I would say for first time out of the chute the
Caliber did a decent job,no pings,no rattles and satisfied.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts