Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!
I want to do a mod to my vehicle, but before do this I need know how to clear the plastic piece of the gauges.
Has anyone the manual to make this?
Thanks a lot.

Example:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please, I need help.
If nobody has the manual to clear the panel of instruments, maybe someone can say me how I must to do it... or indicate me a place where I can find it.
Thank you again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
panzita said:
Please, I need help.
If nobody has the manual to clear the panel of instruments, maybe someone can say me how I must to do it... or indicate me a place where I can find it.
Thank you again.
I think you mean to "clean" the instrument panel,in that case you should just
use mild soap and water and very soft rag(microfiber) the plastic is usually prone to scratching be careful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bigtsr said:
I think you mean to "clean" the instrument panel,in that case you should just
use mild soap and water and very soft rag(microfiber) the plastic is usually prone to scratching be careful.
Thanks bigtrs, but I don't want to "clean" the instrument panel, I wish to disassemble it to chrome the plastic spheres of the gauges. Sorry if I didn't explain it well :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
panzita said:
Thanks bigtrs, but I don't want to "clean" the instrument panel, I wish to disassemble it to chrome the plastic spheres of the gauges. Sorry if I didn't explain it well :eek:
Fine business on the original message,I can't help with disassembly of
instrument cluster,possibly you could tell from parts manual but believe
service manual will be required.
Good luck-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Hi all.. You have quite a job ahead of you if you want to get those bezels off. If you feel like taking the interior of your Cali apart then make sure you take pictures as you do it. Here is how you get them off..

1. You have to remove the top cover..start by taking off the end caps (one on each side (open doors to locate)(there are five clips on each)

2. Remove steering column cover (clips only on top edge)

3. Remove shifter bezel (snaps in)

4. Remove center bezel (around radio, heater etc) (have to pull off shift knob first)

5. Remove ten upper trim panel screws, five screw attachments along forward edge under top cover, two screw attachments under each end cap, two screw attachments under center bezel, two clip attachments in the cooler bin, one scew attachment under the steering cover, one clip attachment on passenger side near outboard outlet, and two clips in the cluster bezel area. (and a partridhe in a pear tree lal la la)

6. Top should be unhooked now (and you should have a bag full of screws and a back seat full of plastic)

Now time to get at the instument cluster.

7. There are four fasteners holding the bezel cluster in. One at each corner which you will have to locate and disengage.

8.Pull instument cluster towards rear of car (slowly) to expose four electrical connections.

9. Disconnect the four electrical connections.

10. Remove cluster assembly with cluster attached.

11. Remove cluster from assembly (there are four attachments, one in each corner as you look fromn the rear).

Do your thing to mod it up

Put it back together in reverse order.

Throw out left over parts.. kidding..
Good luck.

From service manual - edited by me for easy reading and without pictures.. copyright thing you know.

How's that one for a first post !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh my God. It's more work than I thought….:eek:
Thank you a lot for your aid. I don't know if I will be able to make this mod, perhaps that is not so easy… is practically necessary to disassemble all the interior.
If I find the necessary value, I'll do the work following your indications.:D
Thank you very much again and welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
panzita said:
Oh my God. It's more work than I thought….:eek:
Thank you a lot for your aid. I don't know if I will be able to make this mod, perhaps that is not so easy… is practically necessary to disassemble all the interior.
If I find the necessary value, I'll do the work following your indications.:D
Thank you very much again and welcome.
Please check your warranty book before you do this work. In the US, the *one* thing that truly voids the entire vehicle warranty is (and I am quoting directly from the book):
"-- disconnecting, tampering with, or altering the odometer will void your warranties, unless your repairing technician follows the legal requirements for repairing or replacing odometers."
"-- attaching any device that disconnects the odometer will also void your warranties".

Logically, since the length of warranty coverage is based on the number of miles, and the number of miles is tracked by the odometer, I would assume that the Mexican warranty says something similar. So check your book before you do anything!! Think carefully before you void the entire warranty on a brand new vehicle.

And if you decide to proceed, I would not (as you said) follow the instructions summarized below -- because they were only a rewritten summary to help give you an idea of what the work takes. It would be best to buy your own copy of the service manual so that you have the complete instructions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
He is Spanish, not Mexican, and I hope he has his book, and it should say the same. I believe that he can do what he wants to in the dash, it wouldn't void the warranty as long as he isn't tampering with the odometer, just disconnecting it shouldn't reset it, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it have a ROM in it, I think ROM is the right way to say it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
ejfb said:
He is Spanish, not Mexican, and I hope he has his book, and it should say the same. I believe that he can do what he wants to in the dash, it wouldn't void the warranty as long as he isn't tampering with the odometer, just disconnecting it shouldn't reset it, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it have a ROM in it, I think ROM is the right way to say it.
(oops, sorry on the country Panzita. I didn't double check first.)

Of course modding the dash is to anyone's discretion. That is not where my word of caution was directed. My points were--

(a) If what you do to the dash includes disconnecting the odometer (implied in step 9), well, that is the sole act that voids the warranty. Be aware of this consequence before you unplug that connection.

(b) If there are legal requirements for disconnecting the odometer, learn them and follow them, if keeping your warranty active is important to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Well said Kathy. You are right in your summarization of my summary. There is obviously more to getting at that piece of plastic and there is no doubt a call for 'special' tools to be involved. The service manual (available on ebay) is a great and neccessary reference (in excess of 5500 pages) for anyone intending on dismantling a vehicle just to see 'what makes it work'. Vehicle manufacturers have a 100 years of experience building these puzzles and wish not to make it easy to do any small tasks as is the desire of our Canary Island owner. Detection of intrusion into the odometer bezel assembly can be easilly detected by the authorities who look for broken seals and misaligned reference marks.

Cheers... damn did it again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
(oops, sorry on the country Panzita. I didn't double check first.)

Of course modding the dash is to anyone's discretion. That is not where my word of caution was directed. My points were--

(a) If what you do to the dash includes disconnecting the odometer (implied in step 9), well, that is the sole act that voids the warranty. Be aware of this consequence before you unplug that connection.

(b) If there are legal requirements for disconnecting the odometer, learn them and follow them, if keeping your warranty active is important to you.
That's only the case if you are unhooking it permanantly or for long periods of time, while still driving the vehicle. Unhooking the guage cluster to do a cosmetic mod and re-installing it, without putting any miles on the car, will NOT void the warranty as long as the odometer still works after the cluster is re-installed. They statement about unhooking the odometer, means unhooking it purposely in order to deceive people into thinking there are less miles on the vehicle than there really is. Not only will that void the warranty, but it is also a federal crime called odometer fruad.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top