Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read with interest the chronicle presented by 12am recently. Reminds me that winter can sneak up on us no matter where we are or plan to travel. My SXT has 17 X 6 1/2 inch rims and the same M&S touring tires as 12am has and as we all know that size of tire (and the 18,19 & 20 inch as well) are not the easist to locate from local retailers. Seems most favour the 16 inch as the largest stock tire. I plan to install winter treads by end of October. Yes they are a must here on the north east coast..snow, freezing rain, rain and more freekin snow and then more snow after that. (Once had 125 cms (45 in +/-)fall in on us over 30 hour period..can't venture out in that anyway..) I would like to put 16 inch winter rims on the rig and I am curious what those of you who have an SXT or SE with 16 inch rims on them have installed for tire size. The P215/60R17 overall tire diameter approaches 27 inches and I would like to keep this diameter if possible. Perhaps a P195/65R16 or thereabouts will be about the same.
What do you folks suggest? I will not run All Season tires in our winters..not a prudent idea at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
You can try this site to play with tire sizes -> http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

I've opted to go 15" for my SXT. I will be running 205/75R15 Nordic Wintertrac tires (Got them on sale at Canadian Tire). I'm just trying to find a cheap aftermarket 15" rim. Might have to buy SE rims from the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great stuff, thanks. I have in the past bought my rims from Costco. 15 " rims are $40 and $10 for each inch after that. Seems 205/75R-15 might be the way to go for this winter which may be nasty. (if you believe in excessive squirrell activity as a sign (they been collecting food for two months now and driving the dog nuts (PTP)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
I just bought some Goodyear Assurance Tripletred for my Caliber. They're rated VERY good for all driving conditions. My dad has some on his Sebring and they worked very well here in the Northeast. We even live on a hill with a dirt road and he got very got traction with them, even in slippery conditions.

A couple of days ago we got a toad strangler here in NY and they're excellent in the rain. We'll see in a couple of months how well they perform for my Caliber in wintery conditions. You can get the Goodyear Assurance tires in the standard Caliber size if you have 17" wheels. 215/60/17. They're about $130/tire I believe.

I had a set of Blizzaks on my Neon and they're excellent winter tires! Amazing traction in any wintery condition.

Lets not forget to wax the hell out of your paint and wheels before winter gets here as well. I always like to get at least 2 to 4 coats of wax on my vehicles and wheels before the snow flies. I'll say the the Turtlewax ICE synthetic wax works excellent for the Caliber with all of the black plastic around the outside. Very happy with it and would definitely buy this product again when it runs out. Also, it doesn't take very long to put it on and take it off either.

It'll be interesting to see how well the Caliber does in the winter with the CVT and in general. Hasn't been a lot of driving miles in slipper conditions with non AWD Calibers it seems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I'm just gonna ride out the winter on the tires I have.. after my ordeal a few days ago I have a good sense on how the car is going to behave this winter, plus I don't have any extra money to drop on a good set of winter tires :(.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
I feel like I'm re-posting, but I'm still searching for confirmation that 15" will fit on a R/T (even a SXT for that matter) I believe both has larger discs than the SE (although R/T has rear disc as well vs drums))
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
I just bought some Goodyear Assurance Tripletred for my Caliber. They're rated VERY good for all driving conditions. My dad has some on his Sebring and they worked very well here in the Northeast. We even live on a hill with a dirt road and he got very got traction with them, even in slippery conditions.

A couple of days ago we got a toad strangler here in NY and they're excellent in the rain. We'll see in a couple of months how well they perform for my Caliber in wintery conditions. You can get the Goodyear Assurance tires in the standard Caliber size if you have 17" wheels. 215/60/17. They're about $130/tire I believe.

I had a set of Blizzaks on my Neon and they're excellent winter tires! Amazing traction in any wintery condition.

Lets not forget to wax the hell out of your paint and wheels before winter gets here as well. I always like to get at least 2 to 4 coats of wax on my vehicles and wheels before the snow flies. I'll say the the Turtlewax ICE synthetic wax works excellent for the Caliber with all of the black plastic around the outside. Very happy with it and would definitely buy this product again when it runs out. Also, it doesn't take very long to put it on and take it off either.

It'll be interesting to see how well the Caliber does in the winter with the CVT and in general. Hasn't been a lot of driving miles in slipper conditions with non AWD Calibers it seems.
As long as you are driving within city conditions the Goodyears should do the job very well. They're not a true winter tire but they come very close, no other all-season comes close.

I would definately reccomend them as well (I have them on my Neon). I still have dedicated Winter tires from when i had the stock tires but now with the Assurance I can delay changing over until the snow really starts (might as well still use them). No more white knuckle driving with the first couple snows :D

I would think CVT might have a bit of an advantage in the snow, there's no gear shifts so it makes acceleration more smooth and controlled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Hi All,
I ordered my Cali. back in July......still waiting:( Just joined this forum, found some very interesting and helpful information already.
My question, I ordered the car with ESP, what opinion does anyone have on still needing snow tires for winter driving?
We live in Upstate New York and our current car is a 1997 with Traction Control and ABS,and currently run all season tires.
Has anybody else ordered the ESP option and taken delivery of the car yet?

Thanks for your thoughts :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
tkyoshi said:
As long as you are driving within city conditions the Goodyears should do the job very well. They're not a true winter tire but they come very close, no other all-season comes close.

I would definately reccomend them as well (I have them on my Neon). I still have dedicated Winter tires from when i had the stock tires but now with the Assurance I can delay changing over until the snow really starts (might as well still use them). No more white knuckle driving with the first couple snows :D

I would think CVT might have a bit of an advantage in the snow, there's no gear shifts so it makes acceleration more smooth and controlled.
The BFG G-Force KDWS tires are also excellent in the snow. Had them on my modified Dakota R/T(approximatly 230RWHP and 320ft/lbs of torque) and had no problems driving on snow covered ice and only spun the tires when I wanted to checking traction. But beyond the tires, driver ability is the biggest factor in winter driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
I have never had a car that I have used winter tires on, I always keep the all season ones on. I figure that is what all season means.

and before anyone says we dont have winter here, remember, I am at 6035 feet above sea level in Idaho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
mr_badda_bing said:
I have never had a car that I have used winter tires on, I always keep the all season ones on. I figure that is what all season means.

and before anyone says we dont have winter here, remember, I am at 6035 feet above sea level in Idaho.
I'm just going to keep the Firestone's on mine for the winter, and don't tell me we don't have winter down here either! Just recently I had to drive through some ice and snow. It seems that some stupid kids had thrown some snow cones into the street and I had to drive right through it!:eek: Thank God for those Firestones, they just might have saved my life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
mr_badda_bing said:
I have never had a car that I have used winter tires on, I always keep the all season ones on. I figure that is what all season means.

and before anyone says we dont have winter here, remember, I am at 6035 feet above sea level in Idaho.
Good snow tires don't just keep you from getting stuck. They also provide a real difference in steering response and braking. All season tires may get you where you want to go. But if any drama happens, good snows "will" make a difference. Really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
I've never put a set of "snows" on any of mine or my wifes cars over the years. Accident & incident free so far, knock on wood. Closest thing being mud-terrain BFG's on my Ram. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
xcanuk said:
I feel like I'm re-posting, but I'm still searching for confirmation that 15" will fit on a R/T (even a SXT for that matter) I believe both has larger discs than the SE (although R/T has rear disc as well vs drums))
I don't want to cross post so I'm just gonna post the link
to what I posted over in the other thread:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2231

Hope that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
I have been checking and looking around for rims and tires for
our Caliber R/T AWD. Our main reason for swapping out the factory setup
is we don't want to damage the factory rims. The salt just eats
up the clear coat on the rims. I would rather just put some plain jane
rims on for the winter. My father bought a new Toyota RAV 4 in 2004
and swapped out the factory steel rims for some aluminum wheels.
The factory rims have been sitting boxed up in the shed for years
now. Just on a lark I pulled them out and tried them on the Caliber
and they fit. The rims are 16 incher. They clear the brake calipers
front and back. Looks like I found some free winter rims. The center
hub clearance is a tight fit but a little elbow grease will get them to work.
I have decide to go with P215-65-16 tires. They offer the same height
as the stock tire and rim setup as not to throw the speedo out.

Wilson
Ontario Canada
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Thanks Tigerr, that is the confirmation I was looking for. I'll just wait to see what my dealer has to offer as packages in 15" (I'm getting a slight discount with them already)

Word of advice, watch the hub clearence, you not only have to get them on, but you have to get them off too. Had to help a neighbour change a flat, the rim seized on the hub (calcium) I persuaded it with a 2x4 and a good sized hammer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just picked up model X42554 steel rims from Costco. They are 15 inch and fit the SXT very well with plenty of disc and drum clearance. Michelin X Ice are next ( on sale Oct 2) and then look out snowbanks..The mini Magnum is coming through. Would like to install new TPM sensors in the steelies..anyone have any idea how much these critters go for from DCX? No sensors in tires means several months of annoying messages on the dash saying there is a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Near as i have seen...TPM's run about 70bucks apiece...but that is only what i have read here on the forums...if i can find exactly where...i'll post it.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top