Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend my Caliber had some screwy problems!

I was driving my caliber, my husband in the passenger seat. We were in a new city and lost, and (typical) I had to pee. So we stop at a Wendy's. When I come back out, I start the car. We sit while he looks at the map and then I can't tell if the car is running- it's so quiet. So I go to start it (again) and, I have done this before and as usual, the battery just cuts out for a second.

So, okay the car is running. So I go to put it in reverse. But the gear shifter won't budge! I AM pushing the brake. Nothing. It's stuck. Like my foot is not on the brake. So my husband checks the brake lights- they aren't coming on!

CRAP! What are we gonna do?!

We call the dealer and I talk to my salesman, because maybe this has happened before. He suggest disconnecting the battery. Nope that didn't work. He said once this happened on a Stratus and they rocked the car back and forth and that did something with the transmission linkage. So my hubby tries that, but I accidentally forgot to let go of the brake so he pushes but the car won't budge. Oops, but at least we know know that the brakes were working. So he tries again, but that doesn't help.

Then the salesman looked in a manual, I still never found this in mine. He said there is a circular cap on the passenger side of the gear shifter. He said to pop it off. Then he said to feel for a button and hold that down. This will disengage the gear shifter. It worked!!! It slipped right into reverse! The brake lights were working!

WHEW!

Then the car was fine and it hasn't happened since.

It was so weird though. I don't see how turning the ignition when the car was already on would cause this. Neither does the salesman. But it was screwy. Oh another screy thing was that usually the radio/battery stays on for 90 seconds after you take the key out or until you open the door. Well when all this was going on- the battery was cutting out as soon as the key came out of the ignition. Weird.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this so you would be know what to do if your gear shifter ever got locked.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I didnt have that problem.....thanks for the info. The only thing that happened to mine only once was I couldn't shut the car off because the ignition was stuck. I was freaking out for a moment but just jiggled the key back and forth which felt like an eternity and it finaly turned off and I removed the key. Hopefully it wont happen again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The radio/interior power well stay on for about 40 to 90 sec after you turn off the ignition. If you open the door the power well shut off.

I figure its just incase you want to hear the last 40 to 90 sec of the radio before you leave the car or open the door.

For me it stays on til 40 sec later even when I remove the key.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you have the EVIC, you can set the time that you want the radio and window power to shut off after turning off ignition. I have mine set for 10mins because i will often need to pick somebody up or wait somewhere and i can shut off the car and not need to run the ACC.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I thank you for your problem, well, actually for the solution. I knew there must be a way to shift out of park besides using the key (with motor off), I also wondered what that cap was for. I thought I covered the manual, I guess I need a refresher course.

I wonder if the park got jammed because you parked on an incline?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xcanuk said:
I thank you for your problem, well, actually for the solution. I knew there must be a way to shift out of park besides using the key (with motor off), I also wondered what that cap was for. I thought I covered the manual, I guess I need a refresher course.

I wonder if the park got jammed because you parked on an incline?
You're welcome.

Nope, I live in Delaware and we are at sea level- no inclines here! :D

I couldn't find that in my manual either, but luckily my salesman found it in whatever manual he was looking in!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine did this about 3 times before but when I called they were like uhhh tow truck!? yeah they werent any help im so glad someone finally knows how to get it to work. cause i have been stranded for an hour starting and turning off the car trying to get it to unlock and it finally does.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new here and having the same prob. Is there a permanent fix for this? I've grown weary of holding the little plastic thingy down to shift out of park.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have that problem and using the bypass is not working and my Key is stuck in the ignition on a 2010 SXT... Any other suggestions...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stuck in park and the key is stuck in the ignition

I have a 2010 SXT with almost 90k on it and I can't get it out of park or get the key out. I tried the bypass and I still can't move either one.... Can anybody think of what else it could be....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Silver 2008 Dodge Caliber. I tried posting a reply to ask what was some cost of replacing the shifter or if this problem of the Shifter being locked falls in the category of "Bumper To Bumper Drive-Train coverage"..? I am asking if anyone knows the cost for this fix? Or is the car under a 100,000 mile warranty?
The last Post I placed was taken out for some reason!?!?

The Shifter is a cheap build of hard plastic and the Small Electrical Motor inside that lets you shift gears is what burns out. It works like the Starter when it comes out and turns the motor but about 2x3 inches. Just wasnt built to last a long time. Good Luck in finding a place.. Hoping you dont have to go to a dealer and get stuck with a huge bill!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found a site online and paid $75. for the shifter. There is a small engine looking things that burns out. Anyway, we paid $160. to replace the old one with a new one. And if you go to a Dealer.. it will cost you close to $450 for the work Plus the Part. This is as they say your deal if you dont have a Warranty or really need to trade it in so they can make money off your car and make you buy a newer car. I know it sucks but try and check online and before that you can always get a local mechanic shop to do the job cheaply like I did. Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Caliber 2008 did this to me and we found on the passengers side there is a round disk that you pop out and put your finger in there and move the leaver with your finger and it will go into gear then. I got a new part at the dealership for like 20.00 and need to put it in myself and I found a YouTube video of how to do this I am going to try and fix this myself and see if I can do it. By the way it is just PLASTIC really Dodge plastic parts?

·
Premium Member
29,879 Posts
My Caliber 2008 did this to me and we found on the passengers side there is a round disk that you pop out and put your finger in there and move the leaver with your finger and it will go into gear then. I got a new part at the dealership for like 20.00 and need to put it in myself and I found a YouTube video of how to do this I am going to try and fix this myself and see if I can do it. By the way it is just PLASTIC really Dodge plastic parts?

Welcome to Mercedes-era Chrysler products. If they could save half a penny by using an inferior part, they did so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Order a "Shifter" from online.. otherwise it will cost you a pretty Penny at the dealer. But you can take the car to a local Mechanic that is trustworthy and he will have it done in 1 day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is the small electrical part in the shifter that acts like the starter for the engine. It is quite small and hard to replace in the shifter.. so best bet is to buy a new shifter and it will fix your problem. Take it to place other mechanics place rather than the dealer for a way way better price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So this weekend my Caliber had some screwy problems!

I was driving my caliber, my husband in the passenger seat. We were in a new city and lost, and (typical) I had to pee. So we stop at a Wendy's. When I come back out, I start the car. We sit while he looks at the map and then I can't tell if the car is running- it's so quiet. So I go to start it (again) and, I have done this before and as usual, the battery just cuts out for a second.

So, okay the car is running. So I go to put it in reverse. But the gear shifter won't budge! I AM pushing the brake. Nothing. It's stuck. Like my foot is not on the brake. So my husband checks the brake lights- they aren't coming on!

CRAP! What are we gonna do?!

We call the dealer and I talk to my salesman, because maybe this has happened before. He suggest disconnecting the battery. Nope that didn't work. He said once this happened on a Stratus and they rocked the car back and forth and that did something with the transmission linkage. So my hubby tries that, but I accidentally forgot to let go of the brake so he pushes but the car won't budge. Oops, but at least we know know that the brakes were working. So he tries again, but that doesn't help.

Then the salesman looked in a manual, I still never found this in mine. He said there is a circular cap on the passenger side of the gear shifter. He said to pop it off. Then he said to feel for a button and hold that down. This will disengage the gear shifter. It worked!!! It slipped right into reverse! The brake lights were working!

WHEW!

Then the car was fine and it hasn't happened since.

It was so weird though. I don't see how turning the ignition when the car was already on would cause this. Neither does the salesman. But it was screwy. Oh another screy thing was that usually the radio/battery stays on for 90 seconds after you take the key out or until you open the door. Well when all this was going on- the battery was cutting out as soon as the key came out of the ignition. Weird.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this so you would be know what to do if your gear shifter ever got locked.
Wow thanks it workked still some minor issues that are under lying all my gear lights still go back to being on when i park

1 - 19 of 19 Posts