Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I translated something for you. It's an article of a german car magazine (AutoBild - popular) about the Caliber against the VW Golf TDI. So you can see what german press wrotes about the Caliber - and I can improve my english skills :D...

Original: autobild.de/test/neuwagen/artikel.php?artikel_id=11755

Translation:

Comparsion Dodgle Caliber - VW Golf

A new Golf-Size?

In the USA, everything is a bit larger. The Golf as well. At least, when it's called Caliber and build by Chrysler.

By Lars Zühlke

Empire State Building, Golden Gate Bridge or the Wal-Mart-parking lot - everything is big in the USA. So it's not suprising that the new compact car from overseas, the Dodge Caliber, exceeds the usual dimensions known here. With a length of 4,42 meter, width of 1,80 meter and a height of 1,54 meter it overtops the opponent VW Golf (4,20/1,76/1,49 m) - clearly. Furthermore the price is much lower. Volkswagen demands for the Golf 2.0 TDI (140 hp) at least 21.250 Euro, you can get the Caliber with an equal engine (2.0 CRD, 140hp) starting from 17.590 Euro.

The unit-injector engine from Volkswagen has unfortunately no diesel particulate filter included (698 Euro, additional charge), but delivers nearly the same performance although the Dodge is 125 KG heavier. The Golf accelerates from 0 to 100 Km/h in 9.5 seconds and reaches a maximum speed of 205 Km/h, the Caliber 10.6 seconds and 196 Km/h maximum speed. The radiator grill in pick-up-size offers the wind a massive front.

In contrast to the XXL-format of the Dodge, the interior is small. The bold dashboard as well as the broad door-panel rob a lot of room. Although the Golf is smaller, passengers in the front have much more room. In the back, the Caliber has more legroom, but the flat seating position is inconvenient for people with long legs. Furthermore the plastic cover of the folding seats pushes annoying into the kidney.

Apropos plastic: While the upper half of the dashboard is made of foamed plastic in the Golf, the caliber uses hard plastics in the whole interior. The inproper gaps between the different parts as well as the unremoved burs are annoying as well. Only one advantage of this light gray plastic: It's easy to keep it clean as well as the part-leatherd-seats (contained in the luxury package, 2025 € additional charge). At first sight convenient, the seating turns out as too soft and not contoured enough. On long trips, there will be no fun, in fast driven curves, the driver slips anchorless.

Much better in the Golf, the well formed seating deliver more quality by driving longer. Generally you should ride the caliber a bit more unhurried. The improper steering as well as the weak damper and hard springs let the Caliber roll. The ESP, which is included with the diesel, has a lot to do when you dodge but does a good work. Completely absurd, Dodge offers ESP only for the Diesel, in the other engines there's not even a possibility to order it.

This chapter is won by the Golf as well. ESP is standard equipment in every Golf. With the proper steering of the Volkswagen you can drive every track easily and without problems. This car, equipped with this complex rear axle, proves to be a class of its own. So, no question about it: The golf is clearly the better car, the Dodge Caliber is too american.

Conclusion of Auto Bild Editor Lars Zühlke: No question, the Dodge Caliber is an eye-catcher. But the Dodge has a lot of shortcomings. The dissonant chassis frame as well as the improper steering can get you no fun at all, the quality of the workmanship is disappointing. The brakes are another problem. So everything like any other american car. Dodge missed a chance.

So that is written by the german press. Now..talk about it...

And please - overlook my englisch skills. :D

Regards

Martin
Germany
Munich

·
Registered
160 Posts
MightyMartin said:
Hello,

I translated something for you. It's an article of a german car magazine (AutoBild - popular) about the Caliber against the VW Golf TDI. So you can see what german press wrotes about the Caliber - and I can improve my english skills :D...

Original: autobild.de/test/neuwagen/artikel.php?artikel_id=11755

Regards

Martin
Germany
Munich
What he did not remember to tell you (and neither did the Auto-Bild) was, that subject Golf did cost approx 6.200$ more than the Caliber in this particular comparison ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any topic about this...?

automotorundsport.de/test_technik/einzeltests/dodge_caliber_klein_caliber.117446.htm

But same problems as in the autobild...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Swoop said:
Hi Jatael, I was wondering anyway that a guy from Finland ist reading german press releases :confused:
It just came across when I was browsing the net ;) Jesus, we both ordered our cars at the same day and yours is black also...

·
Registered
160 Posts
jatael said:
It just came across when I was browsing the net ;) Jesus, we both ordered our cars at the same day and yours is black also...
Thats why I have "stolen" your signature ;)

But we've had that issue before - don't you remember our little "Caliber race"?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Swoop said:
Thats why I have "stolen" your signature ;)

But we've had that issue before - don't you remember our little "Caliber race"?
Yep, I remember it but I didn't remember that we had a same ordering day :eek: Have you heard anything from your dealer? Mine said that I was lucky because if I would order SXT now it woud take till next spring!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
MightyMartin said:
...It's an article of a german car magazine (AutoBild - popular) about the Caliber against the VW Golf TDI. So you can see what german press wrotes about the Caliber...
Yeah I saw that article a few days ago (AutoWeek.com thread: Caliber vs. Golf) and many things they say are crap! The Caliber is about the same size as the Golf for-crying-out-loud.
Caliber: LWH: 173.8 x 68.8 x 60.4 (inches)
Wabbit: LWH: 165.8 x 69.3 x 58.2 (inches)
And the photos they used are deceptive. They make the Caliber look as big as a truck and the Golf small like the Original Golf mk1.

·
Banned
400 Posts
One thing is TRUE in the article, THE STEERING SUCKS! I have ROAD HUGGING TIRES, and going around curves is a BITCH with the Caliber! Damn car hops/rolls if it hits a bumps while going around curves on the highway! My VW Golf GTI NEVER DID THIS! I've owned 4 VW's, 1 1984 Rabbit GTI (loved that car), and 2 Golf GTI's, and 1 VW PASSAT! I'm PATIENTLY waiting for a REAL suspension!:mad:

·
Registered
160 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
One thing is TRUE in the article, THE STEERING SUCKS! I have ROAD HUGGING TIRES, and going around curves is a BITCH with the Caliber! Damn car hops/rolls if it hits a bumps while going around curves on the highway! My VW Golf GTI NEVER DID THIS! I've owned 4 VW's, 1 1984 Rabbit GTI (loved that car), and 2 Golf GTI's, and 1 VW PASSAT! I'm PATIENTLY waiting for a REAL suspension!:mad:
Not to forget, that the GTI always has been the "SRT" Golf with a "matching" suspension, so there is no way, you can compare the none SRT Caliber to the Golf GTI!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh dear, I´ve just read the Caliber review in one of the better, but imho still biased german car mags "Auto-Motor & Sport". It only received 2 out of 5 stars, which is really astonishingly bad.
All german Caliber owners should read my attachment...if you are brave enough. ;)

They complain about the fading brakes, suspension & handling, etc.
They praise its distinctive look and the price.

I still haven´t made up my mind yet if I buy a Caliber or not. The only dealers who have the car I want are more expensive & also 300-400km away and my local dealer is not very supportive (that arrogant little ****). :mad:

I mean the test drive was okay, but this review in particular has put a little damper on my enthusiasm.
So I´m going to spend the next hour with reading here in the forum about the positive experiences of you fine people with your Calibers. Hope it helps...:)

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi DeMarco!

Found some pro-Caliber arguments meanwhile?
If not, try and read the Caliber Test over here: http://tinyurl.com/lc4p7

Seems to be a lot less biased than those AMS, Auto-Bild or freenet.de articles :rolleyes:

Those guys did even reflecting certain facts, such as influence of engine weight on suspension/steering and things like that.

Go, give it a try!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I feel like I've read so many reviews about the Caliber, both good, and bad. I guess it comes down to this: Test drive it. If you like it, buy it. If you don't, then pick something else! LOL!:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Great Mongo said:
I feel like I've read so many reviews about the Caliber, both good, and bad. I guess it comes down to this: Test drive it. If you like it, buy it. If you don't, then pick something else! LOL!:D
You my friend, are right on the money!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Swoop said:
Hi DeMarco!

Found some pro-Caliber arguments meanwhile?
If not, try and read the Caliber Test over here: http://tinyurl.com/lc4p7

Seems to be a lot less biased than those AMS, Auto-Bild or freenet.de articles :rolleyes:

Those guys did even reflecting certain facts, such as influence of engine weight on suspension/steering and things like that.

Go, give it a try!
Swoop, could you do a little translation? At least give us the main points of that review. Thanks!

·
Registered
357 Posts
DeMarco said:
They complain about the fading brakes, suspension & handling, etc.
They praise its distinctive look and the price.

Cheers
it's no backroads burner that's for sure but not intended as such. the chassis limits are quite easy to bring out even on slow speeds - I was surprised to feel the ABS pulsing so early on a bumpy downhill turn which upset the suspension and tires so easily.

but it is cool for now to ride over speedbumps like they weren't there :p think "jello".

·
Registered
911 Posts
I find it quite amusing how all the car magazines say the car is crap, yet Dodge can't even make them fast enough and are continuously falling behind in orders. Hmmm...maybe the "expert" car people may want to quit being so anal about everything and actually TRY to see the idea of the car and try not to compare it to something that doesn't compare to it. Also, quite whining about the damn performance of the car! Its not a race car for christs sakes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
And I find it quite amusing that none of the (euro) reviews I read says negative things about the performance of the Diesel Caliber. :) I can´t say it often enough, that I was very satisfied with the diesel performance in comparison to other cars which I test drove on the same day.

But I am no car expert or mechanic, I just want to drive it, have fun and not much trouble, so I need to be "anal" and rely on other opinions and reviews before I make my final decision & spend my hard earned cash.

Speaking of cash: The Caliber I want costs about €22500 ($27.000) here in Germany, so of course I am looking for alternatives which at least are available, because I need a new car this year.

I also think that there are far more alternatives here on the other side of the pond especially in that price/engine category, that´s why I have this struggle between my heart (Caliber SXT sport/diesel) & head (7 months old Mercedes Benz B-Class 180 CDI fully loaded), hopefully I will make the right decision and you guys can influence me a little bit. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts