Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the problem with their MPG and Time Driven readings resetting on their own.
I will be driving and notice my MPG reading drop from 28.6MPG to 24. So if I switch the screen to the time driven reading it will have reset also to 0:00.
I had a 20 minute arguement with the service guy, who tried to tell me I was resetting it somehow.
OK...I am tired of getting talked down to because of being female...damn it!!!
So, I want to go back with an answer.
Anyone out there have a solution.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ya. If you were my old lady, I would go down there and have the service guy crying...

Never had that happen to our Caliber. There's only one way to reset those. You have to do them individually as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Sherdog...
Oh ya! My husband was ready to go down there...but I want to deal with it myself. I want to prove a woman does know something about cars!!!!

So...am I the only one with this problem of the gauges resetting?

·
Registered
53 Posts
i think the MPG does change on its own, ive noticed mine chaging, i assumed it changed based on the type of driving you are doing; city driving vs. highway driving gives you different MPG.

I was also wondering about the Time setting, is it supposed to be the amount of time the engine has been running? thats a strange setting to have....mine also changes from time to time, but i recall something in the manual saying it will re start it you turn the ignition on and hold, so maybe you did that by mistake, which i think i have done....

but this info is coming from another female, so maybe its not valid...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The time setting is for amount of time the ignition is in the on position, which is usually when the engine is running. Kind of a useless feature unless you want to track hours of operation on your motor, or just want to track actual driving time on trips and such. Can use it to figure out your average mph driven since resetting the time.

As for it resetting on it's own, it should definitly not do that. I have the same features on my Dakota and have never had them reset on their own. I would go back to the dealer, and if the service guy give you anymore crap, start asking to see his boss, and keep working your way up until they agree to look at it. Might be something as simple as a loose connector, to somethimg more like a bad controller.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it seems no one else is having this problem. I will have to fight it out with the service guy (and his manager)...My husbands RumbleBee and the Dakota he has now both have this feature...and I never once reset either of those, by accident. But when I mentioned that to the service guy he said those are totally different systems. I just got tired of the arguement.
Round 2 begins...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just came back from the dealer (it was in for the second time) for this problem.

Mine only resets when I start the car, and only every now and then. I had the mechanic tell me that it was supposed to behave this way, but he couldn't explain why the elapsed time didn't go to zero every time the car is started.

I have kept a log of the number of times this happens (sometimes it's up to 5 times a day, and other times it'll go days without it happening). I even left the car with the dealer for a couple of days, and they couldn't replicate the problem.

I'd be interested to know if you've had any luck in resolving this before I take it in for the 3rd time :mad:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the time elapsed should only reset when you reset it yourself, not everytime you start the car...

I have one more fill up and I will be able to manually average my mpg...on a piece of paper. Then I will return to the service guy and fight it out.

Yes, I will keep you posted when the sparks fly!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts