Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man let me tell ya, I love my caliber to death but the constant clicking/popping from the exhaust system is driving me batty. If the temps are from 1/4 to 1/2 on the temp gauge the damn thing clicks/pops every 2 seconds (yes I even timed the damn thing). I don't know why but it's really bothering me alot, I mean how cool is it when you drive up and all anyone can hear is click... click.... click... makes it sound like your car is a cheap piece and about to explode. Is this something dodge or myself can remedy with aftermarket parts? I sure hope so :(.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Gotta be honest with ya... it must be your particular vehicle because I have yet to hear mine make any expansion/contraction popping noises.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
12am said:
Man let me tell ya, I love my caliber to death but the constant clicking/popping from the exhaust system is driving me batty. If the temps are from 1/4 to 1/2 on the temp gauge the damn thing clicks/pops every 2 seconds (yes I even timed the damn thing). I don't know why but it's really bothering me alot, I mean how cool is it when you drive up and all anyone can hear is click... click.... click... makes it sound like your car is a cheap piece and about to explode. Is this something dodge or myself can remedy with aftermarket parts? I sure hope so :(.
I have the same noise, you can notice it once it heats up and especially at drive thru fast food, or after you park the car ,it pops and clicks for 10 plus minutes. I hope its just something that goes away with time, but if not I will be taking to Dodge for them to remedy. Flaps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
OUWxGuesser said:
Gotta be honest with ya... it must be your particular vehicle because I have yet to hear mine make any expansion/contraction popping noises.
You own a Caliber, right?

I'm not liking the noise either. I've never owned a car that made so much cooling-off noise. If it's not anything that is going to be a maintenance problem down the road then I would care less. But I tend to think that all that noise has to mean something is not at it's best.

At worst (and I'm not mechanic or auto expert on the matter) I would think that the welds on the exhaust, muffler or headers would break. That's all. But I don't like the thought of my muffler falling off onto the freeway and killing the driver of the car behind me. :eek:

At best it's just some odd noise that lets us know that someone hasn't stole our car the moment we walked in the house.

I hope that Mopar upgrade eliminates the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Hey everybody! I responded a while back that ours was clicking as well and quite noticeably.

It went away.

I forgot all about even posting that I had the clicking. We now have several thousand miles on it and it makes a few little clicks when cooling, thats it.

It hopefully will subside in your vehicles soon. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
OrangeRT said:
Hey everybody! I responded a while back that ours was clicking as well and quite noticeably.

It went away.

I forgot all about even posting that I had the clicking. We now have several thousand miles on it and it makes a few little clicks when cooling, thats it.

It hopefully will subside in your vehicles soon. Good luck!
I should point out that that this is the newest vehicle I've ever owned (drove it off the Dodge lot with 11 miles on it:cool: ). The other two brand new cars that I've owned already had a couple hundred miles on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mind me asking how many miles you have on it Orange? so I have a rough idea as to when it should subside?. On a side note when I got home today I slid under the car and held my hand on the muffler and could not feel any vibrations when the clicking occured, also the muffler wasn't really all that hot (could hold hand there for 10 secs without it burning). That makes me wonder if it is some kind of electric catalytic converter that clicks like that to eliminate particles coming out of your exhaust. (like my furnace air filter does with dust). Also noticed what looked like an electrical connection hooked up to the converter. I'll be sure to ask dodge about it when I go in for my first oil change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
1700 kms. on my SXT SPORT and haven't heard any noise from the exaust cooling off. Car was built mid april, no chrome on grill. It has a metal mesh type of stuff a few inches above the muffler. Heat shield??? I can't find any early models to compare. Could this have been added to get rid of the "ticking and clicking" noise????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
who knows... I would be interested in knowing the build dates for the people having the problem and the people not having the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
12am said:
who knows... I would be interested in knowing the build dates for the people having the problem and the people not having the problem.
I don't know the build date of my Caliber but the asymbly line sequence is 3509
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
OUWxGuesser said:
How do you find out assembly sequence?
Last 4 digits of the VIN.

Just learned that the build date is on the info lable on the edge of the drivers door. For instacne mine says 3-06. But there is also a MDH number that I think has something to do with the date of manufacture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
That poppy noise is quite annoying... I have 2400 miles on mine and it still does it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
I just crossed a thousand miles and still having the exhaust (assumed) ticking noise. It wasn't so noticeable at first, but after about 200 miles, I began to hear that ticker get louder. I think that it's less loud now...or maybe I'm beginning to get used to hearing it when I get out of the car. Unfortunately, I don't linger, so I don't know how long it lasts.

R/T 2.4L
Build Date: ?
Assembly Sequence #: 4428 (seems like an odd place to find this number. Why 4-digits? Why not the last 5-digits, or 6-digits?)



Tyke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
MrTyke said:
Why 4-digits? Why not the last 5-digits, or 6-digits?
It could very well be more than the last 4 digits. I'm going off what I Googled and found at http://www.vinguard.org/vin.htm So however acurate that is...:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
A little over 4400 miles. I will check our assembly date. We got it off the truck on March 4. We park in a garage, and I do listen every time I can. I really believe it is thermal expansion and cooling of the metal.

I work on cars for a living and there many makes and models that click, pop, groan, whatever. This is not the only vehicle that does this. Just happens to be the loudest I can recall in the past 15 or so years. Again, mine has subsided. Hopefully everyone elses will too!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
we have one with 3200 Kms.

In the begining it would ping alot but it has supsided.

I guess after a little bit of driving it goes away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
AAAAAAAAlllllrighteeee then!!! Mileage 600: I had just driven away from work, drove maybe a quarter mile, and heard clanging sounds for the first time. Just a few. Very sporadic during my 15 mile drive home. After I turned off my engine, a couple more. Sounds like a little man with a hammer under my car. Damn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
I'm betting that after several heating/cooling cycles, it would sort of settle?
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top